ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Other Marques (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/)
-   -   anyone had a VR6 golf? (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/121844-anyone-had-a-vr6-golf.html)

mj 13 August 2002 06:56 PM

if so what are they like to drive.how quick?
it's for her indoors, but muggins will have to contribute.
looking to spend 6-7k.

ta.

mj.

NBW 13 August 2002 08:39 PM

I had one before I got the Scooby (and guess what, I'm now back in a Golf!). To put my comments into perspective, before that I had a 306GTi6:

Quick and refined. Lovely engine, smoother than a smooth thing that's been polished smooth. Laidback chassis suits the engine, encourages 'wafting' rather than racing, as will the fuel consumption (got 13mpg on a hard cross-country drive, never much more than 30). Nice gearchange - apparently one of the nicest ever in a Golf, makes it easy to drive.

Think if it as kind of a miniature limo with plenty of poke!

Cheers
Tim

[Edited by NBW - 8/13/2002 8:40:11 PM]

Steve Whitehorn 13 August 2002 08:56 PM

Yes..More limo than sports car.
I have owned one.
Great engine. Very quick/smooth. Fantatsic Q car if you take the badges off it. Feels faster than New V6 4 motion (Only has 5 gears as opposed to 4 motions 6).
Average brakes and very average handling. Poor for the power of the car - 2.9L V6 with Gti standard everything else.
Thirsty but I used to drive it hard.
Hope this helps
Steve

mj 13 August 2002 10:10 PM

yes it does help, she's got a poxy 1.4 cl at the moment with no power steering- have you ever driven a modern golf without the ps - its like a cheiftain.

made the drunken mistake of commiting to going halves on a car the other night, so it might aswell be something half decent, at least she's used to the size of a golf.

what mileage are they good for, most of the cars i see at 6-7k have about 60 thousand.

any other things to look out for?

Dracoro 13 August 2002 10:54 PM

it's a 2.8 btw. the corrado has the 2.9

Get the Corrado VR6 mate, an excellent car, far better than the golf and looks lovely(imho blah blah blah) and handles brilliantly.

And no, you can't buy mine :p ;)

Steve Whitehorn 14 August 2002 10:24 PM

Totally agree with Dracoro.
Go for Corrado not the golf. Corrado VR6 excellent motor
Best wishes
Steve

DominicA 15 August 2002 08:25 AM

Had the Golf before the first Impreza, was a GREAT car, doesn't do the adrenaline thing though.. forget the Corrado, you'll end up paying silly money..

IPALMER 15 August 2002 08:57 AM

mj
i've got one for sale in the "for sale section"

It really is in beautiful condition

I honestly cannot fault the car.

pictures available with standard wheels

regards IAIN.

[Edited by IPALMER - 8/15/2002 9:00:24 AM]

mj 15 August 2002 11:08 AM

Iain,
i've seen the car and it looks mint. if your up in manchester drop me a line.

what insurance grp is it?

TelBoy 15 August 2002 11:59 AM

I tested a few VR6's before i bought my Mk3 16v GTi.

I reckon the VR6 is the right car if you do a lot of motorway stuff, but round town my 16v'er feels a lot quicker, imo. VR6 just felt too unexciting for my taste, though overall on paper it's supposed to be the quicker car...

Terry

DMB 15 August 2002 01:13 PM

Had a vr6 as a loan car whilst the scoob was being serviced, nice car but the power seemed to overcome the traction with alarming ease :D (it was a damp day tho!)

IPALMER 15 August 2002 06:45 PM

mj

yhm

Disco Boy 15 August 2002 09:41 PM

My old man has an R reg Highline

Engine very smooth
V6 sounds great
Gear change very slick

On the whole quick although I have not driven it that much. Traction at front wheels dreadful in the wet (don't try quick getaways from side-roads/roundabouts).

I find the leather seats a bit slippery for my liking (I find myself sliding off them under hard breaking).

If I wasn't looking to buy a Scoob I would certainly consider one.

P.S. 30mpg is achievable on runs, but expect 22-23mpg with average, quick a-road driving.