ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Using octane boost for emergency (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/1067646-using-octane-boost-for-emergency.html)

4evascoob 02 June 2023 06:29 AM

Using octane boost for emergency

Morning all
just wanted some advice being I’m very rural as to using something like Nf formula if I can’t get to Tesco / shell
according to bottle adding a whole one will increase ron by 6 points ? So is it as easy as filling up with 97 in an emergency only and adding half a bottle ( 3 Ron ) and bring it to 99/100 ? Would car be ok or would it not be as easy as that ?
was just thinking would be good to keep a bottle in boot for such instances.

stockcar 02 June 2023 08:53 AM

in general we found 1ml per litre to add 2RON...........

for occasional its probably slightly easier with the Millers Power Ecomax which adds 2RON also due to the inbuilt dispenser

otherwise get the car mapped to suit what you can actually get

4evascoob 02 June 2023 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by stockcar (Post 12131920)
in general we found 1ml per litre to add 2RON...........

for occasional its probably slightly easier with the Millers Power Ecomax which adds 2RON also due to the inbuilt dispenser

otherwise get the car mapped to suit what you can actually get

ok and car would behave ok until topped up with appropriate fuel. ?
as said it’s for emergency only as I can get 99 ok and it is mapped for it.

stockcar 02 June 2023 02:14 PM

it should be 'safe' but would certainly not be driving it aggressively

scoobaholic 03 June 2023 10:15 AM

Thanks, was wondering about that, too!

So what about bringing 95 RON up to 99? Am thinking of on Ireland road trip where I believe it's only 95 available.

hedgecutter 03 June 2023 10:45 AM

I'm interested in this, as I would really like to drive to mountains in Europe; are there any other solutions apart from ecu upgrades?

Vxr2010 03 June 2023 04:32 PM

Safer in the long run re mapping to 95 , I thought about taking one of my cars to cyprus , and if I was it was going to get mapped , from 99 to 95 will be a minimal loss of power , not worth the risk of possible engine damage , I’ve heard about switchable maps , i have it on the gtr , i don’t know if it’s possible on a subaru or for that matter a newer model subaru ? 👍

4evascoob 03 June 2023 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by scoobaholic (Post 12131939)
Thanks, was wondering about that, too!

So what about bringing 95 RON up to 99? Am thinking of on Ireland road trip where I believe it's only 95 available.

2ml per litre of Nf formula should bring it up to 99 Ron. Or play safe and put half a bottle in. That is what my builder and mapper said.

scoobaholic 05 June 2023 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by 4evascoob (Post 12131943)
2ml per litre of Nf formula should bring it up to 99 Ron. Or play safe and put half a bottle in. That is what my builder and mapper said.

Thanks!:thumb: