ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Whats best bang for buck? (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/1061713-whats-best-bang-for-buck.html)

wilki 09 April 2020 10:44 AM

Whats best bang for buck?

Morning all,

So next year I will be back in a scooby and I can't wait! So naturally I spend a lot of time browsing the ads, but what's best when considering a "special one"?

I am wanting something a little special next year and its likely to be a hawk at this point. I have read a lot across the different specs but for what they are worth what's best bang for their buck?

1. Type UK Standard and wait for the potential rebuild
2. Forged Type UK
3. JDM standard
4. RB320 as something a little more special but again rebuild may occur
5. Forged RB320
6. Spec C
7. S204 as really special but costs a bit too much

Given say a theoretical budget of up to like £20k what's best? For value add and also value retention?

Thanks again :)

the shreksta 09 April 2020 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by wilki (Post 12077047)
Morning all,

So next year I will be back in a scooby and I can't wait! So naturally I spend a lot of time browsing the ads, but what's best when considering a "special one"?

I am wanting something a little special next year and its likely to be a hawk at this point. I have read a lot across the different specs but for what they are worth what's best bang for their buck?

1. Type UK Standard and wait for the potential rebuild
2. Forged Type UK
3. JDM standard
4. RB320 as something a little more special but again rebuild may occur
5. Forged RB320
6. Spec C
7. S204 as really special but costs a bit too much

Given say a theoretical budget of up to like £20k what's best? For value add and also value retention?

Thanks again :)

it depends what you want it for?
big bhp
track
daily
garage queen

stonejedi 09 April 2020 10:57 AM

Definitely a Spec-C....has all the modifications that the type UK never did, can pick them up for reasonable prices if you are prepared to travel,and with a 20k budget you will have money left over to put your own mark on it.SJ.

wilki 09 April 2020 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by stonejedi (Post 12077051)
Definitely a Spec-C....has all the modifications that the type UK never did, can pick them up for reasonable prices if you are prepared to travel,and with a 20k budget you will have money left over to put your own mark on it.SJ.

Cheers mate, I must admit, RBs have caught my eye but the initial outlay and potential long term associated costs that puts me off. Plus can't put your mark on them really. Are there different Spec C's or are they all the same, with RA's being the next step?

neil97rs 09 April 2020 11:25 AM

As already stated
track day and occasional use a nice spec type r and 20k will get you an amazing one
daily use Hawkeye as way more refined and comfortable nice spec jdm one for around 15 k with money left to play with

rbs are ok but not worth the extra price tag in my opinion

the shreksta 09 April 2020 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by neil97rs (Post 12077057)
As already stated
track day and occasional use a nice spec type r and 20k will get you an amazing one
daily use Hawkeye as way more refined and comfortable nice spec jdm one for around 15 k with money left to play with

rbs are ok but not worth the extra price tag in my opinion

yeah rb320 seem alot of money for what you get.
also with the spec c you lose the subaru burble, may not bother the op but its something i couldnt live without

LewisScoob 09 April 2020 01:07 PM

Spec C for me . Cheaper to tax and more reliable than the UK options. More track focussed than an S204.

rossyboy 09 April 2020 03:01 PM

£20k will get you into a Hawk Spec C RA. I have one you could look at and am near Aberdeen.... except we’re on lockdown :D

wilki 09 April 2020 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by rossyboy (Post 12077079)
£20k will get you into a Hawk Spec C RA. I have one you could look at and am near Aberdeen.... except we’re on lockdown :D

Thought you were in an R205 now bro? Did I see a post a while back? Or is it in transit?

rossyboy 09 April 2020 03:35 PM

It’s stuck at Torque GT in lockdown :rolleyes:

wilki 09 April 2020 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by rossyboy (Post 12077084)
It’s stuck at Torque GT in lockdown :rolleyes:

Dealings with them been positive? I am keen to approach them nearer the time to see what they can source for me :) Jealous of that R205 its awesome!

rossyboy 09 April 2020 05:14 PM

Yeah, you can’t go far wrong with them. They’re not perfect though, so just check everything out like you’d do buying any car.

One good thing they do now is give you a full set of photos of the underneath of the car when you’re genuinely interested. If you’re importing one with them, that would be when it gets here.

I think it helps if you don’t try to hard ball them too much - they’re more likely to fix ‘advisory’ things that are needed if they still have a bit of profit margin to work with.

Vxr2010 09 April 2020 10:02 PM

any forged 2.5 sti , rust free , jdm would also be where my money would go , so a twinscroll would be on the list too

man utd 10 April 2020 05:33 PM

My Litchfield type 20 hatch, awesome spec and history and have a lot of money left over :-)