ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   2005 Sti Type UK battery drain-tracker? (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/1059575-2005-sti-type-uk-battery-drain-tracker.html)

SimonCZ 28 July 2019 10:20 AM

2005 Sti Type UK battery drain-tracker?

Hi Guys,

I've looked through old threads on this but was wondering if anyone came to a definitive answer about Sti battery drain? I've got a signifficant (3 amps) drain on my (new!) battery, being huge pain in the ass as the car won't start after a week of not being used. I am aware of the smart alternator requirements etc and both the battery and alternator tested fine. I understand these cars came with trackers fitted as standard and I have looked behind rear wheel arches but couldn't find anything, anyone can point me in the right direction (PM if you prefer) on where the bugger might be located in the car? Would Subaru dealer be able to help?
Thanks in advance for any help!
Simon

ajones3217 28 July 2019 10:38 AM

Think you gotta take glove compartment out and its behind there.

SimonCZ 28 July 2019 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by ajones3217 (Post 12057940)
Think you gotta take glove compartment out and its behind there.

Thanks, will give it a try

Don Clark 28 July 2019 01:02 PM

Was under the impression that a tracker( as against Sigma alarm/immobilisers) were not fitted by Subaru UK until the Hawks came out and even then MY07.

SimonCZ 28 July 2019 04:17 PM

An UPDATE: found the tracker (thanks Don for location tip), removed and the battery drain is gone, happy days :luxhello: thanks for help guys. Surprised how big the tracker was (Siemens Freedom Trackstar)

Don Clark 28 July 2019 04:37 PM

Most likely part of the Smartnav system offered as an accessory which had an RAC Trackstar option available

http://imdomino.imgroup.co.uk/IMGGB/...E/smartnav.jpg

RobsyUK 29 July 2019 09:33 PM

Keep the tracker and install a solar powered charge

Gsi Jay 29 July 2019 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by Don Clark (Post 12057952)
Was under the impression that a tracker( as against Sigma alarm/immobilisers) were not fitted by Subaru UK until the Hawks came out and even then MY07.

Definitely fitted to Hawks, mines got a RAC Trackstar fitted and it's a 2005, never bothered activating it though once the subscription ran out.

Marky1968 01 August 2019 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by RobsyUK (Post 12058123)

I am thinking of doing this with my car, any links as to the best one to buy mate? :)

ALi-B 02 August 2019 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by RobsyUK (Post 12058123)

If its a 3amp draw the tracker is faulty...With the old Tracker Monitor/Horizons it was a dead backup battery (sometimes internal) which its trying to charge off the vehicle battery and it not going into ‘sleep’ mode. Even out of sleep it shouldn’t really draw more than an amp.

In sleep mode (which can take around 30mins on some units), current draw will be milliamps (sub 100mA usually).

That tracker is using 72amp/hours a day! To keep that thing running without using the car you are going to need a solar panel the size of your windscreen and 10hours of sunlight everyday! :lol1:

RobsyUK 02 August 2019 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by Marky1968 (Post 12058338)
I am thinking of doing this with my car, any links as to the best one to buy mate? :)

I didnt have a tracker on my import but heard many do it.

If its parked up for a long time and questions of the size of panel you need yu could leave it on a trickle charge

rob84 02 August 2019 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by Don Clark (Post 12057952)

They fitted RAC trackstar before the hawkeye came out. We changed several for not sleeping correctly