ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   1999 uk2000 rebuild. (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/1059254-1999-uk2000-rebuild.html)

SunilWRX 25 June 2019 09:30 AM

1999 uk2000 rebuild.

My 1999 uk2000 engine has finally given up after 170k .

What options do I have to bring her back to life .

I was going to send the heads off to get checked and thinking of getting a lower mileage bottom end.

So I need to know what bottom end does a 1999 uk2000 have and what is compatible. Any ej205 ? Will one out of a blob eye be the same? Just strap my heads and inlet on?

Not looking for big power anything , been happy with my little td04 and ppp .

Any advice appreciated.

SouthWalesSam 25 June 2019 11:26 AM

Before you spend in the region of £3.5k+ on your engine (assuming that you can't do all the work yourself) consider whether the bodywork, suspension and electrics on your car are easily going to get through several more MOTs.

Most MY'99 classics are showing signs of rust by now (not saying yours does) with even more hidden horrors lurking under the linings.

It may be worth considering investing the money in another runner with a good documented history and a decent working engine.

Alternatively, if you decide to rebuild/replace your engine it will be difficult to resist adding a few timely go-faster mods while you've got everything apart and once you start it'll be hard to stop, I've found.

SunilWRX 25 June 2019 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by SouthWalesSam (Post 12055568)
Before you spend in the region of £3.5k+ on your engine (assuming that you can't do all the work yourself) consider whether the bodywork, suspension and electrics on your car are easily going to get through several more MOTs.

Most MY'99 classics are showing signs of rust by now (not saying yours does) with even more hidden horrors lurking under the linings.

It may be worth considering investing the money in another runner with a good documented history and a decent working engine.

Alternatively, if you decide to rebuild/replace your engine it will be difficult to resist adding a few timely go-faster mods while you've got everything apart and once you start it'll be hard to stop, I've found.

Good advice there mate. I think it's worth saving. It does need some body work but I've spent a small fortune on her over the years. Has a refurbished gearbox , brand new suspension new bushes , wheel bearings etc.. I should probably have shares at import car parts lol

I have spoken to tdr about rebuild and the cost isn't really worth it . I would like to find a cheaper route so refurbished heads and a low mile bottom end seems to be the way to go.

I just need to know what will fit and work plug and play with what I have already

NOSSY_89 25 June 2019 04:06 PM

Try some of the other builders and try Matty's too. If you're using your heads any 2.0ltr should work.

SunilWRX 25 June 2019 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by NOSSY_89 (Post 12055586)
Try some of the other builders and try Matty's too. If you're using your heads any 2.0ltr should work.

Sorry not sure who matty's is . A member on here ?

SunilWRX 25 June 2019 06:56 PM

Been offered a block same at this:

Will it be a straight swap ?

NOSSY_89 26 June 2019 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by SunilWRX (Post 12055605)
Sorry not sure who matty's is . A member on here ?

He is one of the breakers and can be found in the breakers section

Originally Posted by SunilWRX (Post 12055606)
Been offered a block same at this:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Subaru-1010.../dp/B00IGZP68W

Will it be a straight swap ?

Yes it will be. How much are you being quoted because there might be cheaper options

Neilxr 28 June 2019 04:14 PM

Where are you as have a full my99 engine with 82k miles on it with no issues

but I am just outside Glasgow