ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   EJ25 sump on EJ20, which dipstick/tube? (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/1058671-ej25-sump-on-ej20-which-dipstick-tube.html)

agw_01 10 April 2019 06:35 PM

EJ25 sump on EJ20, which dipstick/tube?

Hi guys,

Hopefully a quick one... I damaged the sump on my 05 STi so while it's all apart I'm going to fit the KillerB oil pick-up (EJ25) and windage tray. This way, I can easily upgrade to the KillerB sump at a later date.

I'll be using the EJ25 sump to match the pick-up tube but unsure which dipstick and dipstick tube I need. Is it EJ25 for both, or can I use the EJ20 tube with the EJ25 dipstick? Can't find anything concrete online.

Thanks.

stockcar 10 April 2019 08:05 PM

It all needs to 'match' otherwise you will get spurious readings......

personally dont fine the KillerB stuff that exciting and their sumps only seems o be good at keeping oil below the wind age tray rather than actually stopping surge......

agw_01 10 April 2019 08:52 PM

Thanks, that was exactly what I needed to know! So matching EJ25 sump, tube and dipstick.

I like the idea of the pickup and windage plate and can see how they would improve over the standard items but tbh, I'm not entirely convinced on the sump.

I know the standard Subaru sump doesn't contain much in the way of vertical baffling but nearly all of the pictures I've seen of the KB sump don't look much better either. I've contacted them for more details. It looks as though they've based their sump on the EJ25 sump, which compared to the EJ20 has a much more defined central pot for the oil to collect around the pickup compared to the flatter bottom of the EJ20.

I've read the even the stock EJ25 sump is better than the EJ20, it's just the oil pickups that were more prone to failure.

stockcar 11 April 2019 08:46 AM

the pick-up pipe failure was a 'batch' thing and not something you really see these days...........

an awful lot of 'upgrade parts' seem to be anything but and in terms of sumps most dont actually achieve the main aim of maintaining oil around the pick-up which should be the priority

ma7yEEEx 11 April 2019 09:19 AM

If u are switching from ej20 to ej25 oil pain you need to change dipstick aswell.. And oem oil pick ups are still prone to crack i almost granaded my engine that way. So yes changing oil pick up is a MUST not just some fancy nonsense modification. Who ever experienced it he will know how it ends...Luckily enough my oil pump still made enough pressure so bearings are fine and there is no damage to engine. And of course oil pressure gauge is smth every1 should have in their STi...I order it right after we changed to killer B pick up and they will go on as soon as they get delivered.

Henrik 12 April 2019 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by stockcar (Post 12050452)
An awful lot of 'upgrade parts' seem to be anything but

Good to see someone else raising this too :)

Cost me a lot of money before I realised that the Subaru engineers probably knew mostly what they were doing after all, at least given you stay reasonably within the design envelope.