ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Don't clean out boost solenoid with brake cleaner (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/111312-dont-clean-out-boost-solenoid-with-brake-cleaner.html)

Chod 08 July 2002 11:56 AM

I've just been told by a Subaru mechanic that you should not clean a boost solenoid with brake cleaner as it can perish the diaphram. My car is an MY97, and I don't know if he was talking specifically about that model of solenoid, but be very careful. He said that letting it cycle in check mode was enough to clean it.

Terry

Mike Tuckwood 08 July 2002 12:36 PM

Ignore him then because his information is erroneous. :)

Mike.

HELLOM8 08 July 2002 12:56 PM

Prodrive recommend this and most people on here use it.
This Subaru dealer, wouldn't happen to be Spring Park would it?.

Chod 08 July 2002 01:12 PM

No it wasn't

He said that it was something that they were told on a Subaru training course.

Terry

john banks 08 July 2002 06:46 PM

So is everything a mechanic says ;) Helps them to talk bollox with some "credibility". Shame the information is often conflicting :rolleyes:

SCOSaltire 08 July 2002 07:00 PM

what is that thing that is cleaned?

and why clean it?
:)

scoobyboy 08 July 2002 07:49 PM

we were told dont use brake cleaner but something like meths i think it was as it had some thing to do with the evaporation process or something like that . b*ll*cks i cant really remember but there is no diaphragm in there it's a plunger that moves up and down with a rubber end on it to shut off or open the vents and when it gets oil on it it sticks hence it senses overboost.

Bob Rawle 08 July 2002 11:15 PM

Definately no diaphram in the solenoid, he has got confused with the actuator ... which doesn't need cleaning.

Cycle the solenoid in test mode (if using jecs) and just blast brake cleaner thro' each port to wash out all the oil, I also then blow thro' afterwards whilst cycling to help the cleaner evaporate quickly. Meths works, so does Freon ( inert type cleaning solvent) although thats probably not available now. Important thing is to get a good flow thro' the solenoid to wash out the oil film. Never had a solenoid problem due to cleaning like this.

Chod 09 July 2002 09:16 AM

And that's why this forum and it's members are so valuable; different opinions.

Cheers guys

Terry

Brun 09 July 2002 09:22 AM

Is the boost solenoid something you would clean as a matter of course, or just when you think there is a problem relating to it. If it's something you would do regardless of problems, how often?

Chod 09 July 2002 09:47 AM

Correct me if i'm wrong, but it is only done if you notice a drop in boost pressure. ie boost gauge or a noticable drop in power.

Terry

Bob Rawle 09 July 2002 08:04 PM

Yup, not normally needed unless the car starts to overboost. (or not make boost)

davidmartin861 23 April 2003 02:45 AM

I want to clean my boost solenoid, Where is the boost solenoid ?
Anyone can send me steps ?