ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   ADVICE: After 5 Years in storage. (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/1059767-advice-after-5-years-in-storage.html)

Alfa-to-Scooby 16 August 2019 12:08 PM

ADVICE: After 5 Years in storage.

Hi Guys, thanks in advance to comments and advice.

After 5 years in storage I'm finally putting my 1996 Impreza Wagon WRX (Import) back on the road. Car is completely original bar a few Powerflex bushes. 6 months prior to storing I did a service which included: Oil and brake fluid change, disc and pads.

So my question is what would you recommend checking/replacing after being sat so long?

Thanks

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.sco...e489c6b765.jpg

rossyboy 16 August 2019 12:39 PM

I would just change the oil and then drive it.

Check for mice damage!

Alfa-to-Scooby 16 August 2019 03:18 PM

No mice thankfully!

Flat4x4-again 16 August 2019 04:27 PM

Anything fuel tank/ filter related to corrosion getting around the system, and very flat fuel ?

I've bought some of that STP fuel stabiliser for this winter when my classic wagon sits in the garage for 5 months as it was chuggy starting and was popping a bit last time. I should think that after 5 years the fuel system won't be tip top?

XPCobra 16 August 2019 04:30 PM

The timing belt will be due a change.

darms 16 August 2019 04:52 PM

nice. I'm currently in the process of getting mine back on the road following 2yrs. Been advised to have the old fuel removed before i attempt to start her up.... first things first for me are some new rubbers.

rossyboy 16 August 2019 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by darms (Post 12059248)
nice. I'm currently in the process of getting mine back on the road following 2yrs. Been advised to have the old fuel removed before i attempt to start her up.... first things first for me are some new rubbers.

Overkill for only 2 years. Just run it off boost until the fuel is used up or add a couple of gallons of fresh stuff and do the same.

hedgecutter 16 August 2019 07:50 PM

"The storage life of petrol is one year when stored under shelter in a sealed container. Once a seal is broken thefuel has a storage life of six months at 20°C or three months at 30°C. Thestorage life of petrol in equipment fueltanks is one month."
From BP.

rossyboy 16 August 2019 09:05 PM

Stored mine for 3 years back in 2006-09, then just added a couple of gallons of fuel to the old stuff. Ran off boost until it was empty and then filled it up.

I still have the car 10 years! later and it’s completely fine.

Overkill!

Thread reminds me of PS Lewis’s Morris dancers oil change.

darms 16 August 2019 09:58 PM

Thx for the comments @rossyboy . Suppose as she’s been outside and think the 1/4 tank fuel may have been closer to 3 yrs (just checked my mot) :wonder:

John 37 16 August 2019 10:44 PM

Change the tyres. They do age. I've had a number fail through old age. Admittedly they were all on trailers.
Antifreeze looses it's anti-corrosion properties.
Washer fluid additives can go to jelly.
Also be cautious of the brake hoses. Better safe than sorry there.
Check engine drive belts. They age too.
Rust is a big problem when I've put vehicles back on the road. Me, not the car. I've just got my motorbike running again after 20 years. I wobbled everywhere for the first few miles.

Alfa-to-Scooby 17 August 2019 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by XPCobra (Post 12059246)
The timing belt will be due a change.

Timing and Aux belts all done, plus new boots all round.

Alfa-to-Scooby 17 August 2019 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by rossyboy (Post 12059269)
Stored mine for 3 years back in 2006-09, then just added a couple of gallons of fuel to the old stuff. Ran off boost until it was empty and then filled it up.

I still have the car 10 years! later and it’s completely fine.

Overkill!

Thread reminds me of PS Lewis’s Morris dancers oil change.

Yes I only left 5 litres in at most when in storage. Just put another 10 litres of 97Ron and seems to be running well.

Anyone use injector cleaner?

Alfa-to-Scooby 17 August 2019 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Flat4x4-again (Post 12059245)
Anything fuel tank/ filter related to corrosion getting around the system, and very flat fuel ?

I've bought some of that STP fuel stabiliser for this winter when my classic wagon sits in the garage for 5 months as it was chuggy starting and was popping a bit last time. I should think that after 5 years the fuel system won't be tip top?

Had to replace a small section of fuel line under the rear passenger seat. At some point I should probably drop the tank and see what the rest are like.