ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Wheels, Tyres & Brakes (https://www.scoobynet.com/wheels-tyres-and-brakes-13/)
-   -   Spare tyre question (https://www.scoobynet.com/wheels-tyres-and-brakes-13/1063570-spare-tyre-question.html)

ZANY 30 November 2020 09:46 PM

Spare tyre question

Sorry to sound stupid and dumb but nothing new there 😁 :freak3: all but this question has done my head in for many many years and instead of asking I went back to 17 alloys on my car orelse I would have kept my xxr’s 🥰

Spare tyre is 17 this was my main reason to keep my car on 17 alloys and sold my xxr’s few year ago

I have a few sets of 18” wheels now which I wish to use

in case of puncture will my current spare that is 17 as everyone else has be ok to use as an emergency measure to get home if need be or should I start looking for a 5th 18”wheel? In the set I d3 ide to use which are both 18”

what size spare does the rb320 have as they come in 18” aswell :wonder:

all info appreciated thx in advance

johnfelstead 30 November 2020 11:48 PM

space saver, correctly sized 17" or 18" wheel/tyre should have the same overall diameter.

ZANY 01 December 2020 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by johnfelstead (Post 12094032)
space saver, correctly sized 17" or 18" wheel/tyre should have the same overall diameter.

Never thought of that !

thanks ill get measuring 👍 much appreciated

NOSSY_89 01 December 2020 06:43 PM

Ironically I was thinking something similar today. On a classic they came with 16s and now I'm running 17s but overall the wheel size should be the same. However, I've got bigger front brakes and the spare wheel doesn't fit over them as I found out the hard way lol. So I was thinking of changing to a newage spare wheel but I don't think that will work now.

ZANY 01 December 2020 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by NOSSY_89 (Post 12094082)
Ironically I was thinking something similar today. On a classic they came with 16s and now I'm running 17s but overall the wheel size should be the same. However, I've got bigger front brakes and the spare wheel doesn't fit over them as I found out the hard way lol. So I was thinking of changing to a newage spare wheel but I don't think that will work now.

5x100 newage sti bug/blob spare should do the trick for you unless they are bigger than brembo’s?

my minds been put to rest with the above post to b3 honest wish I’d asked earlier

stockcar 02 December 2020 09:07 AM

simply put the spare on the rear and swap good rear to solve problem front.........

NOSSY_89 02 December 2020 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by stockcar (Post 12094116)
simply put the spare on the rear and swap good rear to solve problem front.........

I did think about this :lol1: but if you're in a hurry or on the side of the road where its extremely dangerous I thought it would be safer to not have to do that. I thought the newage overall profile (not sure if thats the correct term) was different to a classic. The reason why you can run 18s easier on a newage than on a classic.