ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   hay fever...Grrrrrrr (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/106083-hay-fever-grrrrrrr.html)

NeilT 18 June 2002 09:16 AM

anyone else suffering from this evil condition today (and yesterday) :(

the runny nose, the itchy eyes - almost worse than flu!

other than Beconase nasal spray, anyone recommend anything else?

neil
www.scoobyworld.co.uk

BuRR 18 June 2002 09:24 AM

I use Neoclarityn (or whatever its called) and find its ok.

I've found something really interesting out this year.... I recently got blefaritis (inflammation of the eyelids) and as part of my treatment was to "clean" my eyelids twice a day with a cotton wool bud soaked in warm soapy water (using baby shampoo).

I have had NO hay fever symptoms this year, apart from a bit of sneezing last night. No eye irritation at all. Its either the washing of the lids (which is probably wiping all the pollen away) or the drugs.

Hope you find something suitable, as I know how horrible this condition can be.

ChrisB 18 June 2002 09:58 AM

NewEra Biochemic Hayfever tablets from Boots. You can have 4 every 30 minutes if required. As good as anything I've tried and I've had hayfever since I was a little nipper.

dsmith 18 June 2002 10:14 AM

Beconase Spray for the Nose
Opticrom Drops for my Eyes
Topped off with Clarityn

Bl**dy pollen still gets through - but it keeps the worst undrr control.

SeanG 18 June 2002 10:15 AM

Zyrtec. 1 every 24hrs, no drowsyness and okay for mixing with booze!!

Tiggs 18 June 2002 10:40 AM

just got an air filter in the office at home and, while at home, i get no problems at all- even with windows open.

T

Reidy 18 June 2002 10:47 AM

I've had to have an inhaler this year (ventolin) for the first time so it is particularly bad.

It has really helped.

astraboy 18 June 2002 10:59 AM

Vaseline. You can get small pots of it for a squid at sainsbury's. Get a little bit of it and shove it up your nostrils. Make sure its spread well round both of them. What happens is the pollen gets inhaled but gets stuck in the jelly before it can cause you irritation. When you start sneezing again just do it again. This does work. I bought a tiny lip therapy pot for a quid 3 weeks ago. I'm less than halfway through it.
astraboy.

robski 18 June 2002 11:09 AM

I found taking a flame thrower to the 20 miles surrounding my house had a temporary positive effect ;)

must say mines been improving year by year

I try to avoid taking drugs and hope that naturally my body will get used to it and start to become immune

im 99% sure that the yellow **** (aka oil seed rape) causes the initial sensivity, as once that has been harvested my reaction is very very limited

I was told that eating local honey is recommended as it will contain the local pollen, and this will help you to develop an immunity

I try to avoid being outside too much in the late evening as I find this is when the pollen seems "strongest"

robski

p.s. isnt it ****ING annoying how people who dont suffer make out you are complaining about nothing........ :(

MarkJackon 18 June 2002 12:14 PM

I only get it at home really, at work no probs, get home start sneezing, I reckon its the dirty great Beech tree in fron of the house or the 10ft high privet hedge. I like living in an area with green stuff all around but I am sick of the sneezing and wheezing.

Dont suffer with asthma in the winter just the bloody summer, roll on November

brickboy 18 June 2002 01:32 PM

Livostin works for me, but I think it's scrip only. It's a nasal spray, like Vicks, and like Vicks it works in seconds and lasts for hours. No need to wait for it to build up like Beconase either. Small bottle so it's easy to carry in pocket, etc.

Adam_K 18 June 2002 01:40 PM

i use beconase nose spray, opticrom eye drops, and clarityn tablets. still doesn't cure it though :(

NeilT 18 June 2002 02:04 PM

well I've not found a cure yet - apart from Triludan Forte - which worked a treat but was withdrawn from sale due to (I think) reported heart problems (!!)

as 'The Verve' says 'The Drugs dont work...' so I now resort to stuffing rolled up loo roll up my nose to save blowing it every minute! ;)

Neil

astraboy 18 June 2002 02:20 PM

Vaseline I tell ya!!!!
I'll give each of you a tenner if it dont work!!!
I promise you it does!
And its cheaper than drugs toooooo!
astraboy.

Shaolin 18 June 2002 04:23 PM

Im 27 now.........and up to about 25, i never got hayfever!!!
Why all of a sudden........its bloody annoying.

JackClark 18 June 2002 04:35 PM

You could try this...
http://www.geocities.com/ezqlabel/cartoons/HAYFEVER.JPG

Double Doh!

[Edited by JackClark - 6/18/2002 4:36:50 PM]

Molds 18 June 2002 04:45 PM

http://www.torq.xsession.com/art_res_disp.asp?newsid=7

P1Fanatic 18 June 2002 04:46 PM

I know how you feel Shaolin - I was ok until 18 then it kicked in during my A levels. People who dont get it really cant appreciate how bad it is if you get all symptoms - itchy eyes, runny nose/sniffles, itchy throat, sneezing etc

I thought Id done well this year so didnt bother to renew my clarityn prescription and a few weeks back it hit me. Was actually dangerous as I was sneezing so bad whilst driving that my eyes were closing.

I seem to get it worst when the weather is damp, overcast and humid.

Ive heard the one about eating local honey so got to try that one out. Suppose it doesnt help when you go away for the weekend :(

AndyC_772 18 June 2002 04:52 PM

If one antihistamine doesn't work for you, do just try another. I've found that Clarityn don't work for me at all, but Benadryl works quite well. You could try Zirtek too, but I seem to remember you can only have one of those a day, and it wears off by late evening.

Nothing has worked for me quite as well as Triludan used to... shame :(

A.

planky 18 June 2002 05:42 PM

I dont seem to get hayfever really bad anymore,the only time i get a itchy nose/sore eyes is when im cutting the lawn.
So all you hayfever sufferers,the day will come when sore eyes will be no more.

ChrisB 18 June 2002 05:45 PM

I've certainly improved over the years.

When I was a nipper at Scout camp, I regulary used to wake up to find my eye lids stuck down 'cos the pollen dust (or whatever) built up over night.

bug-eyed wonder 18 June 2002 06:25 PM

Use Contac 400, available over the counter. Cleared me up in an hour yesterday.

nib 18 June 2002 10:37 PM

For those of you who found Triludan to be the best may want to give Telfast (fexofenadine) a go. This is by the same manufacturer and is a derivative (aka son-of-triludan). :)

Triludan was withdrawn due to its predisposition to cause abnormal heart rhythms when mixed with other medications & grapefruit juice!!!

Other alternatives are Neoclarityn (desloratidine) - a derivative of Clarityn, and Xyzal (levocetirizine) - derivative of Zirtek.

AJbaseBloke 20 June 2002 10:50 AM

The season is over here, thank goodness :)

I take so many different "things" during that time I am zonked ;)

Claratyne (and derivatives) & liberal Sudafed keeps me going, but I need some better eyedrops...

I dread the end of winter every year :(

NICKBG 20 June 2002 11:23 AM

OK - tried the vaseline up the nose method and guess what ....

It did absolutely naff all !

anyone tried any of these homeopathic methods ??

Nick

PG 20 June 2002 11:46 AM

Zirtek seems to do the trick for me and is on 'buy 2 get 1 free' in Boots at the mo!

Paul

Redkop 20 June 2002 12:31 PM

Zirtec on prescription is more effective than over the counter type. Still doesnt relieve symptons totally though :(

nib 20 June 2002 09:34 PM

Red - over the counter Zirtek & prescription Zirtek are the same thing!!! :)

P1Fanatic 20 June 2002 10:28 PM

Yes but even at 2 for 1 its still more expensive than on prescription :)

WREXY 20 June 2002 11:36 PM

I cop this s**t too. I cop the full version. Itchy eyes, itchy nose, itchy nose canal ie the roof of the mouth where the nose canal goes to the throat, and sneezing.

All the mouth taking medicines/tablets I've tried make me drowsy. I found the simplest and cheapest cure. I use Alcon's Maxidex eye drops, (don't know if it's a vailable in the UK but it is in Greece, at chemists), and it does the trick. It takes a few days to kick in but it works. You see results quite quick, ie sooths you almost immediately. Where I usually cop around 6 weeks of the hay fever each year in Spring with no medicine, with the Maxidex it lasts 5 days. If I feel it coming on, I use it again. I lie down when I put the eye drops in and wait a couple of minutes before I get up. I actually feel the drops run down the nose canal to the throat as well and it does the trick. And the beauty of it is it doesn't make you drowsy.

I've been suffereing this for 30years and for me, I always use Maxidex. Been using it for the last 10 years.

Cheers,

Wrexy.