ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   car tax ? (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/1062128-car-tax.html)

Steve Scooby 24 May 2020 09:57 AM

car tax ?

Just a quick one ive got a 2006 sti widetrack type uk 2.0 and was registred in march of that year and i pay the lower tax bracket , all well and good but my son has the exact same car but his car was registred 3 months later the same year and he is in the higher tax bracket , i know when people sell there cars and say its the 2.0 version and the tax is in the lower bracket just a warning really to potensial buyers to check when the car was registred as some 2.0 cars are in the higher bracket . I always thought all the 2.0 were in the lower bracket , has the dvla got it wrong with my sons car ? . cheers steve .

Hawkeye D 24 May 2020 10:20 AM

What does the g/km say on your sons V5 log book?

I'd check the engine CC and g/km on his V5 to make sure they don't think it's a 2.5

Check the V149 rates here : https://www.gov.uk/government/public...hicle-tax-v149

Sometimes there can be glitches with the DVLA that go un-noticed for years...if you find anything wrong with the V5, you can open a case to get it resolved.
I think what's happened here is that sadly it's driven by the date of registration (and g/km), and yes, people buying a 2.0 need to be aware of that - on the 2.0 models that must have sat around unregistered for a while and therefore fell into Band M.

Flat4x4-again 24 May 2020 11:05 AM

As above - its about the date of registration around March 2006.

My Forester 2.5 xTEn sneaked in just before. £300ish
My Audi same band was two months later £550 ish

Just one of those things

Vxr2010 24 May 2020 11:16 AM

I don’t think there is a lot you can do , the dvla do get it wrong , i had an 04 Fsti then later registered in the uk 2008 so was getting charged higher tax till i questioned it and it went from 500£ ish to 280£ , the tax is going up on lots of cars now , it’s now 330 £ , i think the government will put more pressure on non economical cars ie scoobies etc , a way round owning a scooby and lower tax is jdm imports as a lot don’t get tested on emissions on import , so i have a later 2007 fsti on around 255£ per year as 0 emissions

Hawkeye D 24 May 2020 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Vxr2010 (Post 12081559)
I don’t think there is a lot you can do , the dvla do get it wrong , i had an 04 Fsti then later registered in the uk 2008 so was getting charged higher tax till i questioned it and it went from 500£ ish to 280£ , the tax is going up on lots of cars now , it’s now 330 £ , i think the government will put more pressure on non economical cars ie scoobies etc , a way round owning a scooby and lower tax is jdm imports as a lot don’t get tested on emissions on import , so i have a later 2007 fsti on around 255£ per year as 0 emissions

I doubt the DVLA gave you any money back?

WRXrowdy 24 May 2020 02:01 PM

Think the cut off point is 21st or 23rd March 2006 to be lower tax bracket than later cars

Vxr2010 24 May 2020 02:03 PM

I think i got one year refunded , but there was some clause saying you could not go further back than that , so basically i over paid for four or so years after their mistake , and then don’t get my money back ?! 😕 but long term it was a lot cheaper 😁👍

mike74 24 May 2020 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by Vxr2010 (Post 12081559)

Agreed. I think older high performance, high emissions cars will become a prime target for swingeing tax rises in the near future as part of the governments push for EV or at least as a concession from the govt to satisfy the demands of the green lobby.

And I'm not talking about a few quid increase, I'm talking going up to be comfortably in to 4 figures per year.

Vxr2010 24 May 2020 02:24 PM

Hopefully some concession for classic cars ie muscle cars etc and hopefully scoobies , when it comes to tax , so how many are going to be left in a number of years time? , the funny thing is EV are very damaging to the environment due to where and how the batteries are made , plus when the batteries die say in 7 to 10 years or so they are not recycle able and are put in landfill , most muscle cars or scoobies produce more emissions but every thing is in effect re use able as parts or metals , i was told a story it was a prius v a v8 monaro , when the prius owner stoped preaching and was made aware of his vehicles environmental damage the prius driver shut up lol 🤣 so an ev is not really the future , i saw a hydrogen car the only by product was water vapour that’s more the future , the corona virus has apparently cleaned the air up a lot which is good but a long term practicable solution is needed

Hawkeye D 24 May 2020 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by Vxr2010 (Post 12081579)
I think i got one year refunded , but there was some clause saying you could not go further back than that , so basically i over paid for four or so years after their mistake , and then don’t get my money back ?! 😕 but long term it was a lot cheaper 😁👍

A clause....how convenient!

Vxr2010 24 May 2020 05:38 PM

about 5 years of expensive clause😕 , as i did not realise at the time it’s when it’s made not when it was reregistered in the uk , but now i always try and buy a 0 emissions jdm import car so it’s not as bad any way