ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Importing from Japan WRX STi S4. Tax/Duties payable ? (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/1065968-importing-from-japan-wrx-sti-s4-tax-duties-payable.html)

jbl 06 January 2022 11:18 AM

Importing from Japan WRX STi S4. Tax/Duties payable ?

Not after an exact figure but just a guesstimate.
Rather like the WRX STi S4, JDM of course !
So if I budget around £30K for purchase price and FOB am I correct in thinking I will need £3k for Import Duty (10%) and £6k for UK VAT (20%) ?
Plus other fees so looking at £40K+ in the UK for a £30k car ?
Is this roughly correct ?
Thanks
Brian.

JdmSti2006 06 January 2022 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by jbl (Post 12115425)
Not after an exact figure but just a guesstimate.
Rather like the WRX STi S4, JDM of course !
So if I budget around £30K for purchase price and FOB am I correct in thinking I will need £3k for Import Duty (10%) and £6k for UK VAT (20%) ?
Plus other fees so looking at £40K+ in the UK for a £30k car ?
Is this roughly correct ?
Thanks
Brian.

its wrx s4 with sti parts and doubt You will be able to register it here

NOSSY_89 06 January 2022 01:20 PM

Remember they add import duty on to the total amount as it lands here, so shipping, fee etc. then on that sub total figure they add VAT. Based on the numbers you have given will be closer to £7k in just VAT.

Unless its all changed

domino46 06 January 2022 04:32 PM

If that wasn’t enough, the JDM, WRX S4 will be offered exclusively with a CVT gearbox that has an eight-speed manual mode.For once, the U.S. market actually got the better version of the car.

so does that mean they only come in auto in Japan ??

id be more interested in it if it was a auto anyway lol

hedgecutter 06 January 2022 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by JdmSti2006 (Post 12115428)
its wrx s4 with sti parts and doubt You will be able to register it here

This is a good point; it will need type approval if it is less than 10 years old. That would be uneconomical unless you are planning to import 100's.

NOSSY_89 06 January 2022 06:22 PM

I thought it would be covered in an IVA :confused:

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-approval/...hicle-approval

In all honesty though at that sort of money I just don't think its worth it. The Pound was far stronger when people were bringing in cars new.

jbl 06 January 2022 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by hedgecutter (Post 12115463)
This is a good point; it will need type approval if it is less than 10 years old. That would be uneconomical unless you are planning to import 100's.

Many thanks all for the comments and info'.
Could someone explain why I wouldn't be able to register the car here in the UK.
Back in 2002 I imported a Forester T/tb from Japan and had no problems at all. The T/tb was not available in the UK but was registered with no problem.
The S4 is not available in the UK either so what is different ?
Thanks
Brian.

Vxr2010 06 January 2022 07:10 PM

have a chat with torque gt , they will know every thing , plus give you a correct final price , and advise on the IVA , and then see if it’s viable , the problem is buying cars from japan has shot up , it’s not brexit it the current japanese market 👍😁

jbl 06 January 2022 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by Vxr2010 (Post 12115471)
have a chat with torque gt , they will know every thing , plus give you a correct final price , and advise on the IVA , and then see if it’s viable , the problem is buying cars from japan has shot up , it’s not brexit it the current japanese market 👍😁

Many thanks, will do that.
It does look like it will not be a sensible option price wise, giving a lot of £££ to HM Govt.
Cheers
Brian.

hedgecutter 07 January 2022 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by jbl (Post 12115465)
Many thanks all for the comments and info'.
Could someone explain why I wouldn't be able to register the car here in the UK.
Back in 2002 I imported a Forester T/tb from Japan and had no problems at all. The T/tb was not available in the UK but was registered with no problem.
The S4 is not available in the UK either so what is different ?
Thanks
Brian.

I was assuming the S4 is a totally new model, but don't really know much about it; it looks quite good. All I know is that the recent limited editions, from R205 onwards, couldn't be registered until they were 10 years old, as they were treated as new models. Probably just based on name, so for example,a hatch wrx sti spec C was allowed in but a R205 with same chassis and body wasn't.

stockcar 07 January 2022 10:56 AM

you have always had to pay Duty / Tax / VAT on import vehicles.........nothing has changed