ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Best Short Term Investment Interest Rates ? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/117806-best-short-term-investment-interest-rates.html)

DJ Dunk 30 July 2002 09:27 AM

I have a friend who has £150k to invest short term, probably for about 4-5 months. There must be no risk attached.

Does anyone know of a good site to investigate the best rates of return for this short period ? Even a basic deposit account will do.

And before anyone asks, no they won't lend it to you ;)

RichB 30 July 2002 09:36 AM

Premium bonds!
Only do 20k a time but I'll happily register sdome for him.
No risk, get your money back, might win a :cool: million...then again might not... :(

P20SPD 30 July 2002 09:48 AM

yeah no definate growth though!

try moneyfacts

these provide the daily/weekly/monthly stats for all this sort of stuff. if wanting absolutley no risk then its sounding like a good deposit account or a moneymarket account with one of the banks.

please note this is merely a suggestion and not a recommendation. the choice is his at the end of the day!! not mine.

if i had that amount of wedge and wanted it secure for that long i think i would do a 90day moneymarket account for 90 days suprisingly and then month or 7days depening on how much notice i would need to give.

please note once again this is only my own opinion and not a recommendation.

DJ Dunk 30 July 2002 09:55 AM

MarkO 30 July 2002 10:01 AM

Erm, put it on deposit. Anything else is too risky - and he specified no risk.

We're selling our house to move to Scotland, and hence will have about 100-150k of equity burning a hole in our pockets which will need to be invested for a few months whilst we rent and house-hunt. So the other night, I asked my dad (an IFA of 25-30 years) what I should do with the money. He said just put it on deposit, as anything else (short-term) is too risky.

chuckster 30 July 2002 10:16 AM

Alot of the e-accounts are very good. I put a bit in a Barclays e-saver account a few months ago when it paid 1.5% more than any of the other barclays accounts. Instant access (via transfer into current account) etc. Only problem was they lopped 1% off the rate a few weeks back. and didn't tell me [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] so I'm moving it to Northern Rock.
Chuck

P20SPD 30 July 2002 10:42 AM

the moneymarket accounts tend to give better rates than the deposit accounts. they actually tell you how much interest you will earn over the period of the deposit. any of the mainstreet banks will have them just ask for a good rate. the longer the period, ie 90 days, the better the rate. dont chose 90 days if you are going to need it 40 days or you get heavily penalised.

father_jack 30 July 2002 10:48 AM

Egg are doing 5% - you can only open it with 10k to start, but then you can dump the rest in immediately. We've got half a house sitting in there.
If you press F5 you can see the amount going up :D :D :D

Northern Rock are doing 7% on a cash/bond split, but egg is the better deal.