ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Windows steaming up (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/1067148-windows-steaming-up.html)

Hawkeye D 30 November 2022 06:49 PM

Windows steaming up

Hi all,

My 2007 Hawk STi seems to have a new issue.
After a run with the A/C on, the insides of the windows are fine. Park the car up. Get back into the car after 10 or 20 mins....start the car with the A/C already on, and all the windows steam up on the inside, almost instantly.

Anyone else get this, it it just the colder weather? I've never noticed it before in previous years though?
Maybe the A/C needs a re-gas?

lockheed 30 November 2022 07:30 PM

Check the coolent levels or if you've left any thing wet in the car like clothing , seem to have a de Ja vue about this .

4evascoob 30 November 2022 07:33 PM

Yes a wet coat or drink spill will do it , I’m guessing it’s probably the sudden change in outside temp as my truck and missus truck is doing the same.

ted bass 30 November 2022 07:50 PM

Mine does it this time of yr, getting in the car with wet feet if it's been raining will make the windows fog up after a while.

Don Clark 30 November 2022 08:23 PM

Do you run your A/C on outside air or in recirc mode?

Hawkeye D 30 November 2022 08:58 PM

I've only really taken it out in dry weather, foggy tonight though. Not wet clothing etc,.
I run it on outside air, not recirc....

Hawkeye D 30 November 2022 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye D (Post 12127337)
I've only really taken it out in dry weather, foggy tonight though. Not wet clothing etc,.
I run it on outside air, not recirc....

Carpets are dry, and around heater matrix is dry, no sweet smells etc.

4evascoob 30 November 2022 09:36 PM

Cold air outside would be my guess ,

Hawkeye D 01 December 2022 05:39 AM

That's what I'm hoping, just never had it in previous cold weather....

Henrik 03 December 2022 07:31 PM

This always happens to me too.

my theory is:

I’m out driving with hot air on, because I like it when it’s toasty, and breathe and add loads of moisture to the air (which it can hold fine, because warm air holds more moisture than cold). Everything is fine because my windows are above the dew point (because I’m blasting hot air).

Then I park up for a bit, and the windows go cold, and therefore they become colder than the dew point, but not a lot of water condensate on them, because there’s not a whole lot of air movement inside the car.

now I jump back into the car and the fan moves all that lovely moist air across the cold windscreen, and the warm air turns cold, and the water vapour becomes dew (which you are as mist).

Hawkeye D 03 December 2022 11:19 PM

I think that's spot on Henrik.

RRP1STI 04 December 2022 12:24 AM

Might be worth changing pollen/cabin filter

Hawkeye D 04 December 2022 07:40 AM

Maybe, I guess it's only about 8 months ago I did that, but they do fill up with debris very quickly for me as a lot of trees here.

scoobaholic 04 December 2022 10:11 AM

I noticed the same actually. I think it's cold windows and the first waft of air from the air conditioning seems to contain enough moisture to fog up a bit but it clears quickly. I'd think it's normal but haven't regassed the aircon or changed the filter recently. A great tip to keep the moisture in check is putting a moisture trap inside the car, especially if not driven regularly.

ted bass 04 December 2022 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by scoobaholic (Post 12127465)
I noticed the same actually. I think it's cold windows and the first waft of air from the air conditioning seems to contain enough moisture to fog up a bit but it clears quickly. I'd think it's normal but haven't regassed the aircon or changed the filter recently. A great tip to keep the moisture in check is putting a moisture trap inside the car, especially if not driven regularly.

My old man always sticks them silica gel bags in his caravan during the winter and they seem to work well

JDM_Stig 04 December 2022 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by ted bass (Post 12127467)
My old man always sticks them silica gel bags in his caravan during the winter and they seem to work well

Cat litter in a old pair of tights foot or sock works, and easy to refill,

stockcar 05 December 2022 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by JDM_Stig (Post 12127469)
Cat litter in a old pair of tights foot or sock works, and easy to refill,

always found the stench of Cat Pi&& and Shoite put the passengers off their stride a little..........:norty: