ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Other Marques (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/)
-   -   Rav 4 - Should we buy one? (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/113084-rav-4-should-we-buy-one.html)

Shark 14 July 2002 07:41 PM

Chelsie needs a car now she has a new job.

Anyone care to share experence of the Rav?

Cheers

David

ids 14 July 2002 09:28 PM

David

Hy other half has a Y Plate Rav4. (new shape)

Before she had a Honda CRX Vti..... but loves the Rav4. She has a burgendy 3 door NX but its one with all the extra bits fitted like side boards, front chrome bumper etc.

They are really well put together and with a 2.0l VVi engine can me made to move ! (she thinks as fast as my STi UK :) ;) ) Not bad on fuel either, expecially on long runs.

They handle pretty well for an on-road 4x4. I'd say the transmissions nothing like a Land Rover off road but thats not the point of em, is it ? Also inside they are real well kitted out with cubby holes everywhere, nice and easy to drive etc. Decentish brakes, controls are a bit light for my liking but for women !

We have two dogs (and they re banned from the back seat of the STi !) and they travel in style ! - hence the change from a 2 doot convertible.

Does that help ?

Ids

jetskidia 15 July 2002 10:43 AM

Before you consider an inferior product , check this out !!!

1998, R-reg, but with plate J2 CRV.
Excellent condition with, F.S.H by Honda main dealer. 12 mths MOT. 18 mths manufacturers warranty. Immob. Elec windows/Elec sunroof/ Elec mirrors. Air con, ABS, Twin airbags, New tyres, Remote locking, New Radio & CD multichanger, Towbar & twin electrics.
Company car forces sale.
All excellent condition, any test welcomed. Good price for quick sale.
£ 7750
e-mail me for details
jetskidia@aol.com
Chris

Jay m A 15 July 2002 01:38 PM

My girlfriends got an M reg 3door.

Its great! :) Utterly reliable, nippy, fun to drive. She's got the GX which has all the electrics. If theres anything thats slightly negative then its the fact that its an 8v and runs out of puff at around 5000rpm (well it seems that way if you're used to 16v), but you can adapt your style and use its considerable low down torque. Also the short wheelbase and tall body makes it not as stable as others at motorway speeds.

Overall its a good car to own, its got character, shes really pleased with it and I don't get bored of driving it either. Short back and sides, sir? ;)

Justin

Rich D 15 July 2002 03:23 PM

My mum has an R-Reg 5 door Rav4 GX, which she has had from new.

Great car to drive and not at all like a numb 4wd.

Well built, totally reliable (not 1 fault ever), cheap to service, well specced up, good performance & handling for a 4wd, used for towing as well and it's great for that.

She loves it and is not planning to get rid of it for the forseable future.

Toerag 16 July 2002 11:37 AM

Errrr.......How about a Forester?

AJbaseBloke 16 July 2002 12:19 PM

nuthin wrong with a RAV4 i guess - based on corolla platform et al.

I prefer the forester for crash safety and balance in an emergency situation, esp the new one.

*note: this not to slag off owners of RAV4s, just MHO.

Shark 16 July 2002 06:47 PM

Thanks for your input all - very helpfull.

jetskidia

Thought about the CR-V, but she realy likes the Rav - sorry.

David

stanmo 17 July 2002 08:46 PM

I haven't driven the new one, but my wife got fed up with the old model 5dr GX which we had for 3 years, and traded it in for an H6 Outback.

Part of the disatisfaction was the dealer service (the salesman filled in the customer satisfaction form himself, btw), at generally being unable to find recurring faults, our alarm would go off sporadically, when asked to arm without the internal sensors (for sleeping children or pets).

We tried towing with it; I don't advise anything other than a small trailer. We somehow managed to drive to the Isle of Wight towing a 1200 kg caravan; but only after I used practically every expletive known to man. God knows how the trendy horsey set manage with their Freelanders and a horse box :)
Looking at the spec, it does suffer from a lack of torque.
The new model addresses this, but still isn't much more powerful, apparently.

My wife complained about understeer, I noticed that it would bite quite suddenly without much warning round bends, but then we've both driven my Impreza.

Other than that, it's an adequate runaround, boot is big enough for a full size pram half collapsed, visibility is good and residuals are healthy, rolls like a barge round corners, seats lack a bit of thigh support, not much space in the back for adults.

Diablo 18 July 2002 11:55 AM

Yes :)

Go drive one, you'll be persuaded.

D

stanmo 18 July 2002 01:02 PM

A crime, considering you can pick up a second hand WRX STI wagon for similar. Or a recent UK Impreza 5dr / WRX for that matter.

Prams fit in those too...btw