ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   Mac OS X - Who uses it? (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/122828-mac-os-x-who-uses-it.html)

Markus 16 August 2002 03:55 PM

Am sitting here, tapping this on my Ti PB as I install the latest dev seed of Jaguar/Jag-wire/Mac OS X 10.2 on my main machine.

It's got me to thinking about how many people out there are actually using OS X in a commercial environment and why?

As you know, I work for a Macintosh developer so we have to run and test on the latest OS's and also develop software for OS X. But I want to know how many people are really using it. I know some of my clients are not, due to the fact that they run QuarkXPRESS and it's not released as a 'pure' X application yet.

I am only just going over to X as before now I have had no need to use it at all. All the support I do is for 9.x or less, ok, some Win NT/2000 and Mac OS X Server, but no real X client issues, but that is gonna change.

Just want to find out what benefits you found OS X has given you that 9.x did not have, cos I can't find that many at all.

[Edited by Markus - 8/16/2002 3:57:45 PM]

Scrappy2 16 August 2002 04:46 PM

I think once Quark is sorted OSX will become more popular - I've played on it and it looks nice and is quick, but as I'm a designer I think I'll stick to 9.2 for now...

ScoobyDoo555 19 August 2002 12:19 PM

I'm a professional MIDI programmer, using Emagic's Logic 5. Unfortunately, most of the audio packages are still 9.2 native.....

With Apple just buying out Emagic, I'll be intrigued to see what happens - in the meantime, it's 9.2 for me... :)

Dan

snowcrash 19 August 2002 12:29 PM

i use it (i have one on my desk now doing video editing) but we mainly use the macs for music (midi/mixing) stuff ...

[edited to say:]
agreed all the music macs are running 9 . as cubase doesn't like X

[Edited by snowcrash - 8/19/2002 1:19:27 PM]

snowcrash 19 August 2002 12:37 PM

[wrong thread - opps]

[Edited by snowcrash - 8/19/2002 1:18:04 PM]

RichB 19 August 2002 12:44 PM

I was a Mac programmer until a couple of years ago, didn't like it then, used it again this weekend and found it a bit annoying, I like the classic 9 OS more but only because I am used to it. We have a Mac X-Serve here too and the owner of that thinks it is much better. I hope to investigate more soon but I helped a friend set their iMac up and tried to install some Canon camera software which in MacOS9 is so easy to install and run even my Dad could do it! Unfortunatley it won't install under OSX nor will it run in classic mode under OSX so I had to write down a great long list of things to do to start up under OS9 just to run the Canon s/w.
Not impressed by that...

Give me OS9 anytime! (for now..)