ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Other Marques (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/)
-   -   Q cars? (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/109906-q-cars.html)

Roger The Cat 03 July 2002 09:46 AM

Hmmmmm,

Given the recent board sentiment that 'Scoobynet isn't what it used to be' and 'I remember the days when all before me was pure technical/drivetrain/Wheels, Tyres & Brakes type posts...' Where are people going to go?

Meaning whats the next big Q car out there for those who are seeking cheap exclusivity?

Genuine question, no really...

Neil Smalley 03 July 2002 10:13 AM

My tips.

Skoda Octavia RS
EVO 7 Automatic(no spoilers and scoops etc)
Gold TDI 150
BMW 330d
Seat Leon Cupra R

Reffro 03 July 2002 11:40 AM

VW Passat W8 4.0litre, 155 mph....

ianc 03 July 2002 11:41 AM

My belief..

Skoda Octavia 4x4.

Same engine as RS once modified, 4wd, ESP, multilink rear suspension, no spoilers, no attention from max power muppets or police, can even get it as an estate.

pwebb 03 July 2002 12:00 PM

those in the know have already made the jump :-)

Paul W

Neil Smalley 03 July 2002 12:08 PM

One of the 'old' school Q cars was the Rover 600 ti

Dave R 03 July 2002 12:20 PM

Passat W8. Tried it. Not impressed. Still a big heavy wallowy barge which ever way you look at it. It might blast rather well in a straight line but where's the fun in that.

Octavia 4x4 has the Haldex system (like the Passat). In a word, pants. Pretend 4WD.

CrisPDuk 03 July 2002 12:24 PM

Dave, the Octavia 4x4 is basically all TT underneath, but with the boredom removed, I've seen enough of them round here to be impressed enough to contemplate parting with cash.

ianc 03 July 2002 12:30 PM

Never driven the Passat W8, out of my price range. The normal Passats are decent enough though, if hardly pulse racing.

RE haldex - yup, it *is* pretend 4wd, most of the time it's virtually FWD till it needs it (at 15degrees of wheel spin) then it sends power elsewhere. This means you have 4wd when you need it but not the major power losses a permanent 4wd setup has. Keeps the fuel costs almost sensible too.

AJbaseBloke 04 July 2002 03:20 AM

Legacy B4/GT-B - not many even know what they are, so the Q factor is huge. The look on the faces of those not in the know is priceless as a Legacy zooms past.

Mossman 04 July 2002 09:02 AM

Debadged old shape M5, debadged (any) Alpina :)

igratton 04 July 2002 09:07 AM

PD150 Golf - I'll know how good a Q car it is as mine arrives at 7:00pm tomorrow :D

I'll try and give a report as to how it compares to the P1 - and try to remain objective :D

Octavia RS may have been a better 'drivers' option - but the PD150 mpg is just stupid - and that torque :D. Still we have a real car in the XTR²

Ian.

ianc 04 July 2002 09:13 AM

Was looking at your XTR diary yesterday, that thing's a real weapon but seems you still hit the old kit car problems of things not fitting first time.

If you don't mind me asking, how much did it cost? Can you buy parts as you build it, in stages? I assume it's road legal also?