ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   ITG Panel Filters Dangerous? (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/108000-itg-panel-filters-dangerous.html)

burga1 26 June 2002 02:34 PM

I recently took my turbo for its service and was told by the technician that fitting an ITG panel filter can damage the airflow meter if some of the oil flys off. Has anyone had problems with their ITG or are subaru being cautious?

Scott.T 26 June 2002 02:40 PM

ITG are probably one of the better brands. I don't think too many peole have had problems with them.

some of the other brands are more susceptible to causing this failure.

dowser 26 June 2002 02:59 PM

ITC don't use oil, it's green snot :)

Richard

Gridlock Mikey 26 June 2002 03:07 PM

Dude, you will find that it is one of the preffered filters. Yes a few have had a problem with them, but that tends to be down to being fitted incorrectly (Not as easy as it looks).

Like any modification, there will be a small faliure rate, but mine has been in for 16 months now and it doesn't seem to have done my baby any harm.

Mikey :cool:

ChrisB 26 June 2002 04:22 PM

Isn't the ITG filter part of the PPP?

Gridlock Mikey 26 June 2002 07:39 PM

They gotta use summat to justify the cost :D:D:D:D

Mikey :cool:

ChrisB 26 June 2002 07:46 PM

LOL Mikey :D

Phil 27 June 2002 01:02 AM

ITG doesn't form part of the MY01 PPP

But mines been in 12 months now [dealer turned his nose up at it,only cause he couldn't sell me a new oem filter at service]
and no problems at all

Phil

Pete Croney 27 June 2002 09:24 AM

It is indeed one of the safest filters to use, for a number of reasons...

1) It filters out particles down to 10 micron (some cones only manage 200 micron)
2) The sticky polymer has to be heated to 100degC to flow and will not get drawn off the filter by air flow
3) This polymer has to be impregnated using a special machine and an ITG is replaced at the end of its life, not re-coated.
3) In the MIRA test shown on my website, you can see it maintained the best airflow when loaded up with a dust equivalent of 30,000 miles use. Many in the test were totally blocked before getting this "old"
4) Should any excess polymer leak out, its properties mean it will creep down into the bottom of the air box where it cannot cause any harm

There have been many MAF failures on cars using the standard paper filter and this makes it difficult to say if a replacement filter is the cause, or if the MAF would have failed anyway.

In 3.5 years of this filter being available, I know of 6 MAF failures on cars using an ITG.

To put things into perspective, there are over 5,000 ITGs in use today, in Imprezas, in the UK. This is more than any other filter used by Impreza owners, with the exception of the original paper filter.

The reliability of the ITG panel is one reason why it remains the only filter that Scoobysport will fit.

Jolly Green Monster 2 27 June 2002 01:12 PM

So what is the expected life of an ITG?

About to order mine from the group buy... just wondered how long until I need to get another one?

:)

MRK 27 June 2002 01:33 PM

Good point Jolly. Mines been in the car for 33,000 miles now.

So is it time to change??

Plus I noticed when inspected my filter, oooohhhh about a year ago that alot of the polymer had in fact dribbled down into the air box. So I guess by Petes own admission thats ok?? I just wiped it up!!

M :cool:

Pete Croney 27 June 2002 03:14 PM

They are normally pretty clogged after 30,000 but will still flow more than many filters will be with 15,000 of use. We change them at 30,000.

If any polymer does leak down, just give it a wipe.

dowser 27 June 2002 03:59 PM

If your resonator is removed, clean all the bugs (sticks, rabbits, etc.) off overy 5k miles, lol :D

You can use a bit of kitchen tissue to sort of scrape/stick them off....

Richard

SoreHead 27 June 2002 04:18 PM

I'm in London this weekend at a place called
Sevenoaks,
Kent,
TN13 1LZ

Anyone know of somewhere I can get a filter or a DP near there to save me having to pay for shipping at a later date??

RRH 27 June 2002 04:38 PM

i bought my ITG (for MY01) from pete at scoobysport about 10,000 (fast) miles ago- no problems whatsoever.

Last service the mechanic who did the test drive commented it was 'a little noisy on the induction side'.

Suprised he could hear it over the full scoobysport system:D

Hugh138 27 June 2002 10:44 PM

Getting one from the group buy as well - fitting it gonna be dead easy or should I be sorta careful. If it's a bad idea to fit it mlself, who should I trust (given that I can't get to a 'proper' scooby expert anytime soon)?

Hugh

RRH 27 June 2002 10:50 PM

no problem fitting it- but don't rush it. make sure its correctly seated.

simon:D

Hugh138 27 June 2002 10:54 PM

Okay, thanks. I'll see how brave I feel when it arrives :)

And how bad is my english/typing like in my previous post?!?

RRH 27 June 2002 10:57 PM

yep:D

no need to feel brave- dead easy!

simon:D

boultsy 28 June 2002 09:05 AM

can someone point me to the group buy.

Ta:)

Jolly Green Monster 2 28 June 2002 09:07 AM

Click Here

JGM :)

MRK 28 June 2002 05:33 PM

Thanks Pete.

I shall have to give you a call, for a new one, plus I need some super brake fluid too.

M :cool:

snowcrash 28 June 2002 05:38 PM

has anyone got some decent installation instructions for this to go on a MY99 uk turbo? or point me to a thread with the info in??

cheers!

simon.

stephen30 28 June 2002 05:50 PM

Very easy really. Pete Croney put some major instructions on when I fitted mine about a month ago. Basically, you must make sure you get the box closed properly again. Take all of the pipes and hoses off the airbox before you start. Once this is done, remove the lid byundoing the clips at the top and unhooking it from the lugs at the bottom. Line up the ITG and then refit the lid lugs first. Re attach pipes. I did mine in 20 mins and I had no clue where the airbox was when I started.
You MUST make sure the lid is on the box properly so no unfiltered air gets into the engine. It's a bit tricky but even I managed it.

Steve :cool:

scooby_si 28 June 2002 06:08 PM

So just a quick check then i no from having watched at my last service that they remove then blow the dirt & smegma off the standard paper filter from the opposite side to clean it can they still do this 2 clean the oilly ITG un?
Cheers
Si

Hugh138 28 June 2002 06:26 PM

So what makes you sure the box is on properly? :)

I've just fitted mine, the lid is closed (with a fair bit of effort, patience and jiggling!) Is there a way to be sure it's right? AFAIK it looks exactly the same as it did with the old filter. However, the right hand side is ever so slightly higher than the left, but it still seems a pretty good seal. I suppose as long as the filter isn't squashed up there is no real way to fit it incorrectly.

Haggistrap 29 June 2002 06:10 PM

So just what will the IGT filter do that the standard one will not? I have a standard 98Wagon.

Are you all removing the resinator as well?

Hugh138 29 June 2002 10:07 PM

http://www.scoobysport.co.uk/tuning_gen.htm

Scroll down to the air filter section.

Cleaner air and better airflow in essence.

Hugh

Attu 30 June 2002 12:14 AM

Ive got a my98 with PPP, these cars were fitted with Ram Air filters as standard but Ive just replaced it for a ITG.
I wasnt expecting to find any change at all going from a Ram Air to the ITG but it realy does seem to pull harder and rev better with the ITG?
Its hard to explain realy but ive noticed the difference on my car but then again the original filter could have been on its way out.

Andy

pwebb 01 July 2002 01:59 PM

one voice here that says DON'T go near oil coated filters - speaking from experience, including ITG that I am sure caused an AFM failure (the oil that contaminated the unit also present liberally in the top of the airbox). Speaking to chemists at my employer, they reckon that it isn't possible to produce a foam with consistent 'pore' size and thus it is likely that oil will be drawn through these filters as some holes will inevitably be larger. Note that the STI filter has a metal base plate with machined holes in it - also, the more expensive/trusted jap filters are metal too - this way it is possible to ensure nothing but air comes through.

However, as Pete Says earlier, even oem paper filters have let through enough dirt to cause the hot film sensors to fail - hence part of the reason FHI are using denso componentry on the newer cars. In the B4 fraternity wisdom is to avoid all foam/oil coated filters and stick to cotton or metal filters (or indeed keep the oem paper one).

I am not doubting anyone here - just recounting my own experiences - NB an AFM replacement will cost about 350 quid!

Paul W