ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Engine Management and ECU Remapping (https://www.scoobynet.com/engine-management-and-ecu-remapping-453/)
-   -   Classic gc8 wrx fresh built engine (https://www.scoobynet.com/engine-management-and-ecu-remapping-453/1058354-classic-gc8-wrx-fresh-built-engine.html)

Master Hussain 10 March 2019 11:19 PM

Classic gc8 wrx fresh built engine

Hi all hope your all well. Apologise admin if this is wrong section.

need some help with my newly built engine its an ej20 block. It has spark fuel and compression. Also checked fuel pressure. But refuses to start. The 1st time i cranked it tried then stopped. Now it just cranks but fails to start.

i checked for codes and it comes up with 11 and 23
so have ordered the crank and cam sensors. The maf has been disconnected which is why maf code is on. Now i have triple checked the timing it is 100 percent. I am baffled the old engine started but problem with that was lost oil pressure and driver head started knocking.

i am totally puzzled so far.
compression checks out all 4 cylinders
removed coil lead with plug and earthed and plenty of spark
after few cranks the plugs are soaked. So i changed 3 sets same. It wont attempt to fire at all. Earthing checked all good. Ive searched google and youtube vids but this one has baffled me bad.

all help is appreciated and thank you in advance.

1509joe 10 March 2019 11:33 PM

Check you haven't got the no2 injector and cam sensors on the wrong way round.

Master Hussain 11 March 2019 03:51 AM

Hey thanks for the reply. I never removed the loom from the injectors as i kept the loom on the manifold with the injectors on it and fitted to new block. I disconnected loom from the sides. I will double check it tomorrow.

Smithys STI 11 March 2019 09:45 AM

Sounds like you have the wrong crankshaft sprocket fitted so it thinks the timing is out.(There are different types)
Unless you are using your original one?

1509joe 11 March 2019 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by Smithys STI (Post 12047296)
Sounds like you have the wrong crankshaft sprocket fitted so it thinks the timing is out.(There are different types)

:thumb:

tjmatt 11 March 2019 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Smithys STI (Post 12047296)

^^ This, if you've put in a newage engine into a classic.
Otherwise dependant on your year(it doesn't say) could you have got your leads on wrong cylinders?

Master Hussain 11 March 2019 03:49 PM

Hi guys hope your well i bought a new crank sprocket and its the same as the old one. Ive got a v3 v4 cross on a 1997 uk2000.

ive tried the old sprocket as well still nothing.

Coil pack is centre mounted and is in same firing order as removed as i also took pictures of fuel lines and vaccum as well. Its very puzzling this one. Has the fuel and spark and also compression.

tjmatt 11 March 2019 09:15 PM

Did it have a new cambelt? If I remember correctly it's possible to *think* you've timed it correctly, but there are two marks on crank pulley an dpossible to to time to wrong one? Sorry it was 10 years ago I did a cambelt.

Does it still have good compression? Or had good compression when put in? Just wondering why it attempted to start and now nothing.

If you've definitely got good spark, good compression etc then maybe easy start to isolate fuel issue?

Which reminds me, if fuel hoses disconnected, they went back on in correct way? Flow and return are correct?

tjmatt 11 March 2019 09:17 PM

Sorry I see you definitely have fuel already...

merlin24 11 March 2019 09:47 PM

Have come across a couple of Vers.3~4 in my time which have been rebuilt and fail to start afterwards.
After investigating the basics, it turned out to be the camshafts incorrectly fitted - Left Hand Inlet cam swapped with the Right Hand Inlet cam.
The only way to tell was to pull the cam covers and have a look.

Master Hussain 12 March 2019 11:13 PM

Hi guys, good news i removed the belt from old engine and checked the rotation of inlet and exhaust cams both heads. I checked the right side which was turning more than usual. Removed the cam cover and guess what intake and exhaust cams wrong way hence why. Once i corrected this it fired up. Thankyou everyone for all ideas. This rules out if you have fuel spark and good compression then there must be something with cams if the engine was freshly built. What i understand is it attempted on 1st key then died lol but i salute you all.