ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Other Marques (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/)
-   -   New car for Mrs shrek......thoughts & opinions (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/1067299-new-car-for-mrs-shrek-thoughts-and-opinions.html)

the shreksta 14 January 2023 09:33 PM

New car for Mrs shrek......thoughts & opinions

So my wife has decided she wants something like an suv, we have narrowed it down to the following....

budget between £17k - £20k ish
must be from the manufacturer approved used scheme for warranty or have remainder of warranty.
manual or auto
petrol only
No 1.0 engines

Her 1st choice is the kia sportage so if any body can share experiences with that or any of them that would be great.

- kia sportage GDI-T
- volkswagon t-roc 1.5 evo or maybe 1.4 this
- volkswagon tiguan 1.5 or 1.4
- mazda cx-5
- ford puma st

stockcar 16 January 2023 08:34 AM

just why.............??
SUV (and mini impersonators) must be the worst thing the car industry has foisted on us since the last lot of shoite - something like a decent Fiesta or similar has to be 'better' if any modern car can be called that??

the shreksta 16 January 2023 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by stockcar (Post 12128542)
just why.............??
SUV (and mini impersonators) must be the worst thing the car industry has foisted on us since the last lot of shoite - something like a decent Fiesta or similar has to be 'better' if any modern car can be called that??

As we will use it as a holiday car etc instead of putting loads of miles on the jaaaaaaaaaaaaaaag, a little fiesta isnt really suitable for me hence why she wants a smaller suv. Big enough for holiday travel with friends but small enough for her to smash around town.

JdmSti2006 16 January 2023 09:05 AM

t-roc for me not sure about 1.5 turbo, its jerky setup on some vw cars
will rather enjoy jag keeping 20k in the pocket
what You can lose on kia could be similar to what You loose on jag due to higher mileage
what happend to jeep? it could be used for few trips a year

Smithys STI 16 January 2023 12:08 PM

My wife has had a T roc R line 1.5 DSG for the last 3 years done 30k miles in it with no problems and loves it.
It drives very well and feels quicker than a 1.5 imo.
The only thing I would say is the dash and door trims are very plasticky.

the shreksta 16 January 2023 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by Smithys STI (Post 12128562)
My wife has had a T roc R line 1.5 DSG for the last 3 years done 30k miles in it with no problems and loves it.
It drives very well and feels quicker than a 1.5 imo.
The only thing I would say is the dash and door trims are very plasticky.

what's it like size wise? Land rover evoque size?
Any DSG gearbox issues?
The DSG box has cropped up in numerous searches as a problem area for many VW models

Smithys STI 16 January 2023 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by the shreksta (Post 12128567)
what's it like size wise? Land rover evoque size?
Any DSG gearbox issues?
The DSG box has cropped up in numerous searches as a problem area for many VW models

It's not much bigger than a golf tbh just jacked up .
No problems with the gearbox on the t roc or her prevous car which was a 2017 golf R line DSG both 7 speed.
But i know what you mean they can be a problem.

TECHNOPUG 16 January 2023 03:26 PM

Don't piss about with silly little cars. V8 Cayenne is the answer.

the shreksta 16 January 2023 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by TECHNOPUG (Post 12128572)
Don't piss about with silly little cars. V8 Cayenne is the answer.

i have thought about the panamera V8 to replace the jaaaaaaaaag.

hedgecutter 16 January 2023 09:21 PM

That's the problem with little SUVs, they are little cars jacked up as a marketing exercise, as it helps buyers believe they are getting into the real suv bracket. A bit like fat low profile alloys on family estates. So you have a brick shaped car with a tiny motor on stilts.
You need to drive a wide range of them to find one with actual space inside, and likewise choose an engine which isn't gutless once it's carrying 4 people and suitcases. 10 years ago I was looking at all the Tiguans and Honda suvs and Tuscans, and found the Skoda superb was way more spacious ( still the largest capacity estate available, more leg room than a Range Rover at the time) and actually drove like it should rather than being a badly balanced rollerskating with no rear vision.

stockcar 17 January 2023 09:11 AM

exactly the reason why we have a Legacy Gen4 Estate as a dog truck and jack of all uses...........

JdmSti2006 17 January 2023 09:27 AM

imagine to have jag v8 on a driveway but telling friends we drive a kia for a trip

IdonthaveaScooby 17 January 2023 10:54 AM

Being high up makes you superior presumably

the shreksta 17 January 2023 02:39 PM

Wow.........

well for anyone who gave some positive response to this thanks for your input.

IdonthaveaScooby 18 January 2023 08:40 AM

Not dismissing the brands , just think its a bit mad to go higher if no safer or more interior space

human nature though

RobsyUK 19 January 2023 09:58 AM

have you considered the VW Touran? We have the 1.5 r line touran and it's incredible. Zero issues with the gearbox and when required has 7 seats. When the seats are not in use its a huge cargo space and excellent mpg.

salsa-king 19 January 2023 05:54 PM

My wife has gone for a 2019 Subaru XV Premium SE.

really nice car, worth looking at.

Look at everything else,. and came back wanting 4x4 if we get bad weather.

Norman Dog 19 January 2023 06:40 PM

My brother in law had one of these:

https://www.carbuyer.co.uk/renault/captur

Not exactly German build quality, but I would say on par with the Kia.