ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Diy cambelt questions. (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/1058850-diy-cambelt-questions.html)

Boostin 02 May 2019 10:23 AM

Diy cambelt questions.

Hi all.

Going to be fitting a new cambelt kit to my 97 turbo 2000 soon. I've watched a few videos on fitting it and I'm keen to do it myself. My question is do I need to buy a cam locking tool to stop the left hand/NS cams spinning off the marks as I'm fitting the belt or is there a way of doing it without the locking tool ? Also it had the water pump replaced when it had the last belt fitted so around 3 years ago, have only covered about 6k miles since so I'm guessing the water pump won't need changing again this time ? I'm thinking I'll just change the belt, idlers and tensioner.

Thanks.

ossett2k2 02 May 2019 12:39 PM

There you go pal,c/o the wizard aka merlin24.

https://www.scoobynet.com/technical-...tml?styleid=28

Boostin 02 May 2019 01:05 PM

Ahh that's perfect mate, thank you very much for that. Also thank you Merlin24 too, nice work !

Wish me luck :top:

Cheers.

ossett2k2 02 May 2019 01:45 PM

Nice rewarding job to do mate,just take your time and you'll be sweet :thumb:

AS Performance is your best bet for the kit,great price and service.

The Rig 02 May 2019 02:01 PM

To be fair you dont need the locking tool. i found it easier without using one , it will become clearer once you do the job to what i mean

stockcar 02 May 2019 03:39 PM

almost certainly wont require a Water Pump even if it wasn't done 3yrs ago...........

merlin24 02 May 2019 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by Boostin (Post 12051931)
Ahh that's perfect mate, thank you very much for that. Also thank you Merlin24 too, nice work !

Wish me luck :top:

Cheers.

Good luck - take your time and it will be alright :thumb:

Boostin 02 May 2019 09:45 PM

Thank you all so much for the response.
Yeah I didn't think the water pump would need swapping again. I think this is only the 2nd pump it's ever had so they must last a long time. The garage that used to look after the car was a very good family friend and he has retired now so that's why I'm giving it a go. Must admit I am nervous about it, but I'm determined to do it and I will 100% take my time and check it's all lined up right. Does anyone know the torque settings for doing up the idlers ?

When I've got it all on and tight, am I right in saying I pull the tensioner pin then turn the engine over a few rotations then check the marks are still lined up. If so then start it up ?

Anything else to look out for ?

Thanks again.

The Rig 02 May 2019 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by Boostin (Post 12051979)
Thank you all so much for the response.
Yeah I didn't think the water pump would need swapping again. I think this is only the 2nd pump it's ever had so they must last a long time. The garage that used to look after the car was a very good family friend and he has retired now so that's why I'm giving it a go. Must admit I am nervous about it, but I'm determined to do it and I will 100% take my time and check it's all lined up right. Does anyone know the torque settings for doing up the idlers ?

When I've got it all on and tight, am I right in saying I pull the tensioner pin then turn the engine over a few rotations then check the marks are still lined up. If so then start it up ?

Anything else to look out for ?

Thanks again.

The pulley marks will all still line up ( should do ) but dont do what i did and expect the white lines on the belt to line up, only about 480 revolutions before they will again ha

Boostin 02 May 2019 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by The Rig (Post 12051981)
The pulley marks will all still line up ( should do ) but dont do what i did and expect the white lines on the belt to line up, only about 480 revolutions before they will again ha

Ha ha ha, I don't fancy turning it over by hand that much !

Cheers mate.

merlin24 03 May 2019 08:31 PM

39Nm for the M10 bolts holding the Idlers.
39Nm for the M10 bolt on the Tensioner ( single bolt tensioner type )
25Nm for the M8 bolt on the small idler if fitted.

Boostin 04 May 2019 07:35 AM

Thanks merlin24 :thumb:

All with a touch of thread lock too I guess ?

As for doing up the crank pully afterwards, is their a specific setting for that too or just very tight ?

ossett2k2 04 May 2019 08:11 AM

Crank pulley is 177Nm and no need for any thread lock.