ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Widetrack sti cornering issues. (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/1058623-widetrack-sti-cornering-issues.html)

burbling1 07 April 2019 06:19 PM

Widetrack sti cornering issues.

Alright folks my sti is pulling straight when accelerating round a corner and tucking in when letting off the accelerator. It does it on both left and right turns, I’d expect a bit of turn difference when on and off the power but this is very noticeable.
Any ideas where to start looking to what needs replacing?
Thanks.,

Hawkeye D 09 April 2019 05:02 AM

See if you can jack it up and wiggle the front wheels like they do in an MOT - left to right 3 and 9 o'clock, then top to bottom 12 and 6 o'clock....
If you can feel loose play or hear any knocking....then you're onto something, perhaps a lower arm ball joint or a tie rod end.

Check all tyres for inner or outer tread wear, this could mean alignment / tracking if you clearly see uneven tyre wear.
None of the above are hugely expensive and are a simple starting point, and can make a world of difference.

Jay kay 09 April 2019 05:56 PM

That's basically supposed to happen. I came from a RWD car and the impreza felt horribly under-steery, but get used to coming off the throttle a little mid bend and you'll realise how effective it is at pulling the car back in line. If your cornering hard and quite quickly, coming off the throttle completely can drag the front in quite aggressively and it'll feel odd but finesse it a little and you'll get the hang of it. That's what I found anyway.

burbling1 09 April 2019 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye D (Post 12050294)
See if you can jack it up and wiggle the front wheels like they do in an MOT - left to right 3 and 9 o'clock, then top to bottom 12 and 6 o'clock....
If you can feel loose play or hear any knocking....then you're onto something, perhaps a lower arm ball joint or a tie rod end.

Check all tyres for inner or outer tread wear, this could mean alignment / tracking if you clearly see uneven tyre wear.
None of the above are hugely expensive and are a simple starting point, and can make a world of difference.

Took it for 4 wheel alignment yesterday and was about spot on, while in the air we went through the bushes front and rear with a decent sized lever and there’s no wobble on anything.

Vxr2010 10 April 2019 10:53 AM

i had an interesting lift off experience mid bend while flat out on the throttle on a track day , some one lost it behind me i needed to go a different direction or get bumped , i lifted off the throttle car went the opposite way lol , i got a gap in the cones the other car went through them oops , so since then i set speed up before corners and keep the power on it does not have to be full throttle but i’m very conscious of a mid bend lift off when you are making a bit of progress