ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Best rear diff oil (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/1060666-best-rear-diff-oil.html)

seanvx 24 November 2019 02:37 PM

Best rear diff oil

Hi I want to change the diff oil on my 03 jdm sti as I think it maybe failing I'm getting like a rubbing noise when I turn and gets louder harder I turn in

pjarvis6666 24 November 2019 04:51 PM

castrol syntrax gets very good reviews. I plan on changing mine to this

Russell38 24 November 2019 09:34 PM

Motul gear 300

semih 25 November 2019 05:22 AM

motul gear 300 ls

sivo 25 November 2019 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by semih (Post 12066800)
motul gear 300 ls

This ^^^^^^

Siv.

Hawkins 1995 25 November 2019 07:04 AM

Motul

Vxr2010 25 November 2019 08:30 AM

change the oil yes , it could be pad wear ? or if brakes done recently ? then bedding in ?

semih 25 November 2019 11:45 AM

and also check wheel bearings

Turbovin 25 November 2019 04:22 PM

Motul 90 PA worked great for my R180. Castrol LS not so great.

seanvx 25 November 2019 07:09 PM

Ok thanks guys motul it is opine oils recommended fushs titan 90 has anyone tried this , hopefully it's not the diff but I took it out for a blast and when changing gears at high revs can feel it banging from the back but I'm hoping that's just the gearbox mount , could the diff outrigger bush inserts cause like a rubbing sound as I fitted them last week

Vxr2010 25 November 2019 07:21 PM

did you jack it up on the metal plates that bolt onto the outrigger bushes , if they were bent they will make a bumping noise , just check they are not hitting the t part of the outrigger bushes

seanvx 01 December 2019 08:59 PM

Right slight update I changed the diff oil and the oil seemed good although there was a few metal flies in the bowl but I'm not certain the bowl was clean ( I should have used a clean bowl) I checked for any play in wheel bearings drive shafts etc and all seemed good , I just dint have time to test drive it so I'm not sure if the problem is still there ! Could the new oil save it maybe ?

Vxr2010 01 December 2019 11:30 PM

test drive first then see how it goes , i maybe wrong but i don’t think the diff is your issue

seanvx 02 December 2019 07:57 PM

Is there anyway of telling for sure if the diff is done and also if it's the centre or the rear I'm only guessing it's the rear that what it feels like

ray54 02 December 2019 08:59 PM

remove rear prop (breaks down as diagram) test drive..... see if it rules out noise.
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.sco...8696e1679b.png

like others i think you have some other problem.you're going to have to go through possible symptoms ruling one thing out at a time.

seanvx 02 December 2019 09:05 PM

Do you not think it is the diff , I could only hear and feel the noise when turning the wheel more than half a turn and it seemed to only do it on right turns I think , it definitely dint do it when just going in a straight line

ray54 03 December 2019 01:35 PM

What your describing sounds to me like.../ wheel bearing / half shaft / rear strut mounting,
if you can live with it, leave it still it appears more obvious.

diff noise would usually be constant and get louder as you increase your speed.

John 37 03 December 2019 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by ray54 (Post 12067322)
What your describing sounds to me like.../ wheel bearing / half shaft / rear strut mounting,
if you can live with it, leave it still it appears more obvious.

diff noise would usually be constant and get louder as you increase your speed.

Not if it's within the diff. The internals only rotate against each other when the wheels rotate at different speeds. Early LSDs were notoriously noisy on steering lock.

seanvx 15 December 2019 01:40 PM

Right I took the car out today after I changed the rear diff oil and it dint seem to make a rubbing noise or couldn't feel it rubbing but I seems make like a wining noise when changing down ( say slowing down for a roundabout) , I'm going change front diff and gearbox oil and see how goes after that

ray54 15 December 2019 07:00 PM

Fingers crossed ..............buggar when the newness starts wearing off.....:lol1:
notoriously hard to pin down this kind of noise.

Vxr2010 17 December 2019 11:46 AM

i’m still think the rear diff issue is pad disc or handbrake related or wheel bearing , try re creating the noise then put handbrake on lightly or brake lightly and see if it has an effect , the transmission on a lot of cars is noisy , improved by sound deadening , even a simple thing like a split in a gear stick rubber gator or an exhaust loose heat shield can add different types of noise into the mix , the transfer box can sometimes be an issue , diffs tend to whine which gets worse with speed plus can change depending on acceleration ,but a stuck pad or calliper can create a rubbing noise the diff noise is more consistent noise , a pad will create more of an irregular noise as if on off etc , dipping the clutch whilst noise is there can again give you an idea where the issue is