ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Got a spare £4K? Why not buy a house!! (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/111561-got-a-spare-4k-why-not-buy-a-house.html)

AndyC_772 09 July 2002 08:00 AM

Hehe... I wonder if they take credit cards?

RaZe-=Buzz=- 09 July 2002 08:14 AM

eeeeeeuuuuuuwwwwwwwwwwwww.............

erm....no thanks. Not my taste :D

AndyC_772 09 July 2002 09:00 AM

If you lived locally, you could gut the place and turn it into a handy garage...?

Bravo2zero_sps 09 July 2002 09:03 AM

I wonder if it comes with free squatters? :D

Dream Weaver 09 July 2002 09:55 AM

There are lots of terraced houses in my region of Lancs for circa £3/4k - they are rough areas, but it is amazing to think you can buy a house for the price of a small car :eek:

DW

Luke 09 July 2002 12:24 PM

Rent them out as B&B to the DHS... Best way of making money

DrEvil 09 July 2002 01:03 PM

Is this a wind up - are some houses really that cheap up north??

I recently enquired about buying the 1 bedroom flat I rent - they suggested it would cost £125,000 in Guildford! :eek:

Bravo2zero_sps 09 July 2002 01:05 PM

Its no joke, I watched panorama 2 weeks ago and it was on the housing market and there are loads of properties like this up north! :eek: But from the program showing u the neighbourhood there is a very god reason for them being the prices they are!!!

cletterridge 09 July 2002 01:10 PM

Remember that Newcastle estate that the council were selling off for 50p per house?

I soooo wanted to buy up the whole lot and turn it into urban paintball....

Katana 09 July 2002 01:47 PM

I wonder if it comes with free squatters?
Dude, thats like a bonus. We can use them as slaves or as subjects for our genetic experiments. Who knows, we might even get a government grant on this.

Group buy anyone?

dogmaul 09 July 2002 01:47 PM

thats the problem i have in york, i have no chance of been able to move out of parents place due to no house been on the market in york for less than 80k and thats in the bad areas too yeah its fine if i wanted to move to a bad area of leeds or doncaster i would be able to pick a house up for about 10k for a 3 bed semi but then i wouldnt get the car insured :)

Dream Weaver 09 July 2002 01:50 PM

Is this a wind up - are some houses really that cheap up north??
Alex - they really are this cheap up here compared to down south, and not just in the not so nice areas either.

I live in a lovely village, which is a highly desirable place to live around here. House prices are far more than other towns nearby, but nothing compared to down South.

Your £125k would get you a lovely detached house up the road from me with 3/4 bedrooms, drive, big garden, garage etc etc :)

DW

MarkO 09 July 2002 02:15 PM

Erm, get a better-paid job? :p

Bravo2zero_sps 09 July 2002 02:17 PM

I know exactly what u mean m8, house prices and the amount you can borrow, which as I understand is 3.5 times your salary, don't come anywhere near earnings of the general public, and if you live down sowf like I do it still doesn't help with earning loads more because the house prices are so much more. I only got on the ladder due to very generous parents initially helping me out to start off with and being able to make some equity on my first property very rapidly and now am on my own 2 feet but still very restricted on what I can look at, ie 1 bed flats in nice areas or 2 bed houses in rough areas. If it wasn't for parents help I would be still living at home! Mind u I think my parents fore-saw that situation and promptly lended me some money :D !!!

The current situation just doesn't work, for example if you were on 25k down here then u can borrow upto 87k, now unfortunately 87k where I live buys you the bottom of the pile accomodation at best so how the hell is anyone supposed to get on the ladder. It is a complete joke, except it isn't funny! With prices going up so much then there should be an adjustment with how much you can borrow but thats far too sensible and helpful so first time buyers are stuffed! And where are all the 'affordable' new houses that the building companies are supposed to make? No definition of afordable means they never make houses that young people/first time buyers can buy [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

dogmaul 09 July 2002 02:33 PM

hey if you can find me a better paid job i will take it :) im a network administrator who supports 4 nt servers 2 file print, 1 iis/exchange and 1 sql. 170 users the telephone system and anything else you care to mention :)

Nimbus 09 July 2002 02:38 PM

Now Sold SSC.

OK. Who wants to own up to buying it??? :D

MarkO 09 July 2002 02:44 PM

Dogmaul - you ever thought of contracting? :D

dogmaul 09 July 2002 02:56 PM

oh it would be nice but i cant have the uncertainty of contracting.
I just have to wait till my gran dies then i get her place :(

Figment 09 July 2002 04:09 PM

Now, if it was on a corner plot, might be worthwhile investing.

Bravo2zero_sps 09 July 2002 04:11 PM

Nah I heard corner plots go for £3,900 over priced if you ask me ;)

Bravo2zero_sps 09 July 2002 04:49 PM

Yeah you are right on those points but contracting makes it more difficult to get a mortgage! Not saying you can't get one but its easier if you are in permanent employment.

dogmaul 09 July 2002 04:51 PM

im only 22 so im not exactly stuck in what i do for the rest of my life but i think 11 years in IT is long enough

Kevin Mc 09 July 2002 05:27 PM

I used to live up there and know Elmwood Street - didn't know it was such a bad area now! (I left in 1980).

boomer 09 July 2002 07:20 PM

dogmaul

"my parents semi in village just outside york was purchased for 35k in 1987 with 3 bedrooms now valued at 150k with 4 beds.
How the hell am i supposed to buy anything on 15k a year !!!!!"

How handy are you at DIY?? There is a plot of land going for £18K in Acomb, York - see http://www.home-sale.co.uk/asp/Prope...9729&Colours=1

With houses going up by 20% a year, some of these cheap houses (try http://www.home-sale.co.uk/ and search in your area) have got to be a good investment. Like someone said, rent out as DSS accomodation, or simply convert into a period brick garage!!!

mb

dogmaul 10 July 2002 08:45 AM

i could do with a garage for building the kit car :) i ccould allways sleep in a tent :D

boomer 07 September 2002 12:05 AM

http://www.home-sale.co.uk/asp/Prope...7989&Colours=1

Two bedrooms, kitchen, bathroom, enclosed rear yard, easy access from the motorway, and only GBP3,850!! :eek:

You could buy an entire street (or two) for the price of a small London flat!!

mb

[Edited by boomer - 7/9/2002 12:06:00 AM]

dogmaul 07 September 2002 01:54 PM

my parents semi in village just outside york was purchased for 35k in 1987 with 3 bedrooms now valued at 150k with 4 beds.

How the hell am i supposed to buy anything on 15k a year !!!!!

[Edited by dogmaul - 7/9/2002 1:55:57 PM]

MarkO 07 September 2002 04:42 PM

oh it would be nice but i cant have the uncertainty of contracting.
LOL. Contracting - unstable? Hahahahahah! :D

Who told you that - probably your current boss or a recruitment agent.

I know far more people who've lost their permanent jobs than I do contractors. I've been contracting for 7 years - first contract lasted 20 months, and I left to go and get better money. I could have stayed for the rest of my life probably. My 2nd contract has lasted 4 years 4 months - so far. Got another 8 months to run, too.

There is no such thing as a guaranteed stable job - permy or contract. Both are just as unstable as each other. But the difference is that if you're contracting, on average you get paid twice what the permie staff do. Sometimes it's 3x the equivalent permie rate. Okay, so you've got some expenses they haven't, but increasing your net income by 50-100% makes for some bloody good stability, believe me. :D

[Edited by MarkO - 7/9/2002 4:44:24 PM]

MarkO 07 September 2002 04:55 PM

contracting makes it more difficult to get a mortgage!
Again, that's a total myth.

4-5 years ago it might've been true - only a few banks knew about contracting (Bank of Scotland, Abbey National, Standard Life). The high street banks didn't have a clue and wouldn't accept dividends (i.e., non-salary income) as the basis to lend on.

However, these days they all know about it and realise the earnings involved so are desperate to sign you up. For example, on the Virgin One website's quote page, if you specify that you're a contractor they even have a section where you can enter your hourly rate and it'll calculate your earnings/quote based on that.

The other thing is that if your mortgage is going to be less than 85% of the property value, most lenders do a 'special status' application, where you self-certify your earnings. This does away with the need for historical company accounts, etc. And of course getting a 15% deposit is far easier on a high contracting rate.

Rather than believing all you hear (usually by disgruntled people who know how much they could earn but are too scared to consider having to do some accountancy and paperwork themselves) why not look into it. Send your CV to a few agents looking for contract work, and consider what the rates equate to when they come back to you.

It's worth investigating, believe me! :D

[Edited by MarkO - 7/9/2002 4:56:47 PM]