ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Suspension (https://www.scoobynet.com/suspension-12/)
-   -   Tein Coilovers (https://www.scoobynet.com/suspension-12/1058388-tein-coilovers.html)

Marky1968 16 March 2019 02:29 PM

Tein Coilovers

Hi to all,

Wanted to know the difference between these 2 sets of Tein coilovers please,
looking at changing the car setup, and will be just for road use only

https://www.tarmacsportz.co.uk/tein-...coilovers.html

http://scoobyworld.co.uk/catalog/pro...oducts_id=3674

Thankyou Kindly

Marc :)

the shreksta 16 March 2019 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by Marky1968 (Post 12047832)
Hi to all,

Wanted to know the difference between these 2 sets of Tein coilovers please,
looking at changing the car setup, and will be just for road use only

https://www.tarmacsportz.co.uk/tein-...coilovers.html

http://scoobyworld.co.uk/catalog/pro...oducts_id=3674

Thankyou Kindly

Marc :)

i believe the ones at tarmacsportz will be the entry level coilover, i have the flex z on my hawk and im more than happy with them. been on the car a year so far and ive had 0 issues. simon @ chevron supplied and fitted mine.

Marky1968 16 March 2019 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by the shreksta (Post 12047833)
i believe the ones at tarmacsportz will be the entry level coilover, i have the flex z on my hawk and im more than happy with them. been on the car a year so far and ive had 0 issues. simon @ chevron supplied and fitted mine.

Hi Matt,

That's great to know thanks :)

I will probably go for the Advance Z coilovers as they are adjustable, got a lot of other bits to sort to the car
over the next few months, maybe year, ongoing lol :thumb:

domino46 17 March 2019 07:48 AM

iv had a few sets of tien and they all lasted very well compared to some of the other makes around the same price range

the shreksta 17 March 2019 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by domino46 (Post 12047881)
iv had a few sets of tien and they all lasted very well compared to some of the other makes around the same price range

I had a set of bc's on my previous Impreza...........................yikes :(

domino46 17 March 2019 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by the shreksta (Post 12047883)
I had a set of bc's on my previous Impreza...........................yikes :(

yeah for how much everyone say how great they are I think they are crap to be honest ,, they normally only last about 6 months before they either seize or rust so bad they look terrible ,,,, I had a set of the tien on a blob for around 5 years and when I took them off they still looked as good as when they went on ,, and they arnt even that much more money than the BC's but seem to last a lot better

iv got a set of circuit masters at the mo ,,, was looking into the new edfc unit that uses GPS and other sensors to adjust them on the fly instead of just having the settings locked in , looks a good bit of kit

the shreksta 17 March 2019 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by domino46 (Post 12047886)
yeah for how much everyone say how great they are I think they are crap to be honest ,, they normally only last about 6 months before they either seize or rust so bad they look terrible ,,,, I had a set of the tien on a blob for around 5 years and when I took them off they still looked as good as when they went on ,, and they arnt even that much more money than the BC's but seem to last a lot better

iv got a set of circuit masters at the mo ,,, was looking into the new edfc unit that uses GPS and other sensors to adjust them on the fly instead of just having the settings locked in , looks a good bit of kit

100% agree, my bc's lasted 8 months before they rusted solid and after 12 months i had to have new rear mounts due to knocking. i think they are around £750 and my teins were around £870 so for the extra £120 its a no brainer.

wrx2005 17 March 2019 01:51 PM

Tein are crap a step up from bc but still rubbish.
stick with stock shocks and change springs until you can afford ohlins or a quality make.
coilovers are utterly pointless on a road car.
for the record the impreza has factory fitted coilovers anyway.
the spring (coil) fits over the shock.
hence coilover.
Just not height adjustable

RAGGY DOO 17 March 2019 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by wrx2005 (Post 12047901)
Tein are crap a step up from bc but still rubbish.
stick with stock shocks and change springs until you can afford ohlins or a quality make.
coilovers are utterly pointless on a road car.
for the record the impreza has factory fitted coilovers anyway.
the spring (coil) fits over the shock.
hence coilover.
Just not height adjustable

so the impreza has coilovers factory fitted but it’s your opinion
fitting coilovers is pointless 😂😂😂😂😂

wrx2005 17 March 2019 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by RAGGY DOO (Post 12047909)

Replacing them. You think mick

Markyscoob 17 March 2019 05:19 PM

The Factory shocks on a New Age Impreza are ****e. No question. The bump stops are pure comedy and damping is neither soft or hard, just never right. Too much anti-dive and anti squat in the front end too. The problem with BCs is they are powder coated steel, not anodised alloy. A proper hard anodised alloy set will last a lot longer in the environment a shock lives in. I run my BC's in Tegawa neoprene socks and fully coat them in ACF-50. They are now about a year and a bit old and like new under there. Shouldn't have to go to those lengths but we do.

The BC stuff is very different internally as the price points climb, btw. The ER is like night and day to a BR set, the ZR makes the ER feel cheap. I would put the ZR on a damping and feel level with Ohlins, but externally the Ohlins is massively superior.

You always get what you pay for, no question.

RAGGY DOO 17 March 2019 05:28 PM

[QUOTE=wrx2005;12047910]Replacing them. You think mick[/QUOT

Pointless replacing coilovers with coilovers? I bet their all proud of you in kinsale

the shreksta 17 March 2019 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Markyscoob (Post 12047911)
The Factory shocks on a New Age Impreza are ****e. No question. The bump stops are pure comedy and damping is neither soft or hard, just never right. Too much anti-dive and anti squat in the front end too. The problem with BCs is they are powder coated steel, not anodised alloy. A proper hard anodised alloy set will last a lot longer in the environment a shock lives in. I run my BC's in Tegawa neoprene socks and fully coat them in ACF-50. They are now about a year and a bit old and like new under there. Shouldn't have to go to those lengths but we do.

The BC stuff is very different internally as the price points climb, btw. The ER is like night and day to a BR set, the ZR makes the ER feel cheap. I would put the ZR on a damping and feel level with Ohlins, but externally the Ohlins is massively superior.

You always get what you pay for, no question.

i agree you get what you pay for but you dont always have to go for the most expensive option. for a fast road daily driver the teins are fine, they will last a long time and are not too crashy over bumps. also parts can be had quite easily if needed through simon @ chevron.

looking back at my mot history would put my teins @ just over 4k covered, i will be taking the car back to chevron soon for a check up on all of the suspension work thats been done as its been just over a year now so want to make sure everything is still ok. i will report back on the condition of my teins but im guessing they will be problem free.

wrx2005 17 March 2019 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by RAGGY DOO (Post 12047909)

why have you gone for ohlins over tein and bc??
Similar reason you went for ap brakes over k sports etc I'd assume.

RobsyUK 18 April 2021 08:08 AM

Can someone put some links up where I can order the tein flex z for my jdm hawk.
my shocks are knocking and I can't keep greasing them.

Do they come with top Mount's and bump stops or do I need to order these to?

Might as well throw the kitchen sink at it

the shreksta 18 April 2021 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by RobsyUK (Post 12103078)
Can someone put some links up where I can order the tein flex z for my jdm hawk.

i bought mine through chevron motorsport, never had an issue with them at all in the 3 years i owned the car. i know they are a budget brand but they are 10x better than bc racing/hsd etc
im sure mine came with top mounts.

Don Clark 18 April 2021 09:55 AM

Why no speak to them direct, only up the road from you
TEIN UK LIMITED
Unit 7 Avant Business Centre
Denbigh West Industrial Estate
Milton Keynes MK1 1DL
United Kingdom
TEL +44 (0) 1908 632861
FAX +44 (0) 1908 375761

According to this link only 2 sets in stock
https://uk.tein.com/srch/uk_search.p...ine=0&tuvchk=0

lockheed 18 April 2021 11:59 AM

I bought mine from Alyn and their on a par with the Ast 5100s that I took off @£2500.
I paid £840 from As performance
They come with every thing you need, I fitted mine in 3hrs

RobsyUK 27 April 2021 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by Don Clark (Post 12103090)
Why no speak to them direct, only up the road from you
TEIN UK LIMITED
Unit 7 Avant Business Centre
Denbigh West Industrial Estate
Milton Keynes MK1 1DL
United Kingdom
TEL +44 (0) 1908 632861
FAX +44 (0) 1908 375761

According to this link only 2 sets in stock
https://uk.tein.com/srch/uk_search.p...ine=0&tuvchk=0

that's amazing thanks.

stockcar 28 April 2021 09:20 AM

but potentially cheaper if bought from a dealer rather than direct...........;)

RobsyUK 28 April 2021 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by stockcar (Post 12103650)
but potentially cheaper if bought from a dealer rather than direct...........;)

Also a dealer would know exactly what I need for my specific model, year & widetrack.
Someone mentioned getting a 5/5 spring rate. Hands up I don't have a clue what this means. Is it good?

And can I order Friday 🤫