ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Brake Dust Shield - Rear GC8 (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/1067612-brake-dust-shield-rear-gc8.html)

KOEScoob 15 May 2023 04:30 PM

Brake Dust Shield - Rear GC8

My rear dust shield is pretty is pretty rusty, looking to change it, however is it a MOT failure if i dont have one and just remove it?

nicam49 15 May 2023 04:36 PM

Are your rear brakes disks or drums? I think with my rear drums that the wheel cylinder is bolted to the dust shield/rear plate..... 🤔. or maybe the dust shield is bolted to the backplate
​​​​​​... (not sure now... too long ago!)
​​​​​​.

​.

JdmSti2006 15 May 2023 04:41 PM

Just removed mine ,needed more space for my fuji big brake kit
removed fronts for apracing kit to and it passed mot
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.sco...6487d31fc9.jpg

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.sco...405b020c00.jpg

nicam49 15 May 2023 07:15 PM

Wow! Let us know how you get on with them.... I know with the VW Polo (1980s one) if you convert from drum to disk on the rears that you need some kind of fluid pressure equalising device installed in the hydraulics else the braking is too fierce.

1509joe 15 May 2023 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by nicam49 (Post 12131587)
Wow! Let us know how you get on with them.... I know with the VW Polo (1980s one) if you convert from drum to disk on the rears that you need some kind of fluid pressure equalising device installed in the hydraulics else the braking is too fierce.

Modern cars with ABS don't have and don't need load sensing valves. If you have ABS don't even bother looking for one cause you won't find one. As for the dust shields not needed for MOT but the backing plate has to be in serviceable condition.

nicam49 16 May 2023 04:44 PM

Good point about the abs!.... Does the Subaru with rear drum brakes have abs on them? (interesting question!... Mines a MY2000 Classic with rear drum brakes.... never given it a thought until now whether it's got abs or not... 🤔. )

1509joe 16 May 2023 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by nicam49 (Post 12131604)
Good point about the abs!.... Does the Subaru with rear drum brakes have abs on them? (interesting question!... Mines a MY2000 Classic with rear drum brakes.... never given it a thought until now whether it's got abs or not... 🤔. )

Look for an ABS pump under the bonnet but I would say it has ABS as it's a 2000 UK car. Now the second thing is if it has drum brakes you probably haven't a dust shield it must be a backing plate which would be a fail as the slave cylinder and mounts for the shoes are attached to it.

KOEScoob 16 May 2023 09:28 PM

It’s a classic wrx wagon. So it has brake discs at the back. So if it’s possible to remove them and pass an MOT I may do that?

1509joe 16 May 2023 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by KOEScoob (Post 12131608)
It’s a classic wrx wagon. So it has brake discs at the back. So if it’s possible to remove them and pass an MOT I may do that?

Sorry was answering post No 6 He seems to have thrown a spanner in the works :thumb:

jaygsi 16 May 2023 11:05 PM

I was told that with my corsa b I had when young. That if you lower the rear the car thinks it's carrying a heavy load and brakes hard.

Originally Posted by nicam49

jaygsi 16 May 2023 11:08 PM

Only the non turbos classic models had rear drum brakes, all turbo models had calipers. You can however convert these to calipers.

Originally Posted by nicam49

1509joe 16 May 2023 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by jaygsi (Post 12131611)
I was told that with my corsa b I had when young. That if you lower the rear the car thinks it's carrying a heavy load and brakes hard.

Only brakes harder at the rear.

KOEScoob 17 May 2023 09:18 AM

Okay so clearly the topic of this post has been not answered and turned into another topic. What a waste of time. question was quite simple.

stockcar 17 May 2023 09:59 AM

pretty sure @1509joe answered it for you and if your simply talking about the tin 'lip' arouns the outside of the backing plate then simple remove them and carry on

if your talking about structural issues with the actual backing plate that attaches the caliper and h/brake shoes then you need to address that fully

Don Clark 17 May 2023 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by KOEScoob (Post 12131620)
Okay so clearly the topic of this post has been not answered and turned into another topic. What a waste of time. question was quite simple.

Just to point out you first only mentioned "GC8" with no other info.

In model terms GC8 is a Classic Saloon with a 2.0L engine (N/A or Turbo) and all wheel drive so could have had rear drum brakes.
Then we find that its actually a GF8 WRX model which is a wagon with a 2.0L turbo engine and all wheel drive so rear disks.

In answer to your question...

The rear parking brake backplate has the dust shield spot welded to it as shown below (some of then indicated in red)

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.sco...031427ab70.jpg

AFAIK their removal does not constitute an MOT fail.

KOEScoob 17 May 2023 10:34 AM

@Don Clark @stockcar Thank you for addressing this. Correct i am only referring to the tin plate as you have shown in the diagram, Mine is rusty but the actual backing plate, seems fine, so i think i may just brake the welds of and leave it of if that makes sense. Not sure if anyone else has done this before and not bothered with replacing it.

1509joe 17 May 2023 11:40 AM

@KOEScoob I answered in detail in post No 5 but somehow @nicam49 got involved with his drum brakes to which I apologised to in post No6. People shouldn't hijack other peoples threads.

KOEScoob 17 May 2023 02:21 PM

@1509joe Thanks for that. I can understand others bring there own scenarios in the conversation but really just stick to the topic and i agree, may be i could have been a bit more clearer in detail. Oh well. i think this thread is done now. I have my answer.

nicam49 17 May 2023 03:28 PM

Well, in my defence, I DID attempt to answer the query in post #2 by 1stly trying to ascertain if the OP had drum or disks.....😊

1509joe 17 May 2023 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by nicam49 (Post 12131644)
Well, in my defence, I DID attempt to answer the query in post #2 by 1stly trying to ascertain if the OP had drum or disks.....😊

Alright don't be feeling guilty cause you caused a row :lol1: :thumb:

JdmSti2006 17 May 2023 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by KOEScoob (Post 12131620)

post #3 answered all with picture
if it passed mot with fronts removed it will pass mot without rear dust shields
to other brainiacs above there are no dust shields on drum brakes