ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Suspension (https://www.scoobynet.com/suspension-12/)
-   -   ADVICE PLEASE - EIBACHS OR COILOVERS (https://www.scoobynet.com/suspension-12/115627-advice-please-eibachs-or-coilovers.html)

Krud 23 July 2002 07:36 AM

I have a MY00 wagon with 18's, and was going to have Eibachs fitted to standard suspension. Now considering Avos. What are the advantages apart from rideheight? I do only one or two trackdays a year. Rest of time is normal road use. Is it worth it?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Mo 23 July 2002 09:03 AM

Personally, I'd stick with the Eibachs.

I've had both and found that the AVOs compromise spirited B road driving. I found Eibachs to work well on track and only changed as I started using slicks (which the Eibachs couldn't cope with)

Save your money...

Pavlo 23 July 2002 10:15 AM

Mouseman will possibly have some eibach springs for sale shortly, as he is getting some AVO coil overs.

I will be getting the AVOs, the main attraction for me is the ease of changing springs, which otherwise is a pain for my Legacy Estate, as the normal impreza springs are too soft at the rear (Legacy is heavier).

Paul

Kippax 23 July 2002 11:34 AM

depends if you want your car to handle like a mondeo or a touring car m8

rich101 23 July 2002 12:17 PM

My 2p

I had Eibach's on a MY01 and for the money they were very good. Gave the car real poise for fast road driving and confidence when braking hard.

Note - to any STD MY01 owners, you must test drive/change to Eibach's with the geometry setup properly the difference is amazing to the point that it is a different car.

However I did find that the std. dampers when used in conjunction were fairly poor, spirited driving on typical country lanes and poorly repaired hollows in tarmac ( road been dug up / filled in /dug up filled in ... ) made the car very !bouncy!

After 7 months and 3000 miles, decided to go for the Leda kit. I was concerned that 18" alloys with Leda would make the car to compromised for the type of roads I frequent, however this setup is pin sharp in terms of handling and feedback. Without any of excessive crashiness and tramlining.

rich

Krud 23 July 2002 06:40 PM

Many thanks for your help guys - the above is extremely useful information.

Nathan L 23 July 2002 07:40 PM

Keith

So which is it then ? I have the same dilema at the moment.

Nathan..

ScoobyK 23 July 2002 09:33 PM

Quite Keith...come on, how was the comparison run today ???? ;)

Andy.F 23 July 2002 09:37 PM

I had a run in John Bank's car the other day and I must say it felt well planted on the Eibachs. Very stable, little roll and comfortable. Excellent road set up IMHO.
If you are likely to catch the track day 'bug' then coilovers may be more appropriate but if it's just twice a year then I wouldn't bother with them.

Andy

Krud 24 July 2002 10:17 PM

Nathan - what Mo and Andy said in particular was echoed by Trouser himself - so for now its Eibachs based on my own particular vehicle use. If I was doing significantly more track days then I would have gone for coilovers. Happy to discuss the ins and outs further with you in detail if it helps.

ScoobyK 26 July 2002 10:15 PM

Well Keith...good trip ?? Smiles all the way home ?! :D

Nathan L 27 July 2002 01:15 PM

How much lower does she sit Keith ?

Nathan.

ScoobyK 27 July 2002 01:50 PM

Come on Keith, the "suspense" ( ;) ) is killing me !

Nathan, he's prob so happy he's still driving home ! :D

Nathan L 27 July 2002 02:23 PM

More like he's lost.

Silvery pants man has taken over ;):D:D

ScoobyK 27 July 2002 03:17 PM

Oh my god ! You're right m8, well, the book did say there was another installment....perhaps it's on video this time :eek:

Krud 28 July 2002 03:07 PM

Cor - just got back (Sunday PM) cos was at Castle Combe yesterday.

Car is completely fabbo and I am now known as "Mr Grin". Had the test drive in Trousers car (awesome) and then in mine afterwards!!!! "Take that bend at 100" Paul says, so you do as you are told, don't you".

Chuffed to buggery and beyond are both of us - Julia has done all the driving since I got back from TSL. Looking forward to MY next drive soonest.

Also very pleased with centre pipe - spools up 500rpm earlier - or seems to!

y