ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ICE (https://www.scoobynet.com/ice-2/)
-   -   Replacement Speakers (https://www.scoobynet.com/ice-2/115366-replacement-speakers.html)

Petrol-Head 22 July 2002 12:47 PM

I just want to upgrade the standard stereo in the Sport, is it easy to replace standard speakers by doing a stright swap with some Alpine's or JBL's etc ? also the cable that goes to the c.d unit in the boot is is possible just to buy a head unit and changer and use the existing cable ??? Thanks for any replies ! :)

chiark 22 July 2002 01:04 PM

Hi, you'll want 6 or 6.5 inch speakers, not too deep (dimension wise) otherwise your windows won't open. A 12mm MDF collar may be necessary.

What lead have you already got fitted? Chances are that you'll need a new one fitting.

For a read when you're bored, try the FAQ

Cheers!
Nick.

Petrol-Head 22 July 2002 01:20 PM

The current lead to the changer in the rear is the orginal Subaru one.....thanks :)

chiark 22 July 2002 01:22 PM

In that case, assuming you've got an MY00 or earlier, it's Philips. Chances are that you don't want to replace it with a Philips system ;)

It isn't difficult to run the CD changer cable.

Petrol-Head 22 July 2002 01:23 PM

I've got a S/99, the deck and changer are Panasonic, i just didn't want to run the cable again...they're usually a pain taking up the carpet etc.

babber 22 July 2002 01:40 PM

Petrol-Head,

It's so easy to run a new CD changer cable to the boot, there's no need to remove the seats and carpet. If you remove the trim by the side of the seats (back and front) you'll see a lovely plastic conduit to run the cables in. It's so easy!! Don't use pants Phillips stuff, it's crap ;)

As for replacement speakers, I have fitted four Infinity CS605 component speakers with cross overs. They drop straight into the front door panels (once you find the metal spacer in the box) and the door even has a nice slot to fit the cross over units in. The infinities fit straight in the rear as well, although the parcel shelf cover is a little hard to remove :eek: I got my Infinity CS 605 from Bass Junkies in Wolverhampton on 01902 863005, for £90 and are well worth it IMHO. I was running then on the head unit and they sounded good. I fitted a 100 watt RMS four channel Apline V12 at the weekend and they now sound fantastic ;)

Hope this helps mate.

Cheers Phill C

Petrol-Head 22 July 2002 01:46 PM

Thanks to all for replies ! :)
Will pop down my local hi-fi shop lucnhtime and have a look, at least i'll know a little more about what i'm talking about now !!!

:)

gareth60 22 July 2002 11:12 PM

I'd get them off the internet if I was you, a lot of savings over the regular hifi shop.

Try http://www.mcs-direct.co.uk , Thats were I got my headunit and speakers from.

Cheers
Gareth.

SlowBoy 23 July 2002 08:04 PM

If you're gonna shop around I recommend Mobile World in either Hounslow, W.London, or they have a concessions counter in one of the big shops in Tottenham Court Road, in central London. I found the latter is better for customer service. Excellent for Alpine stuff in particular.

[Edited by SlowBoy - 7/23/2002 8:06:21 PM]

King RA 25 July 2002 01:59 AM

babber, do you run the 605's on this amp: Alpine MRVF540. I was thinking of the same setup but with a RF Punch 500x (62.5wRMS x 4). Do you think this would be suitable?? What do you think of the INF Kappa 60.5's????

SlowBoy 26 July 2002 05:50 PM

King RA

I've got Kappas. I think they're worth the extra cash. If you're looking for an alternative to the 605cs, for the same money, look at the Alpine SPRs. As for the amp, I like the Rockford stuff. I find the Alpine a little hard sounding, but don't know how the Rockford would sound with the infinity. Should be OK.

babber 27 July 2002 05:25 PM

King RA,

I'm running the Infinity CS605 speakers on an Alpine MRV-F307 (that I got from Bass junkies for £165 :eek:) and it really does sound superb ;) Have the amp at half volume at the moment and it sounds lovely :D:D

Cheers Phill C

fireblade929 29 July 2002 09:47 AM

Just fitted GT6 JBL components, they needed a MDF 12mm spacer. I tried to use the existing bracket as per the recent excellent email on this subject, but the JBL's don't seem suited. 20 minutes after finding the jigsaw and the speakers where in place.

my car is an MY99, but I have fitted these speakers to earlier impreza's with less problems.

As other people have mentioned, I now need an amp for them, and maybe some attention to the trim to stop vibration.

hth
Andy Holmes