ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Engine Management and ECU Remapping (https://www.scoobynet.com/engine-management-and-ecu-remapping-453/)
-   -   Simtek - Yea or Nay? (https://www.scoobynet.com/engine-management-and-ecu-remapping-453/1066546-simtek-yea-or-nay.html)

Lewtyn 13 May 2022 05:32 PM

Simtek - Yea or Nay?

Greetings to all!

I've had my 1999 JDM WRX wagon for about 6 months now.

It started with engine warnings, returning fault codes 22 & 23, pointing to the MAF. I have managed to find plenty of helpful pointers for here and also had advice from elsewhere.

The O2 sensor was replaced before the issues started and I have carried out the following:

Checked vacuum lines
Cleaned out the IAC valve
Cleaned out the PCV valve
Cleaned the MAF (albeit there was no evidence of any grime on it)
Fitted a new earth terminal between the ground in the engine bay

The cars ECU is SSM, and as I understand there's little can be done with it regards remapping.

While it's most likely that I need a new MAF, I'm considering the Simtek ECU and air temperature sensor, and blanking out the MAF instead, getting it remapped in the process.

The car is completely factory standard at the moment so I'm hesitant.

The question is, what do you knowledgeable people here think is the best way forward?

1509joe 13 May 2022 06:03 PM

Simtek very capable ecu :thumb: Ring Steve Simpson 07836635001

jaygsi 13 May 2022 06:16 PM

Will you be modifying the car in the near future or leaving standard, if you say standard then you have answered your own question.

Lewtyn 13 May 2022 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by jaygsi (Post 12120968)
Will you be modifying the car in the near future or leaving standard, if you say standard then you have answered your own question.

No plans to start modifying really, but I could buy a brand new MAF and may not solve the issue. The bit of extra power is tempting. Also the ability to get more detailed engine info seems beneficial going forward
​​​​​​

stockcar 14 May 2022 08:53 AM

can't see the point of spending out on a 'stand alone' ECU to solve a very basic MAF issue??

do the Simtek's still have electrical board problems??
if you do wish to spend that amount then a Link G4+ would be far more reliable IMO....

Lewtyn 14 May 2022 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Lewtyn (Post 12120963)
Greetings to all!

I've had my 1999 JDM WRX wagon for about 6 months now.

It started with engine warnings, returning fault codes 22 & 23, pointing to the MAF. I have managed to find plenty of helpful pointers for here and also had advice from elsewhere.

The O2 sensor was replaced before the issues started and I have carried out the following:

Checked vacuum lines
Cleaned out the IAC valve
Cleaned out the PCV valve
Cleaned the MAF (albeit there was no evidence of any grime on it)
Fitted a new earth terminal between the ground in the engine bay

The cars ECU is SSM, and as I understand there's little can be done with it regards remapping.

While it's most likely that I need a new MAF, I'm considering the Simtek ECU and air temperature sensor, and blanking out the MAF instead, getting it remapped in the process.

The car is completely factory standard at the moment so I'm hesitant.

The question is, what do you knowledgeable people here think is the best way forward?

I should have mentioned that code 22 is the knock sensor, so two issues...

NOSSY_89 15 May 2022 10:21 AM

The knock sensor is probably in need of replacement, get a factory item or check the wiring because thats what went bad on mine and was repaired. If you want to go mafless (I did) have a look at ECU Labs ECU.

Lewtyn 15 May 2022 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by jaygsi (Post 12120968)

The voice of reason!

Lewtyn 15 May 2022 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by stockcar (Post 12120989)
can't see the point of spending out on a 'stand alone' ECU to solve a very basic MAF issue??

do the Simtek's still have electrical board problems??
if you do wish to spend that amount then a Link G4+ would be far more reliable IMO....

Good point, well made.

​​​​​​As it stands, I've ended up having a few consecutive drives without an engine fault. This is about 3 weeks after the last time I touched anything so I may have done enough for the ECU to relearn. Fingers crossed