ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Interior (https://www.scoobynet.com/interior-15/)
-   -   Blue bulb dashboard conversion (https://www.scoobynet.com/interior-15/112276-blue-bulb-dashboard-conversion.html)

Huxley 13 October 2002 07:16 PM

SDukes can you email me the pictures as i cant see tham on the bbs i think it's due to Norton internet security blocking them

Thanks Huxley

Paul I will be in touch in the week.

HKSubaru 14 October 2002 01:39 AM

what are the price for them? and will they work on a lockwood white dial kit?

Jaay 29 October 2002 06:21 PM

Can I have some mail too please. I quite fancey doin this, Ive had to replace bulbs on the very retro Digital Dash from a Mk2 Gte and it was pretty straight forward. Can ne1 e-mail me an insight to this new look :), some hints and tips and where to get the bulbs would be sound. 96 Sti btw.

Ta heaps

BoxerFlat4 29 October 2002 07:53 PM

Jaay -

You have mail.

Paul Houbart
Gecko Motorsport

Huxley 31 October 2002 08:39 PM

Jaay what do you think then:):):):):)

Are you going to get rid of the Green dash lights?

http://www.subaru555.btinternet.co.uk/Leds.jpg

Edited to say these will also fit the side lights and side repeters and any other 10mm wedge lamp holder

Huxley

[Edited by Huxley - 10/31/2002 8:41:36 PM]

Jaay 09 November 2002 11:57 PM

Aye, I def want to get some of these they look the dug's Danglies, I have no fear of taking the dash out but I thought I saw someone mention Soldering. Is there soldering to be done??
Can you accept switch ??
Ta
J

stephen30 10 November 2002 12:09 AM

No soldering on mine. Just plug 'n' play fo the old ones. Have to agree they do look the dogs dangly bits.

Steve :cool:

Justy1 10 November 2002 04:10 AM

Stephen when you say you didn't have to do any soldering, did you only replace the dash bulbs or was it the heater controls and cigarette lighter socket too.

Has anyone done their digital clock??

I've just ordered some for my wrx sti 5 and was hoping they would go straight in.

Cheers, Justin.

BoxerFlat4 10 November 2002 10:56 AM

Huxley - YHM !? Let me know mate....

I believe SDuke should have an update on these for us shortly ... :D

Paul Houbart
Gecko Motorsport

[Edited by BoxerFlat4 - 10/12/2002 12:55:58 PM]

stephen30 10 November 2002 11:04 AM

I did the lot dash, heater controls and the cigarette lighte and definately no soldering.

Steve :cool:

Justy1 10 November 2002 09:33 PM

Cheers, hope mine is the same, dont fancy fiddling with solder!

Imprezive 10 November 2002 11:25 PM

Hi, is it possible to do the clock blue??????prob not i think:(
and also, has anyone stuck these blue lamps in the side lights??,
if so got any pics??, if the clock can be done, i'm gona change everything to blue, but green clock wi blue hvac controlls????,
ill have to think some more.

Cheers
B.

Justy1 11 November 2002 06:16 PM

Did you do your clock Stephen?, enquiring minds wanna know!!
I have been told that it is possible, just one blue bulb behind the clock apparently works a treat, can you confirm this??
Cheers

Huxley 11 November 2002 07:32 PM

I seem to remember someone saying that they put blue film in front of the clock the sort you get from a Disco shop.

I have a picure someware of the new blue look clock that was sent to me i will try and find it.

I have done the side lights with the blue then red then yellow LED's but it looks to maxpower for my liking so i stuck to the White LED's in the sidelights.

Huxley

Imprezive 15 November 2002 09:35 PM

Huxly, the blue 'disco film' is really theatrical lighting gell, used for colouring film n theatre lights, comes in the most huge range, with about maybe 10-20 shades of blue,
can send you some samples if you need, im thinking of doing inside the rear screen heater switch, fogs, and washer switches, just not got round to getting blue dash lamps etc, (got to do all blue at once),

Cheers.

Huxley 15 November 2002 10:44 PM

Thanks Imprezive that would be very kind of you.

I will mail you my address.

Thanks
Huxley

T3RBO 18 November 2002 01:56 AM

Really want to do the 'blue' thing!!

Not very elctrically minded - anyone near me that has done it and could lend a hand (got beer :D)

cheers

Imprezive 20 November 2002 10:01 PM

Huxley,, did you receive the colours?, what do you think and have you tried fitting any yet???

Cheers,
B.

Huxley 21 November 2002 12:56 AM

Not yet !

I will check the mailbox again

Thanks Huxley

Imprezive 26 November 2002 09:58 PM

Huxley, you should have rec'd the day after posting, was works mail, so should be no prob,, was a white jiffy bag.

Cheers.
B

Huxley 27 November 2002 06:26 PM

Yes sorry for the delay, thank you very much we have got it now my fault Thought it was coming to our house not the Po box:rolleyes:

Looks like I will be busy at the weekend.

Huxley

Imprezive 28 November 2002 06:46 PM

Nice 1 m8

cheers
B

CELL 04 December 2002 09:29 AM

OK people, i have managed to get the dash and heater controls done on my 96 UK turbo, without too much trouble. However i am stuck for ideas on the cig lighter. I got the centre console half out,(I didnt have enough time to take the console out properly) and managed to get the bulb out ok but i couldnt see how to fix the new blue bulb in place.
Has anyone done the cig lighter on a 96 UK turbo, i would be grateful of any pointers or advise anyone can give me.

I would like to put some pics up when i have done the job properly, but i cant get the pics to come out in focused :confused: does anyone know how to do these with a digital cam?

Thanks

Chris

beanchimp 10 December 2002 01:17 AM

Another update on the Blue Dash conversion :)

I have a MY00 EU Dutch Import, (not sure if anyone else has converted there dash to blue for this model)

I spent most of the afternoon (well ALL of the afternoon) with Paul from Gecko (www.thegecko.biz) who kindly organised for my exhaust to be fitted at Prosport in STockport, and he kindly took me there & back to pick up my car once fitted (many thanks Paul)

Unfortunatley there wasnt time for us to fit the blue bulbs, but I bought them and took them away to try myself

It turns out my car only has one 10mm bulb that will take the new blue bulb (this is the fuel/temp gauge, which looks good btw)

all the rest of the bulbs are the much smaller (look like 6mm, but my eyesight aint what it used to be), and looks like I cant mod the bulbs to fit, as I think the holes are too small

I will check the heater panel, cig lighter & switches, to check what size and type of bulb are in these to see if I can at least get those changed

My dash was easy to take out, slightly different to the original instructions, as there are only two screws holding the cover in place, with a gentle tug each side at the bottom, this soon came out

Then there are only 3 screws (2 bottom, 1 at the top) holding in the dials, and then two green connector blocks, at the top, one each side ( i had difficulty removing these tho, so left them where they were, at least till daylight appears)

I could move the dials around relatively easy, to get access to the bulbs tho

I will let you all know how I get on, and how many bulbs will be needed of this size, incase Paul can source a supply that wont involve him having to buy a 1000 at a time

Hope this helps other MY00 owners looking to do the same

Steve

beanchimp 10 December 2002 12:28 PM

Ok another follow up

Just pulled out my heater section, and the bulbs are exactly the same as the dash ones (very small (about 6mm I think), but although they are clear bulbs, they have a light green rubber sleeve, so I guess I might be able to change them for blue sleeves, if i can find any

The cigarette lighter is exactly the same, green sleeve over the bulb

Steve

Huxley 10 December 2002 11:28 PM

I'm on the case of the 6mm lamps i'm just waiting to hear from our supplier.

Huxley

beanchimp 11 December 2002 02:46 AM

Thx Huxley

Paul (from Gecko) told me he would look into the 6mm bulbs too

but atm they want something like a 1000 as a minimum !!!

Steve

ScoobyWhite 17 December 2002 10:32 AM

The blue lights that we see where it is just for the dials right????

And if I want to change the complete dash board lights to blue?
Can I do this???
Where can I buy??

Thanks

Huxley Chick 17 December 2002 06:43 PM

No you can do the heater controls and fag lighter as well,on some of the newer scoobs they require some work to fit the heater controls but you can't do the switch gear as of yet.

Huxley on H.C pc

SDUKES 18 December 2002 11:58 AM

The 6mm bulbs needed a very small soldering to keep them in place.. easy peasy.
Not done the cigarette lighter though... how does that come out?

Simon (MY95 WRX)