ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Suspension (https://www.scoobynet.com/suspension-12/)
-   -   Front strut camber bolt woes (https://www.scoobynet.com/suspension-12/1068049-front-strut-camber-bolt-woes.html)

nicam49 28 November 2023 11:16 PM

Front strut camber bolt woes

It won't budge! I've got the lower nut n bolt out no hassle (well, not much), also the nut off the camber bolt, but I can rotate the bolt - very stiffly, but it doesn't want to come out.
Yes, have tried hitting it, protecting the end with a piece of wood,.. I'm wondering, does the head of the bolt have to be aligned in a certain orientation in order for it to be removed?

stockcar 29 November 2023 08:37 AM

no, seems its simply corroded in place, penetrating oil and keep rotating, etc and it will work free

JdmSti2006 03 December 2023 03:03 AM

lift suspension using car lift to free bolt
put bottom bolt and remove top one first

nicam49 04 December 2023 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by JdmSti2006 (Post 12135544)
lift suspension using car lift to free bolt
put bottom bolt and remove top one first

Hi, thanks for the advice 👍...... it's on axle stands at the mo, do you mean jack the hub/wishbone up a little..... the strut and hub have moved out of alignment so sadly I can't get the lower bolt back in now and it doesn't seem to want to move back into alignment. Would it help if I slackened off the strut top bolts to give the strut a bit more 'wobble'...?

JdmSti2006 04 December 2023 08:16 PM

Yes jack a hub/ wishbone ,at rear I jacked it under disc. You should be able to push hub back to suspension mount .
You do not need to unbolt top hat,camber bolts are pain to remove sometimes ,You need to take off them first than normal bolt.

1509joe 04 December 2023 11:02 PM

Honestly boys the top bolt is the camber bolt that's probably why you can't get the bottom bolt back in. Slack the top bolt and turn till you get the bottom bolt back in moving the strut while turning. Then you should be able to nip up the bottom bolt in a position that you can get the top bolt out. If you had an air gun or battery gun a wee spin loosens everything up :thumb:

nicam49 04 December 2023 11:07 PM

Thanks Guys! Think I understand what to do now 👍

1509joe 04 December 2023 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by nicam49 (Post 12135598)
Thanks Guys! Think I understand what to do now 👍

PM If you need any info.

JdmSti2006 05 December 2023 06:38 AM

first post says it's camber bolt ,Yes we know that
I have no camber bolts on the front on my gd sti ,not sure was there from a factory.

stockcar 05 December 2023 09:22 AM

EVERY Subaru has front top camber bolts installed from the factory..............??

TECHNOPUG 05 December 2023 09:24 AM

Buy a cordless impact gun. Refit bottom bolt. Remove top bolt first.

Seriously, buy a cordless impact gun. You'll wonder why you struggled needlessly working on cars for so long.

JdmSti2006 05 December 2023 11:35 AM

do not buy impact for spinning camber bolt

nicam49 05 December 2023 11:51 AM

I DO have a battery impact gun, bought it from Lidl a few years ago, but it didn't budge the strut nuts at all! I'm in good company there tho', as a guy on YouTube with a PROPER impact gun had to use a long extension on a breaker bar to crack them. No, my technique/trick on very tight /old fixings is to heat it up with my heat gun on hottest till the easing oil is smoking, and to use 6 sided sockets to reduce the risk of rounding the nut.

TECHNOPUG 05 December 2023 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by JdmSti2006 (Post 12135609)

Buy it for everything else as well! :lol1:

2pot 05 December 2023 12:33 PM

Why?

TECHNOPUG 05 December 2023 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by nicam49 (Post 12135610)
I DO have a battery impact gun, bought it from Lidl a few years ago, but it didn't budge the strut nuts at all! I'm in good company there tho', as a guy on YouTube with a PROPER impact gun had to use a long extension on a breaker bar to crack them. No, my technique/trick on very tight /old fixings is to heat it up with my heat gun on hottest till the easing oil is smoking, and to use 6 sided sockets to reduce the risk of rounding the nut.

Mine has a claimed 600nm of torque (although I suspect it's more like 400nm) and there is nothing on a Subaru it's failed to undo. Use 6-sided impact sockets as you say, along with matching spanners and go BBBRRRRRRRR.

Obviously you don't want to use it on sensitive parts likes like brake calipers etc, where there is a risk of snapping bolts or stripping threads. But on whacking great strut bolts, no problem. Heat works well too but you still need to turn the fixing.

Especially suited to suspension work as you can use it on wheel nuts, strut bolts, spring compressors etc.

2pot 05 December 2023 12:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by JdmSti2006 (Post 12135601)
first post says it's camber bolt ,Yes we know that
I have no camber bolts on the front on my gd sti ,not sure was there from a factory.

These:

1509joe 05 December 2023 03:45 PM

No one is insinuating getting up to take off speed, just very tedious with a ratchet.