ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Young car high milage/older car lower milage (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/110140-young-car-high-milage-older-car-lower-milage.html)

Rusty Festa 03 July 2002 09:34 PM

My price bracket is letting my get a sport from a UK dealer (will travel national for right car)

I have narrowed the spec right down to a couple of motors but I can't decide wether a 58,000 mile Jan 2000 car is better than a 32,000 mile Jan 1998 car? (FSSH on both)

On top of this, the my98 has the original bumper styling which I like more than the annoying orangey thing under the indicators on the my00

old/low or New/high? clean or orange? Heart or head?

Jon

pslewis 03 July 2002 09:47 PM

Get the 2000 - the Orange things get painted black within 15 minutes - sorted, and you have a much better looking car IMHO.

Make sure they are both UK spec. as supplied and un-modded

Your Choice!!

Pete

Rusty Festa 03 July 2002 10:34 PM

Thanks Pete - a good point!!!

I deliberately did not say that the 2000 has 16" gold wheels Vs the standard 15" silver ones on the '98. I think I have just made my mind up :D :D

Jon

johnfelstead 03 July 2002 11:49 PM

low mileage always wins the day for me.

Moles Dad 03 July 2002 11:51 PM

MD.

Sprint Chief 04 July 2002 12:50 AM

I had a similar sort of dilemma when I bought my scoob.

I decided based on the number of miles I expected to put on the car. If you are going to pile the miles on this car, I would seriously consider going for the older low miles car. If you do not expect to use it so much (weekend car etc.) go for the higher mileage car. In that way, the average miles for the age ends up balancing out which typically means the car depreciates less.

All MHO of course :)

TonyBurns 04 July 2002 01:09 AM

Depends if you want hesitation or piston slap ;)
Those little orange things btw are for cooling the brakes, also the MY00 will be fitted with 4pots and have full colour coded body.
If the car has been looked after (in both cases) then either one will be an excellent buy, depends what you fancy really :D

Tony:D

Brun 04 July 2002 08:56 AM

Depending how many miles/how long ya gonna own it, you should consider the value when it comes to sell. The 2000 is 26k closer to 100k than the 98. Miles win for me.

tony1979 04 July 2002 09:02 AM

I'd have to agree. Low mileage is the key. It just depends on how "up-to-date" you want to be. You can always spend a little bit more and get the colour-coding done later. It's up to your own personal preference at the end of the day. :)

gareth60 04 July 2002 09:13 AM

Low miles for me to. We bought a L reg Toyota Corolla for the wife with 1 owner, 20k on the clock. She can now drive this as much as she likes without worring about putting loadsa miles on the clock.

I'm just about to get the bumpers sprayed and a set of nice alloys / wheel trims and it will look idential to a P reg.

Again, my option of course...

Gareth.

Riftzone 04 July 2002 10:29 AM

With modern engines, mileage isnt a problem as long as its been looked after (just bought a MY99 turbo with 55k on). I say get the 2000 model...

Dream Weaver 04 July 2002 10:47 AM

I disagree with Mr Felstead slightly. I used to believe mileage was everything, but these days it depends on condition, how the miles have been driven, and by who.

I drive a M94 MR2 with 99k miles on it. My dad drives an identical MY96 MR2, same colour, same spec with 44k miles. Mine has FTSH, and his did have until he bought it. It hasn't been serviced for 2 years now (10k miles), he fills it with cheap oil, uses spurious parts and crap tyres. I, on the other hand use fully synth oil, service every 9k miles/12 months, buy the best tyres, use OEM parts, and fix bits that dont really need doing, such as regular cambelt changes.

I also drive mine more freely - i.e. my dads has never been above 4k rpm, and they redline at 7200rpm. I believe this is not good for a high revving engine.

I think that my high miler engine will be in better nick than his.

All IMHO of course :)

DW

russell hayward 04 July 2002 10:48 AM

Drive both cars and then decide

Just because it's low mileage, doesn't mean it's not a dog and vice versa !!