ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Can I clamp braided hoses (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/1066278-can-i-clamp-braided-hoses.html)

jaygsi 25 March 2022 11:08 AM

Can I clamp braided hoses

So going to fit new calipers, sure this came up on a thread years ago that you shouldn't clamp braided hoses.

Last time I did, but don't want to knacker them up. But won't to stop the brake fluid from leaking when fitting new callipers.

Is there a trick I don't know about?

Gambit 25 March 2022 11:32 AM

dont clamp just plug the end with something/blanking plug

TECHNOPUG 25 March 2022 12:14 PM

Remove the lines from the brake pipes and fit M10 Dome Nuts over the brake pipe fittings.

Or just be quick and wipe up any spillage immediately. You should be able to swap all the parts over and leave disconnecting the hose from the old caliper and attaching to the new caliper last.

RockyRoad 25 March 2022 05:35 PM

Jam the brake pedal down with a 2x4 against the drivers seat before letting the pressure off via the bleed nipples into a bottle. Should stop most if not all of the leaks. Or, as said above, just work quickly. I've never had a problem just disconnecting the hose from the old caliper and immediately attaching it to the new one.

jaygsi 25 March 2022 06:56 PM

Hmmm interesting, I've just freshly painted them and last time I did brake fluid damaged some of the paint, lucky just on the rear of callipers, still don't like to see my hard work wrecked.

Originally Posted by TECHNOPUG
Remove the lines from the brake pipes and fit M10 Dome Nuts over the brake pipe fittings.

Or just be quick and wipe up any spillage immediately. You should be able to swap all the parts over and leave disconnecting the hose from the old caliper and attaching to the new caliper last.

Shane 25 March 2022 09:05 PM

I've used a nut and bolt with 2 copper washers either side of the banjo bolt with some success, can get a little bit of seepage through the threads but it's minimal.

JDM_Stig 25 March 2022 09:43 PM

Mole grips are fine, just dont crush the Feck out of them, never had an issues in 40 years, you can buy plastic hose clamps if you are heavy handed.

jaygsi 25 March 2022 10:08 PM

Yea got mole gross that's what I normally use.

Originally Posted by JDM_Stig
Mole grips are fine, just dont crush the Feck out of them, never had an issues in 40 years, you can buy plastic hose clamps if you are heavy handed.

stockcar 26 March 2022 09:26 AM

do NOT clamp a braided line it simply deforms............

jaygsi 26 March 2022 08:50 PM

Can i not just get the misses to do it :thumb:

Will give that ago think that might work.

Originally Posted by RockyRoad (Post 12118914)
Jam the brake pedal down with a 2x4 against the drivers seat before letting the pressure off via the bleed nipples into a bottle. Should stop most if not all of the leaks. Or, as said above, just work quickly. I've never had a problem just disconnecting the hose from the old caliper and immediately attaching it to the new one.