ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Other Marques (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/)
-   -   Driving in the land of Frogs!?!? (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/107036-driving-in-the-land-of-frogs.html)

Brun 21 June 2002 07:59 AM

My Birds dad has got an Audi A4 (new) complete with the HID headlights. He wants to know the score with adjusting them for driving in France. In his hand book it says you must consult the dealer for adjustment. Me thinks that there must be someone out there who regularly drives in Europe who doesn't go back to the dealer evertime he needs this adjustment! Can anyone help?

igratton 21 June 2002 09:12 PM

I think you have to place stickers on the lights to force the main part of the bean from shining on the wrong side of the road.

I have to sort this myself in a few weeks as I'm off the the south of france.

Ian.

BOB.T 21 June 2002 11:57 PM

I'd imagine the lights will get chuffin hot anyway but with reflector things on they may overheat. Also, the stickers may damage the lenses, possibly, maybe?

I'd go to the dealer, it's gotta be worth an ask, those lights won't be cheap:eek:

Bob

(ps, who gives a crap about the french anyway);):D)

Brun 22 June 2002 06:27 PM

I've heard of some cars which have a little switch on the rear of the light to adjust them. I never got to look under his bonnet cos he's quite funny when it comes to his motor.
I agree with you Bob about the Frogs.

Flat 4x4 23 June 2002 09:52 AM

You have to go to your Audi dealer who switch them over.

On the non-Xenon projector lights you CAN do them yourselves but having watched the dealer struggle to do mine with what looked like denistry tools, I wouldn't bother.

Ask them nicely and it will be F.O.C

Brun 23 June 2002 01:52 PM

Cheers all!
So with his lights adjusted, he's still got to get all the way to Dover. This car back to the dealer thing does seem a very crap idea on Audi's behalf.

Claudius 23 June 2002 02:19 PM

Drive to Dover daytime ;)

Puff The Magic Wagon! 26 June 2002 05:56 PM

Not excellent advice, but at this time of year wonder if he's gonna be driving at night? If not, then I wouldn't bother. I think its only a requirement if doing so.

GB stickers are aparently mandatory or them euro plates with GB on them. Prob a good idea to have that as then less likely to get a tug in the first place.

Needless to say, I didn't do either on my recent trip ( :rolleyes: ) wasn't worried re- the sticker & I never drove after nightfall - couldn't, I was too pi$$ed ;)

Brun 26 June 2002 06:26 PM

He's just done the plate thing. I would have suggested the not driving at night thing, but he's one of these "do everything by the book" people. The chances are that he won't see the moon while behind the wheel, but like i say "by the book". I say sod it and blind them!

DJFish 26 June 2002 10:58 PM

Just stick a bit of sticky tape to the near side of the light while you're waiting at Dover and angle the beams all the way down from the adjuster in the car, it's a darn sight more than the cloggies and froggies ;) do over here and it'll look like you've got a proper kit on the headlights and save you a fortune.

Dave