ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Drivetrain (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/)
-   -   **Which ECU would you recommend** (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/119956-which-ecu-would-you-recommend.html)

john banks 08 June 2002 08:04 PM

The turbo on the standard car is useless and needs to go for good power - it is just too small. Hybrid just means it is not a standard model but uses other bits to make it more efficient in your chosen power band. See the www.brdevelopments.com site on the Link ECU. See www.ecutek.co.uk for the Ecutek ECUs.

If you want most possible power for least money it has to be turbo, fuel pump, manual boost controller and fuel cut defender. You might be able to do all that for £1250 in parts and might expect about 320 BHP on the more optimistic rolling roads. A remapped ECU in addition would finish the job nicely and would then do away with the fuel cut defender and manual boost controller. Forgot to say, since you have a MY01 look out for your injectors - I believe they may be smaller (?) and you may max them out with a lot more airflow.

[Edited by john banks - 8/6/2002 8:14:08 PM]

mbc 06 August 2002 06:30 PM

i own a my01 wrx, currently have ppp but have sold the ecu and other bits that come with the ppp which will leave me with the following mods

hks ti-tip back box
centre decat
hks centre section
blitz sus filter
scoobysport up and downpipe
hks ssq dump valve

i want to get a new mappable ecu with fmic and different turbo (not all at once :( lol), the ecu would be the first move (is this correct?) but unsure of which is the best one to get.

so to cut along story short what would be the ultimate set up and power gain ecu/turbo/fmic wise without blowing any internals

many thanks ;)

mike

john banks 06 August 2002 06:44 PM

Am replying as per your email request ;)

Mark Aigin (R19 KET) would be able to sort you a really good IHI VF hybrid turbo and fuel pump. You could run this little lot with a Dawes and a fuel cut defender, or go for an ECU.

Ecutek ECU remaps are not yet available for the MY01 but progress is very good indeed. BRDevelopments.com could do you a Link ECU, which has the bonus that you can get rid of your MAF sensor which would be nice with your induction kit and if you fit a FMIC.

mbc 06 August 2002 06:52 PM

thanks john

what is different about the hybrid turbo from the one i have at the mo and what does a link ecu do?

thanks
mike

mbc 06 August 2002 06:55 PM

u on msn?

mbc 06 August 2002 10:05 PM

thank you

SCOOBERATORS 06 August 2002 11:00 PM

I had the link ecu fitted to my old uk99 car and was very pleased with it.It ran very well with a vf23 turbo and held 18 psi (1.2 bar)This can be mapped for every modifacation you add to the car.
It was also from + fitted by Brdevelopments.

mbc 06 August 2002 11:27 PM

can the link do the same job as say a electronic boost controller?

David_Wallis 07 August 2002 01:03 AM

it will do a damn site more.. and youll never need to replace it.. just adjust settings for the mods you make....

I would go to bob every time... at the end of the day see www.brdevelopments.com give him a ring and have a chat about what youve got and what you want to achieve.. and he will help you achieve it, safely!

David

Trout... 07 August 2002 09:30 AM

....weren't APS claiming 450bhp on an STi 7 recently using standard internals and their S*40 turbo - said they had three cars running at this spec...

Trout :D

Gez 07 August 2002 11:18 AM

Another option is Gems! I have heard this to be quite a bit of kit. I dont know if its available on MY01> but it has some nice features like 2 switchable fuel maps, NO MAF, anti-lag etc etc.

Cheers

Gez

Joules 07 August 2002 01:52 PM

I am running a GEMS and have been 110% pleased with it.

If you want more info mail me at home

Joules

mbc 07 August 2002 03:19 PM

thansk guys you lot are an encyclopedia of sccoby info :D ,is your car a my01 joules?

cheers

looks favourable to be the link ecu at the mo

mike