ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Drivetrain (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/)
-   -   Throw out bearing advice (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/1064830-throw-out-bearing-advice.html)

NikAgro88 20 June 2021 09:13 PM

Throw out bearing advice

Firstly i would like to say hello and introduce my self as its my first post! My name is Nik and i recently moved to the UK permantly from Greece. I owned a 2004 forester 2.5 XT there and now im here ive just bought a 2006 hawkeye STI.

I was in the process of changing the clutch and right after installing the fork i tested the pedal and it was very "sticky".. took fork back of inspected through hole and noticed on the TOB one of the metal tab things that wrap around the fork was bent.

Of course when tried to straighten it snapped of! anyway put the fork back on (properly) and everything seems fine. Question is what do these tab,wing,fin things do? are they important or can i run it without one of them as everything seems to be ok.

(please say its fine i seriously cant be asked to pull the clutch out again :wall: )

fpan 20 June 2021 09:26 PM

δεν ξέρω να σου απαντήσω στο ερώτημα σου αλλα καλώς ήρθες!

lockheed 26 June 2021 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by fpan (Post 12106743)
δεν ξέρω να σου απαντήσω στο ερώτημα σου αλλα καλώς ήρθες!

Id like this if i knew what it said 🤣

johno01 26 June 2021 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by NikAgro88 (Post 12106742)
Firstly i would like to say hello and introduce my self as its my first post! My name is Nik and i recently moved to the UK permantly from Greece. I owned a 2004 forester 2.5 XT there and now im here ive just bought a 2006 hawkeye STI.

I was in the process of changing the clutch and right after installing the fork i tested the pedal and it was very "sticky".. took fork back of inspected through hole and noticed on the TOB one of the metal tab things that wrap around the fork was bent.

Of course when tried to straighten it snapped of! anyway put the fork back on (properly) and everything seems fine. Question is what do these tab,wing,fin things do? are they important or can i run it without one of them as everything seems to be ok.

(please say its fine i seriously cant be asked to pull the clutch out again :wall: )

welcome nick...good to have another member on board....lots of good folks on here 👍

1509joe 26 June 2021 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by lockheed (Post 12107026)
Id like this if i knew what it said 🤣

‎I don't know how to answer your question, but welcome!‎

Turbovin 26 June 2021 11:33 PM

Won't it be a matter of time before the other tab/wing breaks off too and then there's nothing holding the throw out bearing to the clutch fork = no clutch operation?

1509joe 27 June 2021 11:45 AM

It's probably going to spin then stranded somewhere.:facepalm2:

NikAgro88 28 June 2021 09:10 PM

!

Originally Posted by Turbovin (Post 12107041)
Won't it be a matter of time before the other tab/wing breaks off too and then there's nothing holding the throw out bearing to the clutch fork = no clutch operation?

Originally Posted by 1509joe (Post 12107056)
It's probably going to spin then stranded somewhere.:facepalm2:

Thats the thing, i dont think these tabs hold anything, more like a guide to get the fork installed i reckon. Once installed i dont think it can spin as the bearing has flat spots on each side keeping it square with the fork. The fork then pushes on the beefed up part on the face of the bearing "wings" so nothing pushing on the flimsy tabs that wrap around it. Anyway 300miles later and one track day and its still ok so fingers crossed!