ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Debit card protector cover (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/1064060-debit-card-protector-cover.html)

wrx300scooby 05 March 2021 01:46 PM

Debit card protector cover

Now that contactless is going from £45 to £100 I am going to purchase one of these, can anyone here recommend any particular one?

ted bass 05 March 2021 02:07 PM

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.sco...69d00f07c6.png
I use one of these, dunno if they actually do wot they say tho but hey ho.

hedgecutter 05 March 2021 02:30 PM

Probably quite wise. I had 3 transactions ping up on my Starling bank app during the November lockdown, all just under the limit. I hadn't left home for 2 weeks, and I hadn't used the card for 2 months. Starling claimed I'd authorized each transaction "in app", a new method replacing sms authentication. Apparently I was buying teenage girls clothes and ordering Papa Johns pizza takeaway over 100 miles away.

andy97 05 March 2021 06:13 PM

Why don't you use your phone. I use Google pay. It creates a fake card details so your payment card is not seen for transactions

ALi-B 05 March 2021 06:38 PM

Samsonite and Bellroy do RFID wallets. Both well made and last.

Had both, although the Samsonite didn't hold the old £20 notes very well causing them to get dog-eared, so switched to Bellroy that could take large notes. But that's a bit moot since the new plastic notes are smaller.

Alternative is a soldering iron and cut the NFC aerial/transponder wires

IdonthaveaScooby 05 March 2021 07:16 PM

hardly ever take wallet /cards outside now

have those silver envelopes above when I do

ALi-B 05 March 2021 07:58 PM

Mine only gets used at the pay at pump and the only other recent place was Aldi last year to buy a Turkey.:lol1:

RockyRoad 05 March 2021 11:57 PM

If you don't actually use contactless you can ask your bank to send you a card without it. Mine was very happy to do so when I last asked as I really don't like contactless. It's really not much easier to use especially if you've still got to remove the card from your wallet because you've got a RFID blocker.

andy97 06 March 2021 07:22 AM

I carried my wallet yesterday, probably the first time in 18months. The £100 limit will virtually eliminate requirement for cards and cash carrying.

wrx300scooby 06 March 2021 03:21 PM

Cheers for your input, much appreciated. Think I will opt for an RFID sleeve. I never carry a wallet these days because years ago I thought I had lost it with a substantial amount of cash in it, luckily I had left it at my parents house. Using my phone is a good idea which I will look in to, I am a bit of a dinosaur with tech things.

stevebt 06 March 2021 05:37 PM

I have a couple of wallets made by Dent and they have rfid technology so no need to worry.

RobsyUK 12 March 2021 11:07 AM

Don't these ferrody pouches run out though? If you're that paranoid you may as well use tin foil. Cheaper and lasts longer.

JDM_Stig 12 March 2021 12:35 PM

If you carry 2 contactless cards you dont need any wallet change, it is only if you carry one contactless card that it can be scanned,
People need these for their car key . .

Jonnys3 12 March 2021 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by JDM_Stig (Post 12100771)
If you carry 2 contactless cards you dont need any wallet change, it is only if you carry one contactless card that it can be scanned,
People need these for their car key . .

How do the 2 contactless cards cancel out the scanning ? I've been doing this for years but never realized I might be protecting myself ...

BMWhere? 12 March 2021 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by Jonnys3 (Post 12100781)
How do the 2 contactless cards cancel out the scanning ? I've been doing this for years but never realized I might be protecting myself ...

If you have two cards, then it is highly likely that both cards will react to the scanner and the scanner will get erroneous data causing the scan to fail. It is however no guarantee of failure! Depending on the position of each card, it may still be possible to successfully scan with two cards in close proximity. A scan blocker is the only way to ensure that no cards can be read by blocking the electromagnetic field used to activate the cards. For best results you should use two blockers, one on each side of your wallet with the chip cards in between. If you just have a single blocker in the center of the wallet and a reasonably thick wallet with your contactless card towards the outside, then it may still be possible to scan.

ALi-B 12 March 2021 08:42 PM

Just as an aside; Having two different car keys on the same ring can prevent the car starting as the immobiliser aerial coil can sometimes read the chip in the wrong key.

Similar technology. Same caveats.

Wurzel 15 March 2021 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by ALi-B (Post 12100805)
Just as an aside; Having two different car keys on the same ring can prevent the car starting as the immobiliser aerial coil can sometimes read the chip in the wrong key.

Similar technology. Same caveats.

I have the same issue with my access card for work, I have 2 cards from 2 different companies and if they are together then neither work for either companies card readers.