ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Midnight driving, not too safe! (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/1112-midnight-driving-not-too-safe.html)

IDRIS 26 January 2000 08:52 PM

Hi Ya!

Did any body hear about the old guy from solihull, who went the wrong way up the M40.
Yes?
Well I passed him. I'll tell you this much I thought my number was up big time!

Got next days paper. Said he was killed and a woman in a BMW was injured.

I have had incidents happen to me too many times on the motorway at night and I'm starting to think my luck is running out.

Don't be blase about night driving on motorways, I've seen too many freaky things happen.

Drive Safely!!!
*IDRIS*

JamesH 26 January 2000 09:24 PM

Wow! Close http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/frown.gif

& they reckon the bod did over 20 miles !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AlexM 26 January 2000 09:31 PM

Yep - almost exactly the same thing happened to my wife around the Oxford ring road near the John Radcliff hospital. She was coming around a bend, and saw that she was bearing down on a Granny in a Morris Minor, who was driving the wrong way in the fast lane.
Luckily they managed to avoid each other, and the Granny continued in the wrong direction for another two or three miles.

Scarey isn't it?

Cheers,

Alex

Ian Cook 26 January 2000 09:52 PM

IDRIS, very lucky escape, Especially as the Police shadowed him with Lights and Sirens going, from the outside lane on the other carriageway for miles and he didnt even notice them apparently.

johnfelstead 26 January 2000 10:33 PM

wait till you drive in pensylvania USA at night.

I drove a camero down a cracking undulating road at night only to see a horse drawn buggy with candles as headlights appear right in front of me.

Amish farmer on way home, i crapped it.

Sanity 27 January 2000 12:07 AM

I met some guy coming around the wrong side of a roundabout in Hounslow two or three months back. It scared the hell out of me I can tell you. I swerved to avoid him and narrowly missed a collision. This was at about 2 AM.
What killed me about the whole episode was that he held his hands up and gestured at me as if it was my fault. There really are some crazy people out there.

hutton_d 27 January 2000 09:20 AM

Came to the roundabout by the Thames Valley Business Park a couple of years ago (the one at the end of the A329(M)) ans topped to wait for the motorbike coming around it. Thought 'There's someone odd here' (it was about 9pm and no other traffic about). Thought about it some more and then twigged - the bike was going anti-clockwise...!!
(Think about it). He was having fun anyway.

Dave

KRS 27 January 2000 09:24 AM

Dave,

I know another story about that stretch of road (A329M) concerning two guy's from Microsoft (UK HQ on that campus), who traded their TVR's for 355's and promptly wrapped them around a lamp post in their lunch hour.

Written off

Chuffed!

PaulL 27 January 2000 09:41 AM

In my Uni days I used to earn extra cash working as a Navigator for locum doctors around Birmingham - occasionally working the 12hr 7pm-7am shift. The Doctors get paid by the house-visit so any shortcuts are a bonus.

So, I think you can guess what many of them do between 4am and 5am when wishing to turn right at a roundabout... Very scarey being a passenger.

Paul L

[This message has been edited by PaulL (edited 27-01-2000).]

Orville 27 January 2000 11:18 AM

Why bother driving when you get a free bus pass at 60/65. The 2 most annoying road going dangers are - 1). Half blind, half death, half dead old people doing 20mph and driving in the middle of the road. 2). Boy racers who plant rubber at every set of lights and drive right up your Rse.

Increase the minimun aga you can obtain a licience (to 21yrs for example) and make regular licience retests compulsary for people over 60. Cars go through MOT's, why not people?

spence 28 January 2000 07:35 AM

You want to try the Dutch, they drive like idiots some times... This morning coming to work as I came down the slip road off the motorway there was an articulated lorry with roofing joists on the trailer reversing up the hard shoulder of the slip road back up on to the motor way...!

Very clever...

pwebb 28 January 2000 12:01 PM

concerning MS employees and ferraris... pretty sure it was just one bloke - this was reported to me by our EPM from Microsoft a year or so ago ... said person was the proud owner of a white sti 4 type R last time I heard so probably on this list... anyone care to elaborate further?

fwiw - joining in on the thread, I once met a car coming the wrong way along the split level motorway just south of Bristol after the Gordano services - guess that 'looked' less like a m'way to the driver (the other side is well out of sight) but it still gave me a nasty shock - don't know what happened to him/her though.

cheers,

Paul W

Jonathan Witts 28 January 2000 07:55 PM

KRS

I had the great pleasure of driving past the bent 355 about 5 mins after they stuffed it no the A329M round about.

It looked like they had v.bad understear and gone straight on. And I thought my Scooby understeared on that round about !!

It was a truly special moment.

Jonathan