ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Scratches on windows (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/123435-scratches-on-windows.html)

Andyv 19 August 2002 01:06 PM

Hi all,

Typical, three years click by and suddenly I notice a whole load of tiny scratches on the driver’s window. Speaking with the guys at Scoobysport they tell me they see a lot of cars like this, so what can I do now I've missed the warranty boat?

It's just started happening on the passenger window as well, but even worse the drivers window is making a bit of a clunking noise when it is opened about 75%.

Andy

LG John 19 August 2002 01:36 PM

Got a 1cm thick scratch line down my driver side window [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] Does anyone know a solution to hide/get rid of them?

19 August 2002 01:38 PM

It's defo a known issue, something to do with the pads in the door collecting grit/dust etc.

Not much help but I'm waiting on my dealer to tell me whether they have been given the go ahead to replace mine under warranty (MY00). I have 2x1cm scratches in the drivers side.

SCOSaltire 19 August 2002 01:56 PM

i have full length scratches on mine

keep thinking of mentioning it

mega_stream 19 August 2002 02:23 PM

I've had all 4 of my door windows replaced now under warranty :)

They have fitted modified pads, so they tell me.

jasonwrxowner 19 August 2002 04:21 PM

Goto a reputable glass or glazing manufacturer and thay should be able to supply you with some very fine etching compound. This will not remove them completly but it does a good job.

phaynes 19 August 2002 10:33 PM

All four gone on mine - To be brought up at 37500 service next month.

Paul
MY99 DBM Sport

DemonDave 19 August 2002 10:51 PM

Just had my front 2 replaced for the same fault. Warrenty

Dave. :)

ace2002 19 August 2002 11:36 PM

Maybe not but like you see on the RAC windscreen advert where they inject something into the crack to fill it in, wouldnt there be a way to apply that to the scratches on the glass?

Trumble 20 August 2002 08:31 AM

The clunking could be the triangluar plastic housing, that guides the window up. The rubber inside mine broke and it caused the window to be slowwww.. and then clunk at about 25% down.

Replaced under warranty. If you get a torch on it you should see the rubber inside all folded over on itself if its duff

T.
PS. Had one of my windows replaced too.

ozzy 20 August 2002 09:51 AM

Lads, it's a known problem so if your cars under warranty just get them replaced. I had both fronts on mine replaced a few months ago before the warranty expired.

Trouble is, they will just reappear over time as the dirt builds-up on the pads. The only way I can see preventing this is too take the door apart and clean the pads regularly :rolleyes:

Stefan

Andyv 20 August 2002 11:00 AM

Thanks for the advice... b1tch that I only noticed it too late for the warranty claim though.

Andy

ScoobyJawa 20 August 2002 11:22 AM

I had this and brought it up with Mill Lane Subaru while my car was still in warranty. Was basically told to take a long walk off a short peir [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] They said, glass never was and will be part of the warranty for replacement so tough. Not impressed since you guys have had yours done and mines now out of warranty. Grrrrrrr.

Jonto 20 August 2002 01:59 PM

Not entirely relavent, but i went to one of the IMO Car washs and they were jet washing the car before i went for the american style car wash, and the water sprayed round the window and seal, and completely soaked me and the inside of my car !

Good windows !

Gavin G 20 August 2002 02:32 PM

The two rear windows and the drivers window on my MY98 suffer from this and I've looked at a few other scoobs (even MY99 and MY00) and they seem to have it too - and even worse than mine.

However there is one thing I don't understand. My mate has recently bought a MY96 WRX STi Type RA. Its just in from Japan, has about 55K miles on it, mint condition and the four windows are TOTALLY scratch free.

Anybody have any ideas as to why this is? Is it because the Japanese wash their cars more often (hence no dirt!), different climate, the fact that the Type RA doesn't have electric windows?

Im puzzled.

Gavin G