ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   Software bandwidth bottleneck required (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/120233-software-bandwidth-bottleneck-required.html)

IWatkins 07 August 2002 03:39 PM

Hi All,

I have a small test LAN that consists of the following:

Machine A - Contains loads of data files
Machine B - Web server/FTP Server, plus loads of ISAPI DLLs
Machine C and D - Test clients for Machine B

All are connected to a 4 port hub. Fairly simple. The LAN is 100Mbit throughout.

Machine A FTP's data files to machine B. It does this in batches approx once an hour. Machine B then processes these on request via ISAPI DLLs, once a query comes in from Machine C or D.

Now then....

Machine B is running IIS (yes, I know), for both HTTP and FTP.

We want to limit the bandwidth between machine A and machine B with regards to FTP to simulate a low speed connection. I.e. operationally, machine A will be centrally held. Machine B and its clients will be on a fast LAN. The FTP of files will occur between machine A and B over different systems, be it ISDN, satellite etc.

So, I'm after some software that will sit on machine A or machine B and will limit the bandwidth available to the FTP session. So, I want to be able to say "ISDN" speed and the bandwidth during FTP be limited to 64kb etc.

Is there any software that can do this ? We need to test for different speeds for this link, so buying lots of different modems etc. is out.

Thanks in advance for any advice on this.

Cheers

Ian

dsmith 07 August 2002 03:45 PM

If you have even a small 2 port Cisco router, you could place it between the boxes and rate-limit the ftp traffic.

Deano

dsmith 07 August 2002 03:47 PM

ISDN, satellite etc
Be careful attempting to model high bandwidth/high latency connections like Satellite. The Latency will limit your throughput for a single connection more than the bandwidth.

Deano

IWatkins 07 August 2002 03:52 PM

Deano,
No, don't have even a small Cisco and our budget is quite tight. I'll have a scrouge about though, see if anybody has something of use. Just thought there might be a software solution, maybe in a test suite.

Fair point. I said satellite, but unlikely we ever will :D Much more likely over leased lines, ISDN etc.

Jeff Wiltshire 07 August 2002 04:05 PM

How about using the Bandwidth Throttling capabilities of IIS 5....?

It will effect Web & FTP however...

Jeff

IWatkins 07 August 2002 04:07 PM

Jeff,
Yes, saw that but we need the Web side of things to be unaffected for the end-to-end testing.

I just need something to limit the FTP sessions.

Cheers

Ian

dsmith 07 August 2002 04:08 PM

Again not what you want but I'm not a server man ....but....

How about old PC + Linux + 2xNics + IP forwarding + rate-limiting

Deano