ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Drivetrain (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/)
-   -   PFR6B or PFR7B (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/111459-pfr6b-or-pfr7b.html)

Pieman2 08 July 2002 10:38 PM

Similar position - I'd like to know too (MY00 PPP, ITG and imminent decat).
Couldn't get a sensible answer to this question from my nearest dealer.

Pieman 09 July 2002 01:45 PM

PPP does run higher boost, about 1.2bar. So enough for a PFR7B, or should I stick to PFR6B?

ustolemyname??stevieturbo 09 July 2002 02:31 PM

PFR7B should be fine. PFR6B are for std cars, running std boost, so if running higher boost, then 7's would do no harm at all. There will be virtually no noticeable difference in the normal running of the plug.

mrp 09 July 2002 07:27 PM

Thanks guys. As mine falls into the very lightly tinkered category I'm getting a set of 6B's from my local motor factor for £37.00 (much better than the £54.00 Halfords was looking).

Martin

submannz 10 July 2002 11:01 PM

When you pull the plugs, if they look sooty take the 6's back and replace them for 7's

DaveD 10 July 2002 11:09 PM

Pants,

just replaced a set of sooty 6's for more of the same! I thought that the soot would just be due to overfuelling....how will running cooler plugs make any difference?

ustolemyname??stevieturbo 11 July 2002 12:33 AM

If the 6's look sooty, why would you put colder plugs in???? There would be less self cleaning effeect due to the cooler running plug, and more chance of fouling. If they look sooty for some reason, stick with the 6's. Are you sure they are sooty, or just very very old??

submannz 12 July 2002 09:58 PM

When they get hotter than there range they will also get carbon deposits, if they get too hot they they will have a whiteish appearance.

Carbon deposits are also due to a rich mixture and or a weak ignition.

What colour was the centre electrode ceramic surround?

mrp 07 August 2002 07:25 PM

Can anyone advise the which of the above is best for a lightly modified MY96 (3" system and K&N panel filter).

Suspect that 6B's will do for lightly modded and 7B's if you are using a lot more boost. Some confirmation would be nice though.

thanks

Martin

[Edited by mrp - 7/8/2002 10:50:25 PM]

submannz 07 September 2002 01:27 AM

A spark plug must reach what is called its "self-cleaning temperature" (or region) which generally occurs at about 500 degrees C depending on the A/F ratio. This is normally reached during high engine or vehicle speeds. This "self-cleaning temperature" allows the plug to burn off carbon deposits accumulated at lower speed and idle conditions. If this temperature is not consistently reached, you will have definite fouling problems.

So in other words check your current plugs and see if they are not nice and brown tan colour, then you most likely need to look at a colder plug.

For a lightly modified car I wouldn't look at changing this until you start running more mods like turbo and or more boost.

[Edited by submannz - 7/9/2002 1:30:21 AM]

mrp 07 December 2002 03:06 PM

Well just replaced mine with 6B's. The old ones looked fine with just light brown so I'm very happy as well as saving a few quid - I'm sure the dealer would charge a small fortune. Took about 2hrs and now that I know exactly what has to be removed (washer bottle and airbox) should only take around an hour the next time.

[Edited by mrp - 7/12/2002 3:07:23 PM]