ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   back to the fold (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/1059148-back-to-the-fold.html)

Gav!n 10 June 2019 02:00 PM

back to the fold

Hi, Im looking to come back home to Subaru ownership and looking for some advice. I previously ran an 2002 WRX estate from 05 until 09, I wish I had known about this forum at the time! I have had a Golf R for the last 3 years, but Ive upgraded it to an SUV for my other half and that frees me up to get something more exciting. Was looking at Z4 or S2000 but the little Scooby was the best car I have owned (and I dont cut hair for a living.;) ).

I have always wanted an STi, I am considering a hawk eye and a hatch. Also always wanted a Legacy spec B.

It seems like values have boomed, which is good for me but totally unexpected and quite sad.

I heard some bad things about the 2.5 engine in the sti, is that a reason to go for the legacy?

Also, what about security? It seem like S3, Golf Rs and M135i/235i gt stolen on the regs, Im sure my golf would have gone if it hadn't been garaged. But I only have space for 1 car at night inside, this car would live n the drive. Are scoobys still stolen or have the thieves moved on to German cars?

mike74 12 June 2019 08:28 AM

''It seems like values have boomed, which is good for me but totally unexpected and quite sad''.

This sentence is contradictory and doesn't make any sense.

Why are ''booming values'' good for you (as a buyer) yet also make you ''quite sad''??

dpb 12 June 2019 08:32 AM

I'd have sais something like an Audi owner was more of sheep

Gav!n 12 June 2019 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by mike74 (Post 12054821)
''It seems like values have boomed, which is good for me but totally unexpected and quite sad''.

This sentence is contradictory and doesn't make any sense.

Why are ''booming values'' good for you (as a buyer) yet also make you ''quite sad''??

Apologies for the typo, I meant bombed or dropped.

Seems that the special cars are going up in value, but new STIs are pretty cheap despite being quite rare.

Rusti 12 June 2019 10:42 AM

So you're looking at the latest model, yes they can suffer from the same issues as all other 2.5s, Legacys are great cars but a different proposition to the new scoob, so it depends on what your requirements are.

As for being stolen, yes they are still quite desirable and it can all depend on luck, location among other things, however they're not targeted in the same way Golf Rs are.

John 37 12 June 2019 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by Gav!n (Post 12054765)
Are scoobys still stolen or have the thieves moved on to German cars?

If you want to keep your pride and joy, get one without keyless entry or ignition.
The second alternative which some sites now recommend is a steering wheel lock. It's a sad thing that technology is sending us back to a krooklock from the 1970's.
The third way is to fit a hidden switch in a critical circuit like fuel pump. You could use starter motor but cutting the fuel pump means the engine will crank over but not start therefore making a noise and attracting attention, something thieves don't like.
If you fit a switch, tell no one. Secrecy is the best security.
Read the post on 2.5 engine failures for an answer to that question. I've just replaced my head gaskets (2008 Hatch STI 93,000 miles). With hindsight I wish I'd replaced the pistons while the engine was out. Keeping fingers crossed now.

mike74 12 June 2019 10:49 AM

Ah right the typo makes sense!

Although I wouldn't necessarily say that prices for the newer models have ''bombed''... they just a look a bit more sensibly and realistically priced in comparison to some of the ludicrous prices that some gullible idiots are paying for older models in the current credit fuelled asset price bubble.

hedgecutter 12 June 2019 12:57 PM

There's plenty of forged hatches about; they are great dailys when sorted, and you're getting peace of mind whilst letting someone else pay for most of the upgrade. Or a 2.0l jdm car?