ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   It sounds like your window or door is open! (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/1059164-it-sounds-like-your-window-or-door-is-open.html)

Rik_WRX 13 June 2019 04:26 PM

It sounds like your window or door is open!

So the above, really.

I've heard it on occasion when I have no music on (glorious Subaru rumble is normally enough!)
It doesn't really sound like the window is slightly down or anything, more like the sound of a door that isn't properly shut.
I thought I was over thinking things, but my other half sat in the back and said it sounded like the door wasn't shut properly!
We stopped to check and found the doors were closed properly.
what else could it be? :freak3:

The car is an 04 WRX Wagon

Rik

BrownPantsRacing 13 June 2019 04:32 PM

2 places this will be coming from.

The first to check are the window gussets where the wing mirror sits. With age they open up over time and don't seal to the window correctly. Wind the window down and check that when the window is down the 2 pieces of rubber nearly close up together. Also check they are not split. If there is still a window sized gap between the 2 parts when the window is down then the gusset will need replacing or squeezing together again with a large pair of grips.

The second place is the door seal rubber itself. They get squashed over time and no longer seal to the windows properly. You can buy small bore fish tank rubber hose and slide it inside the door rubbers to make them larger again and make then seal to the windows correctly again, or replace them with new.

:thumb:

Rik_WRX 13 June 2019 04:51 PM

Thanks for the super quick response mate
Will take a look at that.
Also, my window really badly screeches on occasion when I wind it up/down. Related?

Rik

BrownPantsRacing 13 June 2019 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Rik_WRX (Post 12054927)
Thanks for the super quick response mate
Will take a look at that.
Also, my window really badly screeches on occasion when I wind it up/down. Related?

Rik

Are you getting your balls trapped in the window occasionally?

That is probably a window guide rubber. You'll have to take the door card off and inner sound proof membrane to watch where that's coming from.

Rik_WRX 13 June 2019 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by BrownPantsRacing (Post 12054928)
Are you getting your balls trapped in the window occasionally?

Depends on what mood I'm in.:D

I'll take a look at what you've suggested

Rik

BrownPantsRacing 14 June 2019 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by Rik_WRX (Post 12054929)
Depends on what mood I'm in.:D

I'll take a look at what you've suggested

Rik

:lol1:

Gambit 14 June 2019 12:18 PM

get some silicone spray and lubricate all window seals, then check door shuts/striker plates - also worth nudging the striker plates in a few mm, helps tighten up the seal on door rubbers

the rubbers all shrink/degrade over time

John 37 14 June 2019 10:58 PM

+1 for silicone spray. A good source is dashboard polish. I use Back to Black.
Wrong time of year for this advice but spray ths door and boot seals with it before winter. It stops the doors freezing shut onto the rubbers.