ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Mapping gains jdm hatch (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/1063431-mapping-gains-jdm-hatch.html)

stamina_daddy 10 November 2020 12:50 PM

Mapping gains jdm hatch

I'm in talks with torque gt and the guy is saying that I won't see huge gains for a remap even if I changed centre section and backboxes to a hayward and scott one.
he's basically saying if I don't change the downpipe then its not worth it and I should save my money until I can afford a sport cat downpipe.
From my experience changing the downpipe always makes the car more noisy as well.
Its just over 1k for exhaust and remap.
636 exhaust,420 map.
exhausts for these 2nd hand are like rocking horse s..t it seems.
are these cars safe to drive in 99ron if I decide to not do it with them and do it myself in my own time.
​​​​​​​Cheers

Henrik 10 November 2020 01:54 PM

Might be worth getting a second opinion from someone, like e.g. Slowboy Racing (he's just down the road from us in Brands Hatch too).

https://slowboy-racing.co.uk/

RAGGY DOO 10 November 2020 02:31 PM

I would look at doing the stumble repair before you map the car
A lot of these jdm hatches stumble like mad after they are mapped

hedgecutter 10 November 2020 03:41 PM

My spec c was mapped straight from Torque gt with only a panel filter and the hks mid pipe, and made 349 straight off. However, it didn't hold boost well ( the oem actuator is known to be weak)
As I mentioned earlier, it then had a fuel pressure regulator, hks actuator and 3 point solenoid and made 357.
I'm expecting a sports cat and 3" system to take it to about 365/370.
For peace of mind, and because Torque would use Martyn Jeffery, who would also pick up any other issues, I definitely would have it mapped conservatively. It would then only be a tweak afterwards for a sports cat.

stamina_daddy 10 November 2020 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by hedgecutter (Post 12092650)
My spec c was mapped straight from Torque gt with only a panel filter and the hks mid pipe, and made 349 straight off. However, it didn't hold boost well ( the oem actuator is known to be weak)
As I mentioned earlier, it then had a fuel pressure regulator, hks actuator and 3 point solenoid and made 357.
For peace of mind, and because Torque would use Martyn Jeffery, who would also pick up any other issues, I definitely would have it mapped conservatively. It would then only be a tweak afterwards for a sports cat.

cheers hg.
Did it have that backbox on in the picture you put up as thats not standard is it.
or is it standard for the spec c?
https://www.haywardandscott.com/suba...t-backbox.html
And
https://www.haywardandscott.com/suba...twin-exit.html
this is what i was thinking of putting on pre remap.
I would have thought that and a panel filter would make great gains compared to the oem pipe and boxes on there at the moment.
I'd be happy with 340 to 350.
How did it pan out with the actuator?
Did engine tuner flag all that up then keep car and sort until done or did you take the car back ?
my train of thought is spend the 1k now as I'm unlikely to save that much money waiting for a 2nd hand one to come up or waiting bidding on jap auctions.
Also if I Dont get it done I've still got to travel somewhere for the day and get it done.
Torque are saying its completely fine to not map and to leave as is as without sport downpipe the 1k spend isn't worth it.

stamina_daddy 10 November 2020 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by hedgecutter (Post 12092650)

cheers hg.
Did it have that backbox on in the picture you put up as thats not standard is it.
or is it standard for the spec c?
https://www.haywardandscott.com/suba...t-backbox.html
And
https://www.haywardandscott.com/suba...twin-exit.html
this is what i was thinking of putting on pre remap.
I would have thought that and a panel filter would make great gains compared to the oem pipe and boxes on there at the moment.
I'd be happy with 340 to 350.
How did it pan out with the actuator?
Did engine tuner flag all that up then keep car and sort until done or did you take the car back ?
my train of thought is spend the 1k now as I'm unlikely to save that much money waiting for a 2nd hand one to come up or waiting bidding on jap auctions.
Also if I Dont get it done I've still got to travel somewhere for the day and get it done.
Torque are saying its completely fine to not map and to leave as is as without sport downpipe the 1k spend isn't worth it.

hedgecutter 10 November 2020 05:56 PM

I've driven a spec c with that exhaust, and it sounded excellent; not stupid loud, but released the bark. I had to return with the actuator to tweak the map, but that's just how it goes. It came with the upgrade sti back box, but it's still 2.5". 3" isn't of any benefit under 350bhp, so perhaps that's what they were getting at. Check all H&S's welds are good.
Just be aware that mapping does sometimes lead to further expenditure, like actuators, bcs, fpr etc to enable the mapper to complete a map that works well.
I'd be thinking about a fuel pump replacement, depending on mileage or history.

stamina_daddy 10 November 2020 06:05 PM

Cheers hg.
yes I totally understand about it not always going to plan.
I've been there with my old 05 wrx.
went from standard to full decat and rebuilt turbo.
I uprated pump,injectors and yes a 3 port.

Vxr2010 10 November 2020 09:53 PM

on a new age the standard cats flow fairly well any way , i had a standard 2004 Fsti , re mapped , fuel pump was not changed (which was still running well at 198k mike’s ) and it was a big improvement , a sports cat helps flow and maybe an extra 20 bhp or so , second fsti had a fuel pump done sports cat and a remap , slightly up on power than the 04 fsti , but in real terms off the line nothing in it , a sports cat from Japspeed was a cheap sports cat at 159£ and just passed it’s last mot no issues , so in reality you don’t have to sports cat and it seems to reduce rather than increase noise by having a sports cat , it’s the mid section and back box that’s seems to add the most noise , a mid section straight through adds about 30 per more noise , plus it does help flow , and gives it a bit of a burble

hedgecutter 10 November 2020 10:44 PM

No burble here. Whatever next!

Vxr2010 10 November 2020 10:55 PM

the only one i don’t get a burble on is the one fitted with elh , seems to improve performance and appears smoother power delivery , the other two are very much sounding like a scooby should 😁

man utd 11 November 2020 06:02 PM

My spec c hatch has Haywood and Scott down pipe, Miltek system no cats, pipercross panel filter, rcm fuel pump, mapped by Andy Carr and goes well, easy 350 bhp
done 2 ring trips in it Aug/sept last year Loved it

stamina_daddy 11 November 2020 06:26 PM

Nice,I've ordered the hayward and scott system bar the top part of downpipe.
so will keep the standard cat.

man utd 11 November 2020 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by stamina_daddy (Post 12092774)
Nice,I've ordered the hayward and scott system bar the top part of downpipe.
so will keep the standard cat.

I hope it fits ok! 2 of us bought the Downpipe off them and had to heat it up and bend it to fit properly, luckily our mechanics a Subaru guy so sorted it buy both where way out

hedgecutter 11 November 2020 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by man utd (Post 12092775)
I hope it fits ok! 2 of us bought the Downpipe off them and had to heat it up and bend it to fit properly, luckily our mechanics a Subaru guy so sorted it buy both where way out

Interesting that, cos Paul who had the other yellow hatch in with me got a downpipe cat, and Torque couldn't fit it so they sent another. It also failed an MOT within 2 years and less than 5000 miles, and no warranty due to tracking it.
I'm about to buy one, so torn between Milltek ( convenient for swapping out cat) and cheaper H&S.

stamina_daddy 11 November 2020 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by man utd (Post 12092775)

I won't be anywhere near them.when they try to fit it.

man utd 11 November 2020 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by hedgecutter (Post 12092777)
Interesting that, cos Paul who had the other yellow hatch in with me got a downpipe cat, and Torque couldn't fit it so they sent another. It also failed an MOT within 2 years and less than 5000 miles, and no warranty due to tracking it.
I'm about to buy one, so torn between Milltek ( convenient for swapping out cat) and cheaper H&S.

miltek don’t do a downpipe that’s why we went H&S and wasn’t that cheap to be honest

man utd 11 November 2020 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by hedgecutter (Post 12092777)

miltek don’t make a downpipe, I’ve still got that cat section if your still interested?

stamina_daddy 11 November 2020 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by man utd (Post 12092794)
miltek don’t make a downpipe, I’ve still got that cat section if your still interested?

which part do you have?
Full downpipe or just top catted section

stamina_daddy 11 November 2020 08:27 PM

I might be interested in it if hg isn't.

man utd 11 November 2020 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by stamina_daddy (Post 12092795)
which part do you have?
Full downpipe or just top catted section

bottom of downpipe section MSSUB140

stamina_daddy 11 November 2020 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by man utd (Post 12092800)
bottom of downpipe section MSSUB140

ahh no worries, thought you meant the h and s one

stamina_daddy 11 November 2020 08:43 PM

And fcuk there expensive

man utd 11 November 2020 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by stamina_daddy (Post 12092802)
And fcuk there expensive

no miltek yeah expensive but going cheap haha

hedgecutter 11 November 2020 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by man utd (Post 12092794)

I thought the top bellmouth jap spec was MSSUB150, and the bellmouth plus cat was SSXSB016.

RAGGY DOO 12 November 2020 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by man utd (Post 12092793)
miltek don’t do a downpipe that’s why we went H&S and wasn’t that cheap to be honest

I have a miltek decat down pipe on my jdm hatch

man utd 12 November 2020 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by RAGGY DOO (Post 12092841)
I have a miltek decat down pipe on my jdm hatch

I had one on my litchfield type 20 hatch
Show me one for sale new ???

Vxr2010 12 November 2020 08:29 PM

my local exhaust place said buy a cat less down pipe and they can weld a good quality sports cat into it , i’m sure other exhaust makers can do the same,

man utd 12 November 2020 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by Vxr2010 (Post 12092868)
my local exhaust place said buy a cat less down pipe and they can weld a good quality sports cat into it , i’m sure other exhaust makers can do the same,

ok sounds good but show me a 2.0 Jdm hatch downpipe for sale

Vxr2010 12 November 2020 08:40 PM

what year is yours , i’m sure some one does one , or again just get one complete down pipe made up , most decent exhaust places could do one, other option by a decat h and s and get a cat welded in