ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Wheels, Tyres & Brakes (https://www.scoobynet.com/wheels-tyres-and-brakes-13/)
-   -   Tramlining (https://www.scoobynet.com/wheels-tyres-and-brakes-13/112830-tramlining.html)

Haggistrap 12 July 2002 11:37 PM

Is this when the car follows the “camber” of the road? My MY98 Wagon seems to do this quite aggressively at times. When on a flat road it will go straight so tracking OK. But when the road is at a slight angle it will pull to the side.

The car has Bridgestone tyres which I am looking to change to Toyo’s?? soon.

ex-webby 13 July 2002 05:14 AM

firstly... I peronally love toyo t1s's..

tramlining is where the tyres thrust left and right over imperfections / undulations in the road...

it is caused by the same effects that cause camber thrust. If a tyre hits a bit of road that is cambered in comparrison to the tyre, it will thrust towards the highest point of the camber... ie if the part of the road that the left front tyre is on cambers to the right (the left hand side is higher than the right), the front left tyre will thrust towards the left to try to climb the slope.

When the entire road is cambered and the car steers downwards, this is not tramlining.

All the best

Simon

Geoff Drucquer 13 July 2002 10:27 AM

I had the same problem with bridgestones, particularly when you hit white lines. Currently using Pirelli P6000s - the problem has gone away

SG 13 July 2002 04:13 PM

The REO10,s that came standard on my MY00 did this. Steering seemed to wander all over the road. Moved onto TOYO T1,s when I upgraded to 17,s No probs with them.

Shaun

Wuss 13 July 2002 05:05 PM

I had the same problem with the Bridgestones as well. After changing to Goodyear Eagle F1's, which are absolutely f**king excellent by the way, I realised just how BAD the Bridgestones were!! No more Tramlining and the traction in the wet is simply unbelievable - 'rain, what rain?'

W.

Claudius 14 July 2002 06:34 PM

The Eagle F1s are good in the wet, but very poor on the dry road.

Stuart J 15 July 2002 09:01 PM

The problem "in my opinion !" may well be bridgestones. My STI was fantastic on SO2's but tramlined like mad on SO3's, Changed to TOYO & problem solved. Some people recomend running higher pressures with the SO3 but I gave up before I had experimented with pressures. Go back throuth the last couple of months & you will find this has been discused at length.
Stuart

SiPie 16 July 2002 12:59 PM

As mentioned by Stuart J, this has been covered in detail, but to summarise....

Bridgestone SO3's tramline like mad on 16" wheels (slightly better when front pressure increased to 36psi/back 32psi, but reduction in wet grip)

And as mentioned by other peeps' the Toyos sort this out and IMHO take the p1ss out of the SO3's in every department. People with 17" wheels seem to have less complaints with the SO3's. Plus the Toyos are cheaper and mytyres.net deliver when they say they will..

Cheers

NutterKam 18 July 2002 11:29 PM

I concur totally - car will skip all over the place on Bridgestone RE10s (even a heavy Legacy estate)

jamesjones 18 July 2002 11:49 PM

Just got rid of the tramlining Bridgestone RE010 OEM tyres and replaced them with 4 Toyos for £332 all in. Only driven 12 miles and already chuffed to bits with them. Reduced noise and no tramlining. I'll bed them in before I really find out about the grip.

J