ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   Good PC Sequencer app for guitarists (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/115767-good-pc-sequencer-app-for-guitarists.html)

IanWatson 23 July 2002 03:39 PM

I'm getting to grips with playing the old acoustic gee-tar - but don't have anyone to jam with in the evenings over here :( ;)

I'm looking for a program that will let me put some backing tracks together to play along with. Want to be able to program basic drum patterns, a keyboard track and maybe some horn lines if I'm being ambitious.

I'm comfortable with on-screen keyboard input, or preferably clicking onto a stave/score - crotchets, quavers and such like.

I've just bought a Creative Audigy card - hopefully I can use the internal sounds on that as I've got no other MIDI equipment. I don't think anything was bundled with the card (OEM) and if it was, it's all in Dutch..

Other proviso is low price/freeware if poss (just bought a money-pit of an apartment) although I'd hate to rule any suggestions out.

ScoobyDoo555 23 July 2002 03:56 PM

The obvious one is Steinberg/Propellerhead Reason.

You can download it from here:-

http://www.propellerheads.se/

Granted, it's a demo version, but apparently, you can get a patch that turns the demo into the real thing ;)

Otherwise, you could look at Steinberg Cubase VST (you'll have to use your sound card as the sound source), however, VST is cr@p (IMHO).

You can also look at Band-In-A-Box, Cakewalk....

The other one to look for is Emagic Logic Platinum - this is the easiest and fastest to use. It is also the most powerful.

Before anybody challenges, YES! I know EXACTLY what I'm talking about - don't argue!!!!!!! ;)

Hope this helps. :)

Dan

IanWatson 23 July 2002 04:02 PM

Dan- you're a diamond - I'll check 'em out tonight..

If they're rubbish, I'll know who to blame ;)

Dizzy 23 July 2002 04:55 PM

www.guitar-pro.com

iirc its great for playing along with as it shows the tab u want to learn and all the backing :D

[edited to say]
maybee its not quite what your after but I know what you mean :D I'll have a look myself 2nite

[Edited by Dizzy - 7/23/2002 4:57:15 PM]

IanWatson 23 July 2002 05:10 PM

does look v interesting Dizzy - cheap too, so may give it a whirl.

Have you used it much? Maybe mail me offline?

Would probably need something like the Propellorhead Reason as well, though..

GaryK 23 July 2002 05:34 PM

you might want to check out www.line6.com/guitarport its a hardware effects unit but also has an online (subscribtion based) website with *loads* of tunes you can jam along too, have only had a brief look so far.

Gary

ScoobyDoo555 23 July 2002 05:49 PM

Apologies - I've just read back my post (the phrase "Never post in anger" springs to mind)

Everybody - sorry if I sounded like a knob!!! :rolleyes: Had a REAL bad day - still, NO excuse... :(

Forgot about the Line6/Pod stuff.... really good :)

Reason is easy to use, however, please bear in mind that these are professional packages (the stuff that the big boys and studios/MIDI programmers use......) I only mention this because they're designed to be used with synths, samplers etc..... although sound card compatability is pretty good too. :)

Still, they're not THAT difficult..... ;)

I'll just call security and have myself thrown out of the building....... :D

Dan

IanWatson 24 July 2002 09:07 AM

Dan - your post seemed OK to me!

Cheers for the help - downloaded the Guitar Pro thing and the Propellerhead Reason last night (120k per sec and 140 k per sec simultaneously :D I love Broadband in Amsterdam)

Couldn't seem to get any sound output from Reason - need to mess with the sound card I think.

cheers for the help

ScoobyDoo555 24 July 2002 02:32 PM

Reason - you need to select the right sound output in the preferences menu..... IIRC.... :)

Dan

Dizzy 24 July 2002 03:32 PM

I've never payed a penny for Guitar pro... although as you say it is cheep.

I've never done anything with it except load a song and play along with it... there are literaly thousands of songs if you download the full songbook :)