ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   SMTP Filter with Ex2K/ISA (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/108333-smtp-filter-with-ex2k-isa.html)

Trotty 27 June 2002 02:21 PM

Ok, I'm trying to setup the SMTP filter which ships with ISA Server. All info on the web specifies that ISA is installed on a different server than Exchange. You then install a Virtual SMTP server on the ISA box and relay all mail back to the Exchange box. The filtering is applied whilst relaying. Trouble is, we can't do that. ISA and Exchange are on the same server (SBS2000 install). After reading up on the procedure it needs the Message Screener program installed (done it), a virtual SMTP server setup (done it - exchange) and then setup the relevant filtering options for ISA.

Tried pretty much everything I can think of but to no avail? Anyone else had to deal with this situation? Had a good look around on the web and have posted on ISAServer.org but no joy :(

Anyone?

Ian

HHxx 27 June 2002 03:42 PM

Can't you set up the virtual smtp server, using the iis mmc, to talk to exchange smtp which is set up on the same ip but on a different port?

Just a quick thought.

H

Trotty 27 June 2002 04:59 PM

Well that crossed my mind but as the virtual SMTP server is taking care of the mail through port 25 right now...

Ah, actually...

Could I setup the SMTP server in IIS and get mail on port 25, then 'relay' it internally to the newly specified port in Exchange?

Hmmn...

ChristianR 27 June 2002 05:36 PM

I have 3 box setup:)

isa -> isa msgscreener/sophos virus check -> exchange

look @ www.isaserver.org , and click on learning zone.

I am sure that will be very helpful for you :D

Trotty 27 June 2002 06:47 PM

Yeah, thats what I'd like but haven't got the resources :( That setup is well documented (as you'll know) and probably the ideal configuration (we use Sophos too). Sadly I'm stuck with what I've got for now though. Still not having any luck...

Your help and suggestions are appreciated peeps

Ian

ChristianR 27 June 2002 06:51 PM

ian - so you just have one box, with isa and exchange2k installed?

[Edited by ChristianR - 6/27/2002 6:51:44 PM]

HHxx 27 June 2002 07:43 PM

Mmmmm. I've never touched ISA server in my life, but this sounds do-able.

This might help you.

H

Trotty 28 June 2002 10:30 AM

@ ChristianR - Yup, fairly standard SBS 2000 install - Exchange 2000 SP2 and ISA SP1 with 2 NIC's. As mentioned the ideal config is to have the ISA in front, let it apply any filtering and then relay the remaining traffic to the exchange server. Can't do that though - not enough servers...

HHxx - just looking into that now, thanks.

Ian

~ Edited due to truely crappy typing ~

[Edited by Trotty - 6/28/2002 10:32:39 AM]