ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Other Marques (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/)
-   -   VW Golf V6 4Motion - Opinions ? (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/108900-vw-golf-v6-4motion-opinions.html)

scoob_dood 29 June 2002 08:55 PM

Would be interested to hear people's opinions on the VW Golf V6 4Motion - try and keep them objective, but otherwise anything goes ;-)

Cheers,

Jon

stu_allen 30 June 2002 12:56 AM

Lardy. Dead to drive. Hated it. Next.... ;)

igratton 30 June 2002 12:58 AM

Um....thought about one of thse to replace the scoob.

I'm not entirely sure how the 4WD drivetrain works. I imagine its rather FWD bias in the same way it has been on many other hatches.

I plumped for a PD150 instead - if the 4motion behaves like a front driver - what is the pointing in carrying the extra baggage of the 4WD system and also loosing morer power than a FWD through its drivetrain.

I guess go testdrive one - it could be totally different.

Now the Golf R32 looks a real stunner 4WD and a nice pokey 3.2 engine - kewl :)

Ian.
Ian.

scoob_dood 30 June 2002 01:46 AM

I test drove that V6 and the 1.8T GTi and decided to go for the V6, but I was intrigued to hear other's views.

- Jon

shunty 30 June 2002 09:28 AM

err, just read a write up in a car mag for the new R32 golf 4wd, 0-60:6.5 & 155mph :eek::eek:
all this from 240bhp & v good build quality/trim for £24k.
sound like a nice package.

shunty

TurboBoost 30 June 2002 11:34 AM

Think the consensus is the Audi S3 is a bit quicker and a sportier drive, but the V6 has a wonderful engine and sounds better. Its a quality car but I think the fake wood trim inside is bloody awful.
The forthcoming Leon Cupra R would be my choice from the VAG stable. 210bhp with handling, steering and braking to match apparantly.

scoob_dood 30 June 2002 05:17 PM

My first step when I get the car is to remove the wood trim, and replace with some of the trim from the GTi, and some from the forthcoming Anniversary edition GTi (brushed aluminium).

I didn't buy the V6 becuase it was the fastest, best handling car I could find, but it did suit my requirements and will do nicely :-)

Having previously owned a Golf (TDi), I was happy to go back to VW, I don't think anyone in their right mind would compare the 4Motion to a Scoob, the cars share very little in common!

Thanks for the input though, always nice to hear other people's opinions!

- Jon

Edited to add, any VW people that want to talk about Golfs etc, try http://www.uk-mkivs.net/forum/default.asp

[Edited by scoob_dood - 6/30/2002 5:22:52 PM]

CrisPDuk 30 June 2002 10:09 PM

Imagine a TT that you can see out of, get passengers in & carry more than a toothbrush:D

P1Fanatic 30 June 2002 10:11 PM

Dont forget the hair dryer Chris :p

Flat 4x4 30 June 2002 10:57 PM

I wouldn't buy a new one, but used (say a 00W) they are several k cheaper (£4k in some cases) than an S3 with similar performance etc etc

scoob_dood 01 July 2002 05:51 PM

Yeah mine's 18 months old on a Y plate and was a lot cheaper than brand new.

- Jon

bluto22b 02 July 2002 08:58 PM

Totally outclassed in the company of Subaru;) My mate test drove one (4 motion) and thought it was downright dangerous at speed on b roads. He plumped for the S3 and is regretting that choice. Reckons he's getting an STI next year if they replace the bugeyes....Blutes

Huxley Chick 02 July 2002 10:35 PM

I have Golf SE TDi 110 at the moment as a pool car from work and I would say it's a lot better than the V5 I had a couple of weeks ago !!!

And Huxley Likes it as well :eek:

And 500+ to a tank full of diesel :eek::eek::eek: you don't get that from our Scoob [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Huxley Chick

AudiMan 03 July 2002 09:41 AM

Not that exciting to drive, not much feedback at limit, small boot, build quality good but not as good as S3, nice blue dash lights though. Expensive new, I'd spend the money on something else Leon Cupra R or nearly new S3.

NBW 03 July 2002 06:01 PM

Apparently AMD can supercharge it to give >300lb ft of torque, for just £5K :eek: