ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Who knows current Building Regs? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/1065526-who-knows-current-building-regs.html)

salsa-king 21 October 2021 04:25 PM

Who knows current Building Regs?

Someone who knows please.. done all the googling I can.. can't find the answer... Even asking those who you'd think should know don't want to commit to putting it in writing!!

Do you need fire rated glass on a bathroom window?
(This is on a purpose built flat, in a building where the bathroom window faces into a communal passage way, which is open end exposed.. not closed in)

Fire regs inspection has said fire rated glass needed, but I can't find anywhere that gives info on what criteria meets the need for fire rated glass... On a bathroom!!!

Anyone got a link to what the criteria is?

lockheed 21 October 2021 05:08 PM

Has building control told you you need fire rated glass?
I would ask a private building inspector and the council building inspector.
Ive had a few brushes with planning and building control.
Give us a little more info on how the situation came about.

lockheed 21 October 2021 05:11 PM

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.sco...6212553d06.jpg

Don Clark 21 October 2021 05:15 PM

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...ved-document-b

andy97 21 October 2021 05:19 PM

I suspect it's to do with flammable insulation on the outside fabric of the tower building. Reason, panic over Grenfell tower inferno. Your case passage protection

30min fire resistance glass and frame. By all accounts fire rated glass is very expensive

stamina_daddy 21 October 2021 05:56 PM

From my experience in loft building but whole house is inspected at the end of build a bathroom is not habitable ie can't be slept in so doesn't need any fire regs.
I know from experience that every building inspector has there own views on these things.
when this happens we call the owner of private building inspector company and its normally sorted.
If its only a small piece of glass then could be only 100 quid.

lockheed 21 October 2021 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by stamina_daddy (Post 12112097)
From my experience in loft building but whole house is inspected at the end of build a bathroom is not habitable ie can't be slept in so doesn't need any fire regs.
I know from experience that every building inspector has there own views on these things.
when this happens we call the owner of private building inspector company and its normally sorted.

Precisely why i said ask local and and a privateer 👍

salsa-king 21 October 2021 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by andy97 (Post 12112093)
I suspect it's to do with flammable insulation on the outside fabric of the tower building. Reason, panic over Grenfell tower inferno. Your case passage protection

30min fire resistance glass and frame. By all accounts fire rated glass is very expensive

£300 a SqM

salsa-king 21 October 2021 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by stamina_daddy (Post 12112097)

it's a good Metre Square sash window..... old. so it would mean a whole new widow on most flats.

Bathrooms, I'm having the issue with and no one will commit.

The FRA was done by an independent who was instructed by the Building Management company... and I question their knowledge.

gazney101 21 October 2021 08:39 PM

As said above the bathroom is not considered a habitable room so would not normally have fire doors, door closers etc, however its part of a partition between the flat and a communal area it should be a minimum 30mins fire rated.
in the past I've replaced with Georgian wired and is sufficient.

salsa-king 21 October 2021 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by Don Clark (Post 12112091)

It's very vague on which windows..... I'm no 100% sure a bathroom is a room requiring it.
page 17
https://assets.publishing.service.go...amendments.pdf

alanbell 21 October 2021 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by salsa-king (Post 12112085)
Someone who knows please.. done all the googling I can.. can't find the answer... Even asking those who you'd think should know don't want to commit to putting it in writing!!

Do you need fire rated glass on a bathroom window?
(This is on a purpose built flat, in a building where the bathroom window faces into a communal passage way, which is open end exposed.. not closed in)

Fire regs inspection has said fire rated glass needed, but I can't find anywhere that gives info on what criteria meets the need for fire rated glass... On a bathroom!!!

Anyone got a link to what the criteria is?

No you dont,

salsa-king 21 October 2021 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by gazney101 (Post 12112110)
As said above the bathroom is not considered a habitable room so would not normally have fire doors, door closers etc, however its part of a partition between the flat and a communal area it should be a minimum 30mins fire rated.
in the past I've replaced with Georgian wired and is sufficient.

the bathroom is off the small hallway...

here's a floor plan....
The window is actually over the bathroom sink... but it's not been drawn very well.... you'll see from the other photos how the flats are laid out and the communal open ended passageways .
https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properti...hannel=RES_BUY

stamina_daddy 22 October 2021 03:16 AM

Or you could just board it over?
plasterboard, ply or mdf?

andy97 22 October 2021 01:22 PM

If this a one off job and not the whole block, just bite the bullet. I had several building reg amendments to undertake in my new build. It wasn't worth the dedication of thought of objection. I just got on with it.

Served me well later, was seen to be amenable and importantly compliant with regs

WRXrowdy 26 October 2021 07:38 PM

Whether a bathroom is classed as non habitable or not is probably irrelevant in this case if the window is in a corridor in the flat block. As said I would be inclined to bite the bullet. I’m guessing the front door is fire rated so any other aperture inside the block I would personally want to be fire rated too.

if the frame is in good order and made of wood, I would replace the glass with fire rated and have the frame painted in fire retardant paint, which can be certificated.

WRXrowdy 26 October 2021 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by stamina_daddy (Post 12112134)
Or you could just board it over?
plasterboard, ply or mdf?

pink plasterboard (fire rated) not ply or mdf.

edit: just looked at the right move link. No you can’t board it over, it’s grade II listed.

salsa-king 26 October 2021 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by WRXrowdy (Post 12112310)
Whether a bathroom is classed as non habitable or not is probably irrelevant in this case if the window is in a corridor in the flat block. As said I would be inclined to bite the bullet. I’m guessing the front door is fire rated so any other aperture inside the block I would personally want to be fire rated too.

if the frame is in good order and made of wood, I would replace the glass with fire rated and have the frame painted in fire retardant paint, which can be certificated.

most windows are in poor condition, so don't open due to sash cables snapping and having the windows just painted up.

New sash windows meeting the garde2 listing spec with double glased glass.... cost £2k a pop!! thats with the bottom as the opener and keeping the top fixed..... fitted..................... £2k.. before you add fire rated glass at £300 a square metre.

WRXrowdy 26 October 2021 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by salsa-king (Post 12112319)
most windows are in poor condition, so don't open due to sash cables snapping and having the windows just painted up.

New sash windows meeting the garde2 listing spec with double glased glass.... cost £2k a pop!! thats with the bottom as the opener and keeping the top fixed..... fitted..................... £2k.. before you add fire rated glass at £300 a square metre.

yeh listed buildings are a ball ache. My wife’s salon isn’t listed as most of the other shops on the high street where it is are, but it’s in a conservation area so the windows needed replacing when we took it on.
7k before we refurbed anything else!

andy97 27 October 2021 07:55 AM

Is this an investment or a project to live in for the foreseeable?

If you're in it to make a fast profit and missed the issue with the windows etc being of a certain style and rating. You are now faced with a reduced profit margin.

To live in-do it right, do it once, enjoy your good workmanship.