ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Where has rumble gone ! ….any solutions (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/1067757-where-has-rumble-gone-any-solutions.html)

4evascoob 04 July 2023 05:36 PM

Where has rumble gone ! ….any solutions

So rumble had well and truly gone and I have to fix it. Current is stainless rcm un equal headers invidia d/p standard centre and bb. Car is 2016 sti. It’s loud but raspy / horrible. Is there anything that could be done. I’m thinking q300 or r400 cat back but will this just make the rasp louder ? Any suggestions welcome.

JdmSti2006 04 July 2023 07:10 PM

Rumble comes from headers,looks like SS rcm unequal issue
turbo back exhaust just change a tone of it

1509joe 04 July 2023 09:44 PM

RCM unequal headers still have individual runners instead of a single crossover pipe. As above.
Plus you'll need another resonator to take the rasp out of it.

4evascoob 05 July 2023 07:57 AM

So would a q300 or r400 help or make worse ? Think it’s more of a tuned sound with them ?

JdmSti2006 05 July 2023 09:32 AM

if rumble went with standard parts apart invidia downpipe then it's definitely due to headers, still unequal but they make them to flow better-less burble.
2.5l is known to have less burble than 2.0 and by error You made it even worse
if You will put invidia downpipe on oem headers it will give more burble
either way You go buying new parts it will cost a lot

4evascoob 05 July 2023 10:08 AM

To be honest it didn’t have much to begin with ! So do you think adding a cat back system would just make it sound louder but still bad ? Standard exhaust is of thought would struggle with the now performance of engine anyway ?

JdmSti2006 05 July 2023 10:17 AM

Yes thats what I think, is invidia downpipe de cat? if Yes it should give more burble than less, when I swapped to decat on my wrx it was louder with more burble plus something extra in a cab,noise like a Hammer hit a vice ,I loved it.
With burble You hear it more staying outside a car than inside ,my was on 3" full exhaust.
With new exhaust maybe it will be better a little but if You add silencers to drop a rasp it will quiten burble to.

4evascoob 05 July 2023 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by JdmSti2006 (Post 12132750)
Yes thats what I think, is invidia downpipe de cat? if Yes it should give more burble than less, when I swapped to decat on my wrx it was louder with more burble plus something extra in a cab,noise like a Hammer hit a vice ,I loved it.
With burble You hear it more staying outside a car than inside ,my was on 3" full exhaust.
With new exhaust maybe it will be better a little but if You add silencers to drop a rasp it will quiten burble to.

so yea the invidia is full 3” decat , prior to turbo it is rcm unequal and Harvey u/p from invidia d/p it is standard exhaust. It sounds to me like the standard exhaust is just resonating with the upped power of that makes sense. For instance the piping to the rear boxes is tiny ! I would hope fitting a q300 or r 400 would take that away. It’s the resonance I don’t like.

JdmSti2006 05 July 2023 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by 4evascoob (Post 12132751)
so yea the invidia is full 3” decat , prior to turbo it is rcm unequal and Harvey u/p from invidia d/p it is standard exhaust. It sounds to me like the standard exhaust is just resonating with the upped power of that makes sense. For instance the piping to the rear boxes is tiny ! I would hope fitting a q300 or r 400 would take that away. It’s the resonance I don’t like.

Yeah it could be restricted but no more than with oem downpipe, now mainly in centre pipe as later You got big back box or 2 smaller with 2 pipes ,but oem burble should be there. Take off back boxes and centre pipe and try without :norty:, if You hear a burble buy Invidia than.

4evascoob 05 July 2023 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by JdmSti2006 (Post 12132758)
Yeah it could be restricted but no more than with oem downpipe, now mainly in centre pipe as later You got big back box or 2 smaller with 2 pipes ,but oem burble should be there. Take off back boxes and centre pipe and try without :norty:, if You hear a burble buy Invidia than.

good idea I suppose I could just drop pipe off from centre to d/p , I’m sure it is the old exhaust not coping well with pressure as it steps down to smaller pipe. My last 2.0 sti had oe headers but ported and decat with prodrive centre and bb and it sounded awesome. Used to set car alarms off for fun ! The only way this would do it is if I drove into the other car !! Lol

1509joe 05 July 2023 03:39 PM

As in post 3 single crossover pipe is what you need for burble. Not four individual runners.

4evascoob 05 July 2023 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by 1509joe (Post 12132763)
As in post 3 single crossover pipe is what you need for burble. Not four individual runners.

which you won’t get with aftermarket ss headers ? The question is what will if anything improve it and take the resonance away if at all. I’m sure half the issue is the standard centre section and bb

1509joe 05 July 2023 06:11 PM

Nothing to do with the centre section or back box as you haven't changed it. Try another resonator in the centre section otherwise get a set of standard ported headers. Think Alyn at ASPerformance does them.

JdmSti2006 05 July 2023 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by 4evascoob (Post 12132762)
good idea I suppose I could just drop pipe off from centre to d/p , I’m sure it is the old exhaust not coping well with pressure as it steps down to smaller pipe. My last 2.0 sti had oe headers but ported and decat with prodrive centre and bb and it sounded awesome. Used to set car alarms off for fun ! The only way this would do it is if I drove into the other car !! Lol

:lol1:
mine 2.0l wrx was fitted 3" decat downpipe and invidia n1 race, never heard better noise and burbles on a scoob but i had a headache within half mile of driving
full rcm 3" decat on my jdm had no burble but sound was epic to
if You change headers You will need remap again i think -more costs

4evascoob 06 July 2023 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by JdmSti2006 (Post 12132772)
:lol1:
mine 2.0l wrx was fitted 3" decat downpipe and invidia n1 race, never heard better noise and burbles on a scoob but i had a headache within half mile of driving
full rcm 3" decat on my jdm had no burble but sound was epic to
if You change headers You will need remap again i think -more costs

yes might have to stay as it is. Don’t think I could stomach any more cost as I’ve spent north of 9k as is ! See how it goes and maybe swap out another time. Exhaust is also 1.3 k on its own. I’ll load a clip later of the culprit !!

4evascoob 06 July 2023 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by 1509joe (Post 12132767)
Nothing to do with the centre section or back box as you haven't changed it. Try another resonator in the centre section otherwise get a set of standard ported headers. Think Alyn at ASPerformance does them.

nobtrue I haven’t changed them but it’s made it worse if that makes sense. ? It wasn’t good to begin with running just decat and standard everything else.

1509joe 06 July 2023 12:47 PM

I take it this is a UK car not a twin scroll JDM.

JdmSti2006 06 July 2023 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by 1509joe (Post 12132782)

wow Sherlock ?

4evascoob 06 July 2023 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by 1509joe (Post 12132782)

yes uk car ,
as said my thoughts are the exhaust ( standard centre & bb ) can’t cope or don’t like the now 500bhp obviously copes as it was mapped but it may not be happy hence the resonating noise.